Where to buy Tifaifai quilts

bogiestack

Instead of Tahitian pearls this trip I was thinking of looking for a Tifaifai quilt like they wrap you in for the anniversary celebration on board. Anyone have an idea on where is the best place to buy one? We will be on the 10 day Society and Tuamotu itinerary

Too bad you aren't on the Cook Island trip. There is a lady in Rarotonga that makes beautiful handmade ones. That is where I got mine. Can't wait until 2017 reunion cruise, I hope to buy another. I was going to send a picture but the file is too big. Sorry:(

Too bad you aren't on the Cook Island trip. There is a lady in Rarotonga that makes beautiful handmade ones. That is where I got mine. Can't wait until 2017 reunion cruise, I hope to buy another. I was going to send a picture but the file is too big. Sorry:(

If I can't find one I guess I will have to make do with a trip back to Tahia Collins...

We bought ours several years ago at the Radisson Tahiti in a little crafts shop they had there for local wares. It hangs on the wall behind our bed and we love it. The Radisson is now the Pearl and unknown if they still have the little shop; might try to call before making a special trip. They had several sizes, colors, etc. Good luck in your hunt!

On most cruises the Guaguines put out for sale these quilts in the bar on the pool deck. I don't know how good the prices are.

I was thinking I went to an onboard activity our first cruise that I thought would be history and demo but they just had ones for sale. I can't find the la Orana from ten years ago to check

Ship can have good ones. Amazing ones for sale at a house on Moorea but super expensive - near the vanilla factory. Can be a year wait! I got a great one for a great price on Huahine about a 10 minute walk from the PG shuttle drop off.

Almost everyday since booking our first PG cruise, (which is coming up soon, but not soon enough), I've become a compulsive reader of everything posted here on the PG board forum. So the first thing I want to say is thanks so much for all the helpful information you've shared here. I've copied and made dozens of notes based on your comments.

With respect to the Tifaifai quilts, I've noted all the various places to look for those that have been suggested here. Are they available in small sizes, like squares of 42-48 inches or so? I'm hoping smaller ones will be more affordable. Does any one remember approximately about what they paid for theirs? I know they'll be very $$$$ but wondering if I should or shouldn't even be considering them

Sounds like they can be ordered. How does that work? Thanks!

Almost everyday since booking our first PG cruise, (which is coming up soon, but not soon enough), I've become a compulsive reader of everything posted here on the PG board forum. So the first thing I want to say is thanks so much for all the helpful information you've shared here. I've copied and made dozens of notes based on your comments.

With respect to the Tifaifai quilts, I've noted all the various places to look for those that have been suggested here. Are they available in small sizes, like squares of 42-48 inches or so? I'm hoping smaller ones will be more affordable. Does any one remember approximately about what they paid for theirs? I know they'll be very $$$$ but wondering if I should or shouldn't even be considering them

Sounds like they can be ordered. How does that work? Thanks!

The woman in MOOREA was insanely priced and I wish I could remember what we paid in Huahine but we felt it was a bargain and my wife was thrilled. Ship prices will be reasonable. Some other woman on MOOREA makes them or PG.

So what ballpark are we talking?

We will be on the PG for the third time in June. Before we go I spend hours happily reading and researching everything I possibly can. I will review when we get back, and give details as I can. This board has been such a help, I can't wait to review for everyone !

On the PG the prices are good. I now remember Huahine. The tablecloth size was around $40. Yes $40 USA. I negotiated a little also. It was handmade also. One of the best buys ever for us in FP.

"hope is born when all is forlorn." 🙂 🙂 🙂

You giving me hope that I may find a Tifaifai quilt I can afford. I know I will be admiring, but not buying, the ones in the price range in the hundreds or more.

Aahhhhh ok. Yes the find in Huahine was unexpected. My wife reminded me of cost. It was a great gift for my daughter. We should have bought more but I was low on local currency and didn't feel like looking for an ATM.

I will bring a quantity of XPF for such opportunities then. Do you remember the location in Huahine? Was it along the waterfront near the ship's tender dock or in the village. Huahine is the first stop in our itinerary but we're booked on an all-day, 9am to 4pm excursion, during the PG's scheduled 8am to 5pm visit there. It will be a little tight, and it's a Sunday.

We also visit Rarotonga, where cruisefun found the one they bought and where we plan to use the island's local transport bus to get around so we'll hopefully have more time and flexibility.

Looks like we'll have several possibilities which is very nice.

I will bring a quantity of XPF for such opportunities then. Do you remember the location in Huahine? Was it along the waterfront near the ship's tender dock or in the village. Huahine is the first stop in our itinerary but we're booked on an all-day, 9am to 4pm excursion, during the PG's scheduled 8am to 5pm visit there. It will be a little tight, and it's a Sunday.

We also visit Rarotonga, where cruisefun found the one they bought and where we plan to use the island's local transport bus to get around so we'll hopefully have more time and flexibility.

Looks like we'll have several possibilities which is very nice.

No idea what will be open on Sunday!

There is nothing near the tender dock. It's a bus ride to the town unless you get lucky and use the town tender dock.

By that dock, looking away from the water (water behind you) walk 5-10 minutes to the RIGHT - you will see the store on the left assuming it's still there. All they had was tifaifai hanging on the walls.

Edited by twin123185

No idea what will be open on Sunday!

There is nothing near the tender dock. It's a bus ride to the town unless you get lucky and use the town tender dock.

By that dock, looking away from the water (water behind you) walk 5-10 minutes to the RIGHT - you will see the store on the left assuming it's still there. All they had was tifaifai hanging on the walls.

Copied and pasted. Thanks!

• 1 year later...