Izumi Sushi restaurant review

Coolmom50

We will be going on Allure in July and wanted to go to Izumi for the hibachi experience. None of us like sushi at all. We will also have a 4 night dinner package. Are we able to just get the hibachi dinner on our plan? What does it include? I looked at the menu, but was quite confused. Thanks for your help.

We will be going on Allure in July and wanted to go to Izumi for the hibachi experience. None of us like sushi at all. We will also have a 4 night dinner package. Are we able to just get the hibachi dinner on our plan? What does it include? I looked at the menu, but was quite confused. Thanks for your help.

You can get $30/package credit for whatever is on menu, excluding alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had the four night dining package and could choose from a range of items including beef, chicken, shrimp, lobster. (You can choose any two). I am sure it was listed at $39. We were not charged any extra. You are served a salad first then your chef serves you freshly cooked veggies followed by fried rice cooked at your table closely followed by your beef, chicken etc.

Hope this helps...

My experience was very different. I've had sushi at a variety of places in Japan including at the famous sukiyabashi jiro; I think this gives me a benchmark against which I can measure good sushi. Izumi is not on the same planet as good sushi.

Compared to normal mall-counter sushi in NZ (the mass-market everyone-is-happy option) the nigiri at Izumi is inferior in terms of freshness and taste; compared to a restaurant at the same price point as Izumi the nigiri is terrible. I'm convinced the salmon roe I was served had been frozen - either that or they were the saddest looking roe I've seen in my life.

Presentation was adequate but below average for a restaurant trying to be a little bit special. Some laziness was apparent though. For example, going back to my roe example the piece of seaweed surrounding the rice and supporting the row didn't go all the way around - the gap was perhaps half a cm. The knife work was generally sloppy too with none of the fish cut to a eye-pleasing shape. The eel in particular looked unappealing with a long flap of soggy skin drooping off the end of its piece of rice onto the plate.

The ramen was bad - the soup simply lacked any real flavour (it tasted of hot water with a hint of chilli added). The noodles were of the quality you get in the fridge of any Asian shop.

The hot stone was fine but then there is no skill needed to heat a stone and then provide the guest with some slices of fillet steak to cook themselves. The fried rice that came with it was cold, stale, and tasteless.

The roll sushi was mediocre and suffered from the ingredients not being fresh.

It's the sort of Japanese food you'd not buy twice unless you had to. If compared to a land restaurant I'd give it 2 out of 5.

Compared to the buffet food Izumi was absolutely fantastic; but clearly I'm not being complementary here.

This was on Explorer.

I kind of chuckled at the "best sushi outside of Japan" as well. As I mentioned in my previous comment, we have a Jiro level sushi place in Miami, but certainly not on a cruise ship :) Although comparing Izumi with Jiro seems odd, they aren't remotely the same type of restaurant and not something you would compare or use as a benchmark.

Could you imagine the upcharge for that quality?

Jiro was about $20 NZD a piece and so I guess at Izumi prices you'd get two pieces. I'd pay for 20 pieces for dinner in a heartbeat if they matched the standard.

If they're freezing their fish then there is no chance of the sushi being good. Life expectancy and health in old age are better in Japan than the US and so the freezing of sushi fish isn't helping by the look of it.

The only land based sushi I've eaten has been from Japan, NZ and Australia. I know now not to bother even trying next time I'm in the US.

The only land based sushi I've eaten has been from Japan, NZ and Australia. I know now not to bother even trying next time I'm in the US.

As I said, you would be very short sighted with that view of the US. In Miami, we have, what Forbes Travel Guide rated as one of the top 3 Japanese restaurants in the world. TIME has it rated as one of the top 25 restaurants, overall, in the US. It's highly acclaimed as one of the worlds best sushi restaurants. I don't think you'll find better in NZ or Australia.

FWIW: http://www.thesushilegend.com/naoe.html

Edited by BNBR

We had the four night dining package and could choose from a range of items including beef, chicken, shrimp, lobster. (You can choose any two). I am sure it was listed at $39. We were not charged any extra. You are served a salad first then your chef serves you freshly cooked veggies followed by fried rice cooked at your table closely followed by your beef, chicken etc.

Hope this helps...

Thanks. Your info really did help.

• 8 months later...
You can use your $30/package allowance in sushi or teppanyaki restaurants. And you can use the allowance anyway (food) you want.

Where would One see the prices of the sushi rolls etc? Does anyone have a copy of the menusW

A year ago our group did the sushi making class on Grandeur if the Seas. It was fantastic and plentiful. Then they gave a % off for a return visit to the restaurant during the cruise. Again we enjoyed the food and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have the 4 night dinner package for our upcoming Harmony cruise. We plan on going to Izumi for one of the nights. I know the Hibachi is not included and we need to order off the regular sushi menu.

I understand we each have $30 to spend on the menu for dinner included with the dining package. Is this correct?

Is the Hot Rock Steak included in this?

Thanks in advance and for any additional information regarding the dining package.

You have $30 each to spend on anything on the menu, including hot rocks. But it is not broken out by person, so if you have three people you get a total of $90 taken off your bill, even if some people spent more than $30 and some spent less.

Loved Izumi Sushi a couple of weeks ago on Harmony. I’m not a sushi chef and have never been to Japan so can’t comment on the quality other than to say it was delicious. And the service was very good as well although we went early and were the first table seated right around 6pm.

86b6ede7b8e77117c6eb3d25cb17ee1c.jpg

6db61a5584852f56842ce77fba4d7111.jpg

99f72dcb3eadc4fd97d21cc969435f6f.jpg

49b72c8c5b4ad5eac688677542328467.jpg