Worth playing the balcony game?

arctickitty

My husband and I booked a balcony cabin for the August 2019 RT from NYC cruise on the Caribbean Princess to Greenland, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. We booked it onboard a recent cruise and thus only had to pay the $200 deposit so far. We were told we don't have to pay in full until June 5th. We were also told we can change our stateroom category up until that point.

I'm looking for advice about whether or not to keep the balcony. At the time we booked, we got Sip & Sail with it. We are not heavy drinkers of anything, so we did the math and Sip & Sail is not a reason to keep the balcony. If we bought two coffee cards and had a few drinks here and there, spending for us what would be "freely", it would be much less money. In reality, we would probably get 1 coffee card, bring 2 bottles of wine onboard, and go to Vines once or twice, possibly using the free drink coupons from the Captain's Circle party. So Sip & Sail is not a good reason IMHO.

We have never sailed in a balcony room. We have always previously sailed in Interior rooms except for our last cruise on the CB in which we booked a balcony and then accepted an offer the night before to switch to an obstructed OceanView room in exchange for a 100% refund. We wound up LOVING the OceanView room (it's so nice to have natural light). We liked being on the Emerald Deck, as it was not so far to the Piazza and MDRs but nice and far from the buffet. We always use the stairs, so it was a nice location. We also were lucky because we were in between life boats and had a great view direct out to the water. So we don't know what we're missing with a balcony.

Getting the last minute offer to give up our balcony, however, has us hooked on the idea (roulette, slot machines anyone?) that this might happen again. So...reality check, please? The Future Cruise Consultant made it sound like this cruise was selling fast (maybe she says that to everyone about every cruise?) What do you think? Is there any chance they would ask us to move before final payment? If we don't really <<want>> the balcony, should we just move now?

If you don’t want the balcony make the move now. When we book balconies it’s because we want to treat ourselves and enjoy balcony time.

(y)(y)

Also, don't wait until the DAY of final payment to switch OR pay in full. If there's a problem with your payment, they'll cancel your cruise. Book the cabin you WANT, not what you think might get you a down grade or an upgrade.

If the main reason for switching is because you do not need the benefit of the beverage package, wait until next month when the 3-for-free sale usually occurs. Then see if switching to that promotion would be better for you whether you keep the balcony or chose to go to an inside cabin.

Yes, I would wait until the next promo, September. If it follows the past the next promo will probably will include free gratuities, some OBC and a same category cabin upgrade.

We always enjoy balcony cabins. Like the view, and the ability to see day or night and to get fresh air.

on our last cruise, Princess upgraded us to a balcony for free. It was our very first balcony cabin ever. I won't lie - I loved it. Princess ships are very boring to us because they don't offer many family activities for families with kids, so it was terrific to have a balcony to read a book on for hours. We also saw dolphins! And the sunsets were magical.

Now, we can't always afford a balcony, so our next cruise is in the inside room. But if a balcony is sold at an agreeable price - I'd most certainly get a balcony.

P.S. Drying swimsuits on the balcony is also a plus.

on our last cruise, Princess upgraded us to a balcony for free. It was our very first balcony cabin ever. I won't lie - I loved it. Princess ships are very boring to us because they don't offer many family activities for families with kids, so it was terrific to have a balcony to read a book on for hours. We also saw dolphins! And the sunsets were magical.

Now, we can't always afford a balcony, so our next cruise is in the inside room. But if a balcony is sold at an agreeable price - I'd most certainly get a balcony.

We too like balconies but if the differential between categories is a lot, we book interior and hope for an upsell. Upsell offers (if there are availabilities) are always a much better deal than booking the higher level initially. On our last several Princess Cruises this strategy has worked. However, you need to be satisfied with the cabin you booked if no upsell is offered.

My DH loves it when I book a balcony cabin but I love my travel bargains. The one itinerary where it holds the biggest value for us is Alaska. And there is nothing like having your morning coffee out on your own private balcony. So very relaxing!

However, I agree that the obstructed OV cabins are a great alternative. Not all obstructed OV cabins are created equal ... some have you looking at a wall of orange, so they should be chosen carefully. So, when a balcony is not within our budget, an obstructed OV cabin is our go to cabin type. And yes, the location is great!

We had the beverage package on our last Princess cruise and it was ok. We do imbibe but for me, it’s mostly wine and we also used the package for club soda with an occasional coffee. I was a little disappointed with their wine selection that was included in the package, though. So, when I can save a lot more (it would have to be a considerable amount), I give up the package and book under a different promotion that gives me something of more value. We can order a case of water in our cruise personalizer ahead of time ... no need to haul it onboard when it is $7 for 12 bottles. We also live close to the pier so can take our own wine and then just pay the corkage of $15 each for any bottles beyond our two bottle limit.

