Best Muffeletta?

masq

OK, I am totally ignorant about this sandwich….. we just don’t have them in Nebraska (either that or we call them something other than Muffeletta??). :D

We saw them on a Food Network program with Bobby Flay.

On the show, he challenged the guys at Serio’s Deli to make a sandwich better than his.

We are going to be in NO for a day before our cruise leaves and want to try one of these.

Who makes the best Muffeletta near the French Quarter? Serio’s, Central Grocery, Napoleon House or somewhere else?

Second Vote for Central Grocery...:)

LOOK Before you LEAP....

Take a look at what size they are before you walk up and order "ONE"...

One Muffeletta from the Central Grocery could feed a family...

Then you would have tummy room left and you can walk across the street and toward Jackson Square for a couple of blocks and have beignets and coffee for dessert :p

am I correct that there isn't a sandwich like this in Omaha?

You are correct... there is NOTHING in Omaha that can compare to the NOLA constructed muffeletta... Jason's Deli make a half-hearted attempt to build one but does not come close..

We have to smuggle Community Coffee and assorted Louisiana staples across the border when we return to Omaha from a visit back home...

Oh, by the way... Louisiana is HOME... :D

Masq,

I agree with the other posters. Hands down - Central Grocery in the French Quarter. The sandwich consists of an extremely large bun, multiple cold cuts and cheese slices topped with an italian olive salad/olive oil mix. Most places heat it before giving it to you!

One of my favorite things is to take the muffaleta to the levee near the french quarter and eat it while watching the ships pass in the river! Always a great time (if the weather cooperates).

I live in New Orleans and can tell you all of the places you suggest have great ones.

I see you & I will be on the same cruise! Maybe I'll see you at the meet & greet and can discuss which place you end up trying!

The sandwich consists of an extremely large bun, multiple cold cuts and cheese slices topped with an italian olive salad/olive oil mix.

By "large bun"... Let's say that it is about the size of a salad plate. Slightly smaller than a dinner plate. When constructed, could be up to 4 inches thick.

Once loaded with everything, the sandwich is cut into quarters. One quarter will fill any empty belly and leave room for those beignets. A half will cause you to look for a nice place to nap.

As a previous poster mentioned... take your lunch, along with some cold adult beverages, to the top of the levee and watch the ships go by.. Even the locals to that, not just the 'tourists'.

LInk to photo and NOLA Cuisine write up...

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/17/muffuletta-sandwich-recipe/

I'm hungry now....:(

On a good day, I can manage a half. My wife eats a quarter, andwe bring the rest home for the next day.

The classic Muff is not heated. The key ingredient is the olive salad. The olive oil soaks into the bun and runs down your chin. Ask for extra napkins. A couple of doors down is Sidney's, which sells wine or beer to go. You haul all of this down to the riverfront, about two blocks away.

Life doesn't get much better.

Wow UPCrawfish those look awesome. Dang with all this great food, I might gain 10 pounds before I even make it to the buffet on the ship. :eek: lol

I might have to get the Sally's pralines to go.... with us on the ship.

I want to try fresh Beignets at Cafe du Monde. I have never had those either!! I live the sheltered life.... lol

I think those pralines would make awesome gifts too... if they make it home. ;)

That is cool that NO allows you to walk around with your adult beverage too.

Thank you all!! You have been a huge help!

~Masq~

Wow UPCrawfish those look awesome. Dang with all this great food, I might gain 10 pounds before I even make it to the buffet on the ship. :eek: lol

I might have to get the Sally's pralines to go.... with us on the ship.

I want to try fresh Beignets at Cafe du Monde. I have never had those either!! I live the sheltered life.... lol

I think those pralines would make awesome gifts too... if they make it home. ;)

That is cool that NO allows you to walk around with your adult beverage too.

Thank you all!! You have been a huge help!

~Masq~

Wow, you mean can't walk around with your "adult beverage" in Nebraska?

I think those pralines would make awesome gifts too... if they make it home.

I am pretty sure that anything you purchase in the store can be shipped direct rather than tempt you to keep a few dozen with you on the ship...;)

Ship the 100 count box home. Each praline is individually wrapped and you can add one to a gift box for friends and family..:D

Nebraska
A whole 'nuther country..:rolleyes:

masq, what part of the "red" of Nebraska state are you hiding in...:) Been here for 21 myself.

Was just re-reading a book written by a history teacher I had in college on the parishes of Louisiana and one remark that captioned a photo of "snow" in Alexandria was that it only snowed down there about every 10 years and usually did not last more that a day or two.

New Orleans will get sleet and maybe freezing rain - don't recall ever hearing of snow down there.

It's a bad winter if the water in the dog's outside water dish freezes...:D

It sometimes snows in New Orleans. In 2004, it even snowed on Christmas Day!

I love bringing muffelettas on planes. It beats the hell out of peanuts and is always fun to watch row after row of people turning around and trying to see what smells so gooooooooooooood. But pack them well - you don't want olive oil leaking all over your stuff.

UPCrawfish, I've been in the Omaha area for 36 years. Born and raised here. :rolleyes:

As soon as my DH finishes his BSN in nursing, our time here will be limited. I can not wait to try living somewhere else besides here. Maybe I’ll hate it, but I won’t know until I try.

My DH has lived all over the world because his dad was in the Air Force and their last station was here at Offutt. Then he married me and has been ‘stuck’ here ever since. Lol

Thank you all for the suggestions and we’ll let you know what we think of the muffeletta!

~Masq~

Wow. That is something to consider. We are planning to spend some time in 2008 traveling to different areas we may consider moving to. We'll have to consider the NO area too.

My DH's ultimate goal is to be a Helicopter Nurse. He thrives on the trama aspect. He's been on a rescue squad here for the past 10 years and currently works in the ICU as a tech.

Thanks for the info and Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

~Masq~

Archived