Crown Princess (Grand Class) vs RCCL Freedom or Voyager Class Ships?

We are looking at a wonderful Southern Caribbean ABC 8 night itinerary on the Crown Princess and need your help. Has anyone sailed both the Grand class (Crown Princess) and the Freedom or Voyager Class on RCCL?

As a side note... This cruise will be with our kids, so I'm a little concerned for them regarding activities. My 15 yr old has said that all the extra stuff (flowrider, rock climbing wall) doesn't matter so much for her, but I'm wondering about my 13 and 10 yr old too.

We've only sailed RCCL to date, on the Freedom, Voyager, and Oasis class ships. We really enjoy RCCL and the Freedom and Voyager class for the following reasons. (but are completely open to other cruise lines)

In no particular order:

• Traditional cruising. Good quality MDR food and we enjoy formal nights (including the kids)
  • The for to aft Royal Promenade
  • Great views out to sea from many locations on the ship
  • Lots of activity options
  • Great Pool deck Freshwater pools (freedom class)
  • Large ship without being TOO big
  • Good entertainment

So, how would you compare your experience with Princess and the Grand Class ships versus RCCL and the Freedom and Voyager class?

Thank you kindly,

Dan

I would pick the Crown if going without kids but since you are traveling with kids then go with the Freedom. I have done both and the Crown is a little more sedate than Freedom.

I agree, go with Freedom or Voyager. They have more activities that kids would enjoy, and the entertainment would be a step up.

The food is better on Princess, and drinks are less expensive, but if you are looking at the same itinerary, stick with RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the reply all. Sorry if I didn't communicate this well... Actually, I'm not choosing between the two for a particular cruise. I'm just wondering how the Crown compares to the RCCL ships I mention. Just so I have a reference point.

The cruise that would get cancelled would be a NCL Escape over Thanksgiving. The itinerary on that on isn't that great and it's one less night. (7 night eastern vs 8 night southern). The Crown is an early Jan, 8 night ABC cruise. LOVE the itinerary.

The activities for our younger kids isn't super important. They will have fun no matter what, but it's just a consideration we need to weigh in.

Dan

Thanks for the reply all. Sorry if I didn't communicate this well... Actually, I'm not choosing between the two for a particular cruise. I'm just wondering how the Crown compares to the RCCL ships I mention. Just so I have a reference point.

The cruise that would get cancelled would be a NCL Escape over Thanksgiving. The itinerary on that on isn't that great and it's one less night. (7 night eastern vs 8 night southern). The Crown is an early Jan, 8 night ABC cruise. LOVE the itinerary.

The activities for our younger kids isn't super important. They will have fun no matter what, but it's just a consideration we need to weigh in.

Dan

I have sailed on the Freedom and on several Grand Class Princess ships (not specifically the Crown, though). I loved both lines but with kids I think that RCCL ships might be a better fit. Not even so much for the flow-rider, etc., but just for the general vibe of the ship. The music, entertainment, game shows on the Freedom just seemed all a bit more geared toward a younger audience. I also enjoy the multi-level open main dining rooms.

That said, the aft Terrace Pool on the Grand Class ships is my very favourite area of any ship I've ever been on. The ships are beautiful! And the Piazza atrium area of the Princess ships is far more my 'style' than the Promenade. The kids would probably love the pool deck area on Princess where there is a great pizza place and hot-dog/hamburger grill that serves really good burgers and fries. Movies under the Stars is done really, really well on Princess. For the evening shows they put lovely padding and pillows on all the loungers and serve up free popcorn, cookies and milk if you want.

I hope that this helps.

Thank you very much Tiggerontheseas. Yes, that is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!

...and I agree, that aft pool looks awesome. Love the open view of the wake, and in the Caribbean it will be all those beautiful shades of blue. I saw that pool in some YouTube videos I've been scouring of the Crown.

Dan

I have sailed on the Voyager class (Explorer of the Seas) and several times on the Crown. Just to let you know, the Crown is not in the Grand Class of ships but in the Crown class. I do really like this ship, though, although she doesn't have an indoor pool area which is a must for me now that I can't spend too much time out in the sun. And, I do love the Caribe cafe area, which is missing on the Grand class of ships.

In comparison to RCCL, I don't think Princess ships are nearly as nice or maintained as well. The Explorer of the Seas was the prettiest, most wonderfully designed and most immaculately maintained ship on which I have sailed. She was already 16 years old at the time I cruised on her, albeit with a dry dock the year before that.