Coffee packages are now loaded onto your key card so no physical paper cards are given any longer. Only buy what you need ... any additional coffees are not refunded and cannot be used on any subsequent sailings.

Only you will be able to determine if the balcony is worth it for you but sounds like if you just got the balcony for the Sip and Sail, you may just want to do the math with the alternate options described above.

PS ... those buy back offers are pretty rare, so don’t know if I would count on getting one of those.....kind of like lightening striking twice. What is more likely, if you book an ocean view room and the balconies are not selling well, you may get an upsell offer. This is where you may get an email offering to upgrade you to a balcony for an additional $xxx per person. While complimentary upgrades do exist, they are also pretty rare. I never say never but, they probably won’t be offered on a cruise that is selling really well.

My advice, book the very bottom category in which you are willing to sail in and watch for price drops, upsell and upgrades.

In my opinion, it is a big gamble that you will get an offer to downgrade. We hear of them and the upsells on this board but if the ship has 3500 passengers the statistics probably are less than 5 per cent per cruise and probably on many cruises no one gets any kind of offer.

Over thinking the booking may set up you up to be disappointed. Book the cabin you will enjoy at the price that makes you happy to avoid disappointment. If you get a better deal, it will be a plus. JMHO since you were asking. Have a great cruise sounds like a great one.

Yes, I would wait until the next promo, September. If it follows the past the next promo will probably will include free gratuities, some OBC and a same category cabin upgrade.

We always enjoy balcony cabins. Like the view, and the ability to see day or night and to get fresh air.

I agree with this. We always have a balcony, and I am pretty sure that this cruise itinerary would be much like Alaska, and it would be a huge benefit to have one.

If you are booked, and your fare is refundable, then yes, you can change your cabin at any time up until then.

However, remember, it is not just a cabin change.

This would be a re-booking, under the rates and promos AT THAT TIME.

If you do not think that the Drink Package is worth it, then by all means, consider all other options.

The next Promo might be a really good one for you.

You CAN change to an Ocean View cabin right now...

You should be able to request a rate without the Sip and Sail... At least I think that is what I have heard. You might have to call and do this over the phone, or have your TA do this. But I think it can be done.

And, then, IF YOUR DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE, you can do this again in the future to switch to the new promo.

Same goes for any other price drops or promos.

You are planning way in advance!

The advantage to this would be if you wanted this Sip and Sail promo..

Or, if you wanted to get your name on a specific cabin....

Just make sure that your fare IS refundable, and you can take advantage of any other price drops or promos that might come out.

I doubt that your cruise is booking up that quickly, this far in advance.

You can go online and act like you want to book another cabin, and you can see what availability looks like.

We booked our next cruise under Sip and Sail last year... We wanted to have the drink package this time!

Recently got an email for exclusive Captain Circle Fares... They were too good to pass up.

We could have a a $500.00 bar tab, and still save a significant amount. And this was moving up to Balcony Deluxe, from a regular balcony.

Our final payment date is coming up in a matter of weeks... There are still a lot of Mini-Suites available.

I am not getting my hopes up at all, but might cross my fingers and might consider changing our booking to 'Upgrade' instead of "NO upgrade'.

Edited by Wishing on a star

The first time we had a balcony, we realized what we had been missing! We have no problem with paying extra for a balcony now as it enhances the entire cruise experience 100% for us. We're on vacation so we pay for what we wouldn't normally pay for but I'd give up almost everything else on a cruise to have a balcony. The first time spoiled us. Sitting on the balcony watching the ocean go by, smelling the salty air and just the peacefulness of it....worth every penny!

The first time we had a balcony, we realized what we had been missing! We have no problem with paying extra for a balcony now as it enhances the entire cruise experience 100% for us. We're on vacation so we pay for what we wouldn't normally pay for but I'd give up almost everything else on a cruise to have a balcony. The first time spoiled us. Sitting on the balcony watching the ocean go by, smelling the salty air and just the peacefulness of it....worth every penny!

I am in complete agreement. Until we had a balcony, we did not realize what we were missing. Of course, last cruise we were upgraded to a mini-suite. Now it may be hard to get the wife to settle for just a balcony! LOL!

If you are booked, and your fare is refundable, then yes, you can change your cabin at any time up until then.

However, remember, it is not just a cabin change.

This would be a re-booking, under the rates and promos AT THAT TIME.

If you do not think that the Drink Package is worth it, then by all means, consider all other options.

