Ship’s Laundry on the Regal

BigGuy25

We usually don’t use the ship’s laundry when we travel. We’re now Elite and traveling in a full suite on our upcoming Regal transatlantic. So, free laundry is now available to us. Since it’s a 14 day voyage it would come in handy. We’ve heard and read stories about ship’s laundry’s not being very gentle when cleaning clothes. My DW is wondering what your experience has been on the Regal ... and, do you have any control over water temperature used?

They wash everything together as far as I know - your only choices on your laundry slip is wash or clean (it is not really dry cleaning however). We always use this service as elite members but my wife will generally wash delicate type items in the do it yourself laundry or hand wash

It's true...Princess' laundry is far from gentile. Holes in underwear is a given after a few washes. They've ruined my Polo and Tommy Bahama shirts for which they've paid claims...not fun jumping through the hoops (claim process), for damaged clothing.

I write cold water wash on the laundry form, but I'm pretty sure they pay no attention. I do take a photo of the completed form using my iPhone or iPad camera in case something is not returned...it has come in handy.

My DW now washes all of her clothing and some of mine in the self-service laundry. Too bad when we have the free laundry benefit and can't fully use it.

Edited by -Lew-

We usually don’t use the ship’s laundry when we travel. We’re now Elite and traveling in a full suite on our upcoming Regal transatlantic. So, free laundry is now available to us. Since it’s a 14 day voyage it would come in handy. We’ve heard and read stories about ship’s laundry’s not being very gentle when cleaning clothes. My DW is wondering what your experience has been on the Regal ... and, do you have any control over water temperature used?

To answer your last question first, no there is no temperature option on the laundry / cleaning. We have used the laundry extensively as we typically go on longer cruises and tend to pack lightly. My wife likes to hand wash or use the self laundry for those items she wishes to have laundered gently. I have all of my stuff go down to the laundry. Outside of them losing a pair of running shorts, I have not experienced any problems with them.

Was on the Regal for 21 days in May and used the free laundry as we were in a suite. I only sent out socks and underwear. I also had my husband jacket dry cleaned and they did a better job than at the cleans on land. I did use the self serve laundry as well. Was pleased with both. The only thing that happened was we ended up with an extra sock that was not ours so gave it to to our cabin Stewart to return to the laundry and hopefully the owner.

Look forward to the day I will be able to use the elite perk .

Free laundry is one of the most valued of all perquisites for loyal cruisers. We really like it and use it, including the free Elite dry cleaning service on Princess. Never had a problem with damage and we bring formal clothes, two tuxes for me on the longer voyages. More than once they have gotten bad stains out of my white tux jacket. On some cruises we have been told there was a three day turn around, but rarely did it take that long. On our last cruise, 29 days, we used the laundry service a lot and it was always one day turn around. Very good, prompt and no rationing. First time I have ever had creases in my cargo pocket Wranglers. I bet we used it over a dozen times, and the cruise had over 80% Elites.

We have only earned free laundry on HAL and Princess, have about 80 more sailing days to go with Regent, until then we will continue using that line's free self service laundry equipment. We have always done it ourselves so never paid to have the Regent's laundry do it for us. To put this into perspective for us, last year we were on a 14 day cruise on the Regal Princess. Our total laundry bill was a little over $500.00 which we got reimbursed 100% for. Not too shabby.

On the negative side: I understand the mass market nickel and dime game is leaning toward no self service laundry facilities at all on some ships.

Elite since 2004 (at least I think that's when it started). I pick and choose; judiciously. They have ruined lots of stuff; no particular ship. They have paid me cash on board for ruined items. Would rather not use this perk and won't for anything I really care about.

Tee shirts OK. Other than holes that show up what can they do to them? Oh yes, I don't think they understand what it means to wash in cold water.

Have sent out new colored t-shirts that came back faded and grey. Only send out what you absolutely have to. Their cleaning services are probably a bit easier on the cloths then their laundry.

On some cruises we have been told there was a three day turn around, but rarely did it take that long.

Being in a suite, the OP should have priority and not have to worry about the turnaround times for elites not in a suite.

Being in a suite, the OP should have priority and not have to worry about the turnaround times for elites not in a suite.

You are correct, I think. Here is the pertinent language for a full suite--- "Complimentary same-day laundry and professional cleaning services."

