In March 2005, my fiancé Jim and I cruised on the Crown Princess. We were having a great time and got to know our cabin steward, servers and gym staff. On the third day of our cruise, there was an undercurrent of excitement. Devious smiles, high fives and pats on the back for my usual easy-going better half. As we left the cabin to go ashore, our steward wished us a great time with a wink to Jim. What was going on? While I was shopping in the Tourist Welcome Center, Jim was talking to one of the Information Center Agents. When I met up with him, he seemed a little preoccupied but was quickly distracted by the upbeat islanders and refreshing swim. We were tired but happy when we got back to the ship. As we approached the cabin, Jim’s face clouded. On our door, was big bright balloons and a “Just Married” sign. The steward had left a congratulations note. At dinner, our table servers brought cake and champagne. Jim had told everyone of his plans. I felt so sad that his surprise didn’t happen after all of his hard work but so flustered with excitement that he had planned our wedding. It turned out that there was a waiting period at the island we visited so we couldn’t get married same day. As destiny would have it, we visited Barbados the next day). There was no waiting period and on the beach in shorts and t-shirts as Jim has planned, we got married. Who doesn’t love a romantic surprise gone bad with a fairytale ending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr. Romantic.jpg (10.9 KB, 26 views)