The next Promo might be a really good one for you.

You CAN change to an Ocean View cabin right now...

You should be able to request a rate without the Sip and Sail... At least I think that is what I have heard. You might have to call and do this over the phone, or have your TA do this. But I think it can be done.

And, then, IF YOUR DEPOSIT IS REFUNDABLE, you can do this again in the future to switch to the new promo.

Same goes for any other price drops or promos.

You are planning way in advance!

The advantage to this would be if you wanted this Sip and Sail promo..

Or, if you wanted to get your name on a specific cabin....

Just make sure that your fare IS refundable, and you can take advantage of any other price drops or promos that might come out.

I doubt that your cruise is booking up that quickly, this far in advance.

You can go online and act like you want to book another cabin, and you can see what availability looks like.

We booked our next cruise under Sip and Sail last year... We wanted to have the drink package this time!

Recently got an email for exclusive Captain Circle Fares... They were too good to pass up.

We could have a a $500.00 bar tab, and still save a significant amount. And this was moving up to Balcony Deluxe, from a regular balcony.

Our final payment date is coming up in a matter of weeks... There are still a lot of Mini-Suites available.

I am not getting my hopes up at all, but might cross my fingers and might consider changing our booking to 'Upgrade' instead of "NO upgrade'.

We will be Plat after our next cruise, and our next two cruises are booked through Princess. I cannot find where is states "Upgrade" vs "No Upgrade" on the reservation, where can I find this.... Thank you for the advice:)

We will be Plat after our next cruise, and our next two cruises are booked through Princess. I cannot find where is states "Upgrade" vs "No Upgrade" on the reservation, where can I find this.... Thank you for the advice:)

This has to be entered via princess or a travel agent, if you are using one. There is also something called a meta upgrade where you can only be upgraded to the next super category and not just within the same catoegory in a different location. With a meta upgrade only, you will only be upgraded from a pin inside to OV or better, an OV to a balcony or better, etc. make sure your travel agent knows what this is when making this request. I’ve found out they didn’t request it correctly because they didn’t know what it was. Many do, many don’t!

(y)(y)

Also, don't wait until the DAY of final payment to switch OR pay in full. If there's a problem with your payment, they'll cancel your cruise. Book the cabin you WANT, not what you think might get you a down grade or an upgrade.

I wasn't going to wait all the way till June 5th, but that's for pointing this out in case it helps someone else! A bummer for someone that happens to.

If the main reason for switching is because you do not need the benefit of the beverage package, wait until next month when the 3-for-free sale usually occurs. Then see if switching to that promotion would be better for you whether you keep the balcony or chose to go to an inside cabin.

Thanks for this tip on the 3-for-free. I think we will look to see if this promotion pops up but not wait much longer than that to decide.

Reading a book on the balcony was my husband's plan for our last cruise! (From which we took the move-over credit and switched to Oceanview). It was Caribbean and too hot for us much of the time, however, so we didn't miss it. The ports are in Canada and Greenland and we expect to have lots of cool temperatures that we will like, but perhaps the public decks will be sparsely populated as a result.

We too like balconies but if the differential between categories is a lot, we book interior and hope for an upsell. Upsell offers (if there are availabilities) are always a much better deal than booking the higher level initially. On our last several Princess Cruises this strategy has worked. However, you need to be satisfied with the cabin you booked if no upsell is offered.

An interesting idea for an alternate strategy! The differential is quite large in this case--about double the price for a balcony than an interior.

However, I agree that the obstructed OV cabins are a great alternative. Not all obstructed OV cabins are created equal ... some have you looking at a wall of orange, so they should be chosen carefully. l

Good points. I know that obstructed OVs have very different views, so I am thinking to not wait past September.

I always look at the price per person per day to determine if a balcony would be worth it for us. If it gets above $15, I'll pass on the balcony. We'll be in an inside next month for 15 nights. We could have afforded a balcony, but it was more than our airfare cost.

we travelled this year to Alaska with four other couples. Two couples booked the trip while the sip and sail package was offered. We waited. We got the 3 free deal and a lower rate for our cabin. 3 free is a.upgraded cabin,. b.obc and c.no gratuities. These items meant more to us than the drinks because like you,. we don't drink enough.

We are presently booked for a long trip in the fall and booked it,. purchased ezair as well. Two weeks later I looked and saw the price dropped,. ezair dropped incredibly and they were offering free gratuities. We rebooked the entire trip and saved a fortune.

Since it is a 2019 trip you have quite sometime til next June to make up your mind I would just keep regularly checking online to see what is offered and how much.

Enjoy your trip:):):)