The food is definitely better on Princess, though IMO. Plus, there seems to always be a time during the day when you can grab a quick bite to eat on Princess ... whereas your options are more limited on RCCL. They actually have a time in the late morning when the buffet was closed ... for like an hour (maybe more?). I just wanted a small salad and had to either go back to my room and order through room service or wait until they opened. The food in the specialty restaurants is awesome on both lines!!

The entertainment is a bit better on RCCL. I absolutely loved the ice skating show.

The rooms on RCCL are designed better and think they are larger .. but I do like the open closet design you will find on the Crown a lot more!!

I have never seen as many lines and crowds for any and everything on RCCL. Maybe just on that particular sailing??? Maybe that class is just to big for my liking.

However, these are all subjective opinions and I am sure someone else may have different thoughts.

I think there are a lot more things that kids would enjoy on RCCL. I never cruise during the summer when kids are out of school but would still bet that Princess would have an older crowd onboard. The Crown does have a very dilapidated mini-golf course up top and they do have MUTS (movies under the Stars) by the pool, but that would be about it for kids. They don't have a rock climbing wall or flowrider ... nothing else like that, although I have seen a basketball court up top near the mini-golf.

With whichever line you cruise, you've picked a fabulous itinerary so am sure you will have a great time.

I think the weather plays a major part. When it is cold and raining The Crown feels very dark and crowded. Movies under the stars isn't enjoyable when it's blowing a gale or pouring with rain. When it's warm more people eat outside so the Horizon Court doesn't feel so crowded. I was on the Med cruise and really noticed the difference that the weather made to both the passengers and the staff.

I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean in Europe but I think there would be more fun things to do if you couldn't get on the outside decks.

V O Y A G E R!!!!!! no question!!!!!! no need to explain... Just the WOW of the ship......The Crown doesn't compare to the larger RCI ships I've sailed on her a total of 6 weeks in the last year....and have been on a Voyager class ship over 18 weeks in the last 10 years with kids.

Edited by land lover

I actually liked my Explorer of the Seas cruise better than the Crown Princess cruise.

I would probably do RCCL with kids and when they are older, do Princess. Or at least ask the 13 and 10 year old how important those activities are before making a decision. If it is not important, then try Princess.

Dan, I have sailed on Voyager,Freedom, and Oasis class. Anyone of those are better suited for your kids. More options for them. The flowrider, rock wall, zipline, ice rink, plus adventure ocean is a wonderful program. We saw our kids at dinner; other than that they were somewhere on the ship doing so much stuff. Princess has the kids program; but does not have all the other fun stuff like Royal Caribbean has.

Dan, I have sailed on Voyager,Freedom, and Oasis class. Anyone of those are better suited for your kids. More options for them. The flowrider, rock wall, zipline, ice rink, plus adventure ocean is a wonderful program. We saw our kids at dinner; other than that they were somewhere on the ship doing so much stuff. Princess has the kids program; but does not have all the other fun stuff like Royal Caribbean has.

Thanks for the reply. We want a 7 or 8 night itinerary, and only Oasis class are sailing 7 night itineraries during the weeks we want to go. Our kids have been on Voyager and Freedom classes and they absolutely loved them. Only my wife and I have been on Oasis class, and they weren't our favorite. Plus, my in laws are going with, and getting around on those massive Oasis class ships would wear them out I think. Believe me, if there was a sailing on one of the other two classes that worked for us, we would jump at it. Maybe we'll just stay with our 7 night eastern itinerary on the NCL Escape as we had planned. I'm still not sold on the Escape though.

Dan

• 4 months later...

What did you decide?

I’ve never done RCCL - they always price out too high for our large family.

I haven’t, and probably wouldn’t, take my children on an extended Princess cruise. For grown ups only it is hands-down my favorite.

I haven’t been on Escape, but NCL Getaway was an AMAZING week for us. I’d do the same itinerary to do that ship or sister Escape again. SOOOO much to do.

Next family cruise is MSC Seaside in June which I’m hoping will favorably compare.

If you are choosing between Princess and NCL I would have to say Princess hands down. The food and drinks are so much better than NCL. I did enjoy the shows on NCL but was so disappointed in the whole ship. I just love the piazza -staircase etc. and the aft pool is a great place to hang out on Princss. We are doing the 8 day So. Caribbean in Feb. can't wait. You will be on vacation so just enjoy whatever you choose!