Carnival Destiny Propulsion Problems

marshalltp

As some of you know, Carnival Destiny experienced substantial damage to one of its two screw propulsion drive systems on its Sept 12/09 itinerary. My understanding is that this has caused the vessel to travel at about half speed of 10 to 11 knots. As such they have modified the itineraries to drop Grand Turk, and Half Moon Cay, and to add Freeport to their Eastern departures, and to drop Grand Cayman/Jamaica and add Nassua and Freeport to their Western departures. So far they have advised travellers at the Port of Miami of the changes and offered 20% off a future booking as means of compensation.

Someone stated on a board here that the ship repair required dry docking and would not be undertaken for some time. Does anyone out there have any information to share regarding future cruise dates? We cruise on Nov 16 and would like to know ahead of time what we are facing:(.

I just spoke with guest relations at Carnival and was advised there will be no itinerary changes to my November sailing. She said some sailings in September were changed, but for November all is fine.

Do you know where this information came from and if it's recent? I haven't read of recent cruisers having problems.

I just spoke with Brian a PVP and was told that the Jan. sailing of Destiny to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman should not be effected and that the prop. issue is being fixed as of right now. I'm still waiting a week or so and probably speaking with someone else before I book for Jan. I have no interest in Bahamas or Key West.

K

Guys....guys, I sure hope I can put you all at ease!!

I was on the 9/17 sailing of the Destiny...Western Caribbean to Cozumel, and the ship was PERFECTLY FINE!! There was no speed problems and we didnt miss anytime in port. (Actually got to Cozumel a little early)

The fix did not require a dry dock and it was fixed while passengers boarded on the 9/12 sailing.

All is well with the Destiny, she is a GREAT ship and so far, my favorite!!

I was on the 9/17 sailing of the Destiny...Western Caribbean to Cozumel, and the ship was PERFECTLY FINE!! There was no speed problems and we didnt miss anytime in port. (Actually got to Cozumel a little early)

The fix did not require a dry dock and it was fixed while passengers boarded on the 9/12 sailing.

Well this is refreshing news. But I like to get some real facts though. The OP says something totally different. Also another poster says they made a call to someone who says the system is being fixed now. Rumors like this can have devastating consequences. Carnival could lose a nice size group based on what is posted in these forums.

I am holding off my decision to scratch this one off the list for now. But, I am very confused now as to what is going on.

But...we had some glitch in Nassau on our Sept. 21st cruise....left late from Nassau due to propulsion problems....but arrived back in Miami on time [:mad:]. I had the impression that they continue to work on the issue and continue to sail.

Well this is refreshing news. But I like to get some real facts though. The OP says something totally different. Also another poster says they made a call to someone who says the system is being fixed now. Rumors like this can have devastating consequences. Carnival could lose a nice size group based on what is posted in these forums.

I am holding off my decision to scratch this one off the list for now. But, I am very confused now as to what is going on.

Understandable...however, we heard about the propulsion problems and they told us it was fixed in Miami. Also, with all these PVP's saying there is no change, I would not worry about it.

Sounds like they may have had a small issue in Nassau...but what ever it is, doesn't seem to be having an issue. Cozumel is a pretty far to sail and we had no issues

Understandable...however, we heard about the propulsion problems and they told us it was fixed in Miami. Also, with all these PVP's saying there is no change, I would not worry about it.

Sounds like they may have had a small issue in Nassau...but what ever it is, doesn't seem to be having an issue. Cozumel is a pretty far to sail and we had no issues

What is a PVP by the way?

EVERYONE! check sailwx dot com the Destiny is sailing just fine, not going slow or changing ports. Dont cause a heart attack for the rest of the people booked on the Destiny. Read through all posts thoroughly before making an assumption.

Really. My Bloodpressure is already high enough.:)

Thanks for the info.....that does put my mind at ease. I really want to go to the scheduled ports.

EVERYONE! check sailwx dot com the Destiny is sailing just fine, not going slow or changing ports. Dont cause a heart attack for the rest of the people booked on the Destiny. Read through all posts thoroughly before making an assumption.

Please note that my original post was a request for anyone that had updated information, which has since been posted here. There were no assumptions made

What is a PVP by the way?

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner (your booking agent at Carnival)

Did you hear anything back from your attempt to contact Carnival for definite information on the repairs to Destiny's propulsion system?

Thanks!

We just completed the Eastern Destiny Itinerary (10/5/09 sailing) and had no delays nor early departures. Our stops were Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau. We made each port on time or early and left at the scheduled times.

We also completed the previous sailing (10/1/09) and made all ports on time or early.

We did not notice any decreased speed, vibration, or any indication of propulsion problems.

Carnival Destiny was our most smooth cruise EVER! Granted we had great weather and very calm seas, but nine days of not being able to even feel the ship move was unusual. If not for our wake, we would have wondered if we were having propulsion problems; it was that smooth. :cool:

We stayed in Miami last night and watched Destiny lead Royal CaribMalls' Liberty of the Seas , Carnival Liberty, and Norwegian Pearl out of Government Cut and she kept pace ahead of them all.

We just completed the Eastern Destiny Itinerary (10/5/09 sailing) and had no delays nor early departures. Our stops were Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

Welcome back, to you both!!

I hope you had a fun time, again, in HMC . . . but it must have certainly felt different without the young dudes.

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner (your booking agent at Carnival)

Did you hear anything back from your attempt to contact Carnival for definite information on the repairs to Destiny's propulsion system?

Thanks!

Not a peep. What does that mean? :confused:

Archived