But like I said, as Elites we haven't had any reason to complain over turn-around times, even when 85% of us were Elites. In November and December we will be in a full suite, let you know later how that turns out laundry wise.

The Regal is no different with ships laundry handling clothes then any other Princess ship.

We have spent at least 1 month on her.

It is the high heat that they use that causes a lot of the damage!! If we have to send something out (which we pretty much do not do anymore) it will be something that we pick and choose as PIA stated above. I will write in big letters on the laundry form "LOW HEAT". Don't know if they have that capability but it seems to work. We just take time to use the laundry facilities on the passenger decks.

They use hot water so beware, we always take enough clothes .

Turnaround time is supposed to be same day for suites as long as the cabin steward picks it up by 9 a.m. Ours never did. We always got it back the next day.

The only problem we've had was a busted zipper on a pair of DH's pants. I dropped them off at passenger services and we got them back the next day. There's a tailor on board who can do repairs.

We have sent out my husbands shorts for their version of "dry cleaning" and the do an amazing job of pressing them on the Regal. Much better than our local Dry Cleaner. Anything I have sent out always is "dry cleaned". I even do this with polo shirts.

Anything that is delicate, I really care about or needs to be washed in cold water waits until I get home.

We were on the Regal last November and again in May and going on Sept 8th for the TA...….We use the elite laundry perk all the time and have never had a problem...….one issue was my own fault as my jeans were shrunk from the dryer...I always hang them to dry at home....Other than that, it is nice to be able to travel and take less.

eclue:cool:

I haven't had an issue but I would call my clothes basic, nothing I wouldn't throw in one load to wash at home. I have a great deal of cotton clothes (cotton isn't what it once was) and I've never had a shrinkage issue.

The dressy tops and slacks I wear for formal night, wait until I get home. I take long cruises (short to me is 14 days) and I've waited a few days to get things back. I travel with a 26" suitcase, quite a few clothes as I like variety! :)

:D:DWe have never had a problem with the laundry on several ships. One caution - we were not prepared and when on a half transit of Panama - with an overnight anchored two things happened.

1) the laundry we put in was delayed 3 days due to enter of the locks the next morning, on the the lake the next day, back up of laundry due to high demand.... oh well, we were prepared.

2) if you ever (even anchored on the lake) leave your room in the evening with lights on and balcony door opened... Y I K E S .... be prepared for many MANY flying bugs when you come back tired and ready for bed..... 45 minutes later we were done killing bugs.... (I know I'm not suppose to leave the balcony door - it was by accident)

:D:D

2) if you ever (even anchored on the lake) leave your room in the evening with lights on and balcony door opened... Y I K E S .... be prepared for many MANY flying bugs when you come back tired and ready for bed..... 45 minutes later we were done killing bugs.... (I know I'm not suppose to leave the balcony door - it was by accident)

You aren't supposed to do that when renting a condo either. One time in Hawaii we forgot and went out to eat dinner. When we got back and flipped on the light, there was a huge spider, legs spread out, right in the middle of the big white wall that went up to the top of the cathedral ceiling. My wife shrieked. I told friends latter it looked like one of those King Crab mounts you get here in Alaska.

It's true...Princess' laundry is far from gentile. Holes in underwear is a given after a few washes. They've ruined my Polo and Tommy Bahama shirts for which they've paid claims...not fun jumping through the hoops (claim process), for damaged clothing.

I write cold water wash on the laundry form, but I'm pretty sure they pay no attention. I do take a photo of the completed form using my iPhone or iPad camera in case something is not returned...it has come in handy.

My DW now washes all of her clothing and some of mine in the self-service laundry. Too bad when we have the free laundry benefit and can't fully use it.

Hi Lew,

Make sure you don’t make any holes in your Patriots shirt. :D

Go Patriots!!!

Tony

Plenty of machines on the Regal. We are not Elite yet but even if we were on a long cruise I'll still use the laundry

25665002668_797b4df34f_k.jpg

Howard

Only on one Regal cruise out of 12 on that ship did I have a problem. They ripped the hem down on my pants. They did sew it back up. But I did not like the way it was done. When I got home I redid it on my machine. White socks came back grey. DH's shirt had pulls. All was fixed on board. That was the one and only trip that we had any trouble with the laundry. I still send our clothing out to the laundry.