Rum Point - need to go but how?

dizzyc

My husband really wants to do a jet-ski tour on GC, we've done stingray city and are happy to do it again but not bothered if we don't... the jet ski tours I've found go to Kaibo BUT I've always wanted to just spend half an hour at Rum Point to take photos of the signs, have a rum etc. So do we do a jet-ski tour AM then make our way independently to Rum Point PM? Taxis seem expensive but I've seen water taxis go from Camana Bay.... would we have time to do a 4 hour jet-ski trip plus get to Rum Point and back? Or is there a jet ski tour that stops at Rum Point? We are in port from 8am to 4pm. Thanks :)

Oh, that's a shame.... might have to rethink then. Thanks for the reply

Other than the direction signs, Rum Point and the Kaibo aren't that different overall. And you could walk to Starfish Point from the Kaibo, which you can't do from Rum Point.

You could always ask the tour guide if you could swing by Rum Point for a 2-minute stop to take a pic with the sign? It's not that far out of the way.

How long is the drive to Rum Point from the cruise dock?

By road? About 45 minutes each way. You're essentially driving out to "cottage country" on the far side of the island. And it really requires a rental car, as taxis to Rum Point are expensive and you'd need to pre-arrange the return trip and hope the taxi returned on time.

As noted above, a four-hour jet-ski outing would make it difficult to do Rum Point.

But, to just add something for your consideration....

We rented a car and drove across the island to Rum Point. You hit the port pretty early, so you can get a car and get out to Rum Point before much of anyone on island will be out and about. It's about a 45-minute easy drive. We parked at Rum Point and walked back up the shore for some snorkeling. Just drifted with the current back to Rum Point. Very easy. Very nice.

It would be really easy to spend a couple of hours at Rum Point after snorkeling. We didn't stay that long because we had spent a bit longer in the water. Plus, we aren't the lay-on-the-beach type. But, if we were, Rum Point would be a nice place for it...

Before heading back to town, we stopped by Starfish Point. It's just a bit down the road from Rum Point. It's probably not walking distance from Rum Point, but if you have rented the car and driven all the way across the island, there is really no point in not making the stop. It's an easy walk from the parking area to the starfish. It's not a long stop, but it was my wife's favorite part of the day.

As we headed back to town that day, we found a lot of roads around the airport closed for some kind of emergency drill. Panic about not making the ship set in for us, so we went ahead and turned the rental car in and headed back to the port a couple of hours early. If it wouldn't have been for that, we would have driven on around to Smith's Cove for another bit of beach and snorkeling. Maybe next time.

You wouldn't get the jet-ski experience, but driving a small car in a foreign country on "wrong" side of the road is just about as exciting.

We were on Carnival last year and did a catamaran tour that included stingray City plus an hour or so at Rum Point. You may want to consider a cruise line tour.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Forums mobile app

We were considering this excursion from Princess. Would you recommend and would we have enough time at Rum Point to do a jet ski rental for an hour?

As noted above, a four-hour jet-ski outing would make it difficult to do Rum Point.

But, to just add something for your consideration....

We rented a car and drove across the island to Rum Point. You hit the port pretty early, so you can get a car and get out to Rum Point before much of anyone on island will be out and about. It's about a 45-minute easy drive. We parked at Rum Point and walked back up the shore for some snorkeling. Just drifted with the current back to Rum Point. Very easy. Very nice.

It would be really easy to spend a couple of hours at Rum Point after snorkeling. We didn't stay that long because we had spent a bit longer in the water. Plus, we aren't the lay-on-the-beach type. But, if we were, Rum Point would be a nice place for it...

Before heading back to town, we stopped by Starfish Point. It's just a bit down the road from Rum Point. It's probably not walking distance from Rum Point, but if you have rented the car and driven all the way across the island, there is really no point in not making the stop. It's an easy walk from the parking area to the starfish. It's not a long stop, but it was my wife's favorite part of the day.

As we headed back to town that day, we found a lot of roads around the airport closed for some kind of emergency drill. Panic about not making the ship set in for us, so we went ahead and turned the rental car in and headed back to the port a couple of hours early. If it wouldn't have been for that, we would have driven on around to Smith's Cove for another bit of beach and snorkeling. Maybe next time.

You wouldn't get the jet-ski experience, but driving a small car in a foreign country on "wrong" side of the road is just about as exciting.

I have never snorkeled before and am not a good swimmer so I don't like deep water. Is Rum Point a deep snorkeling area?

I have never snorkeled before and am not a good swimmer so I don't like deep water. Is Rum Point a deep snorkeling area?

I would caution against it if you are not a strong swimmer. In fact, I would caution against snorkeling on your own if you are not a good swimmer. Use an excursion. They have folks to help you and equipment that will make it safer for you. Plus, snorkeling from a boat allows you to get in the water closer to the location you want to see without having to swim out to it.

But, to answer the question, the drift snorkel that we did is not too deep. What's "not too deep"? 10-12 feet deep in some points. If you continue to swim out, it gets deeper, then shallower as you approach the reef. Anyone who wants to avoid deep water will probably not enjoy the Rum Point shore snorkel.

I would caution against it if you are not a strong swimmer. In fact, I would caution against snorkeling on your own if you are not a good swimmer. Use an excursion. They have folks to help you and equipment that will make it safer for you. Plus, snorkeling from a boat allows you to get in the water closer to the location you want to see without having to swim out to it.

But, to answer the question, the drift snorkel that we did is not too deep. What's "not too deep"? 10-12 feet deep in some points. If you continue to swim out, it gets deeper, then shallower as you approach the reef. Anyone who wants to avoid deep water will probably not enjoy the Rum Point shore snorkel.

Thanks for the information. I'll skip doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

couple years ago carnival had a excursion that included sting ray city by jet ski,rum point and a bus ride from r.p.with a stop at the cayman brewing.we did the boat to sting ray city and then to rum point for 2 hr stop there