St.Kitts Tour Or Taxi????

werdapaul

I will be in St. Kitts this March on the Carnival Victory. I want to go to Romney Manor for 1 to 2 hours and then on to Timothy Hill for a quick picture stop. Then stay for the rest of the day at Cockleshell beach. Can this be done just using taxis? I should explain that my cell phone will not work on St. Kitts. Are taxis easy enough to get? I've looked at many tours that sound great but seems that you must be hurried through the numerous stops and then returned to port 3 hours before your ship departs. I'd like to see some local culture then relax and use my WHOLE day in St.Kitts. Any input would be appreciated.

I will be in St. Kitts this March on the Carnival Victory. I want to go to Romney Manor for 1 to 2 hours and then on to Timothy Hill for a quick picture stop. Then stay for the rest of the day at Cockleshell beach. Can this be done just using taxis? I should explain that my cell phone will not work on St. Kitts. Are taxis easy enough to get? I've looked at many tours that sound great but seems that you must be hurried through the numerous stops and then returned to port 3 hours before your ship departs. I'd like to see some local culture then relax and use my WHOLE day in St.Kitts. Any input would be appreciated.

I'd highly recommend the Thenford Grey tour - you can find him on the net. My family toured with him on Dec. 27. He was very knowledgeable and proud of his homeland. We learned alot about the island, its history, and the culture there. We went to Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill fortress (it really is pretty fabulous), Timothy Hill, and then on to the beach. I'm sure he'd work with you if you really wanted to skip the fort to get more beach time. We've had tour guides elsewhere and he was one of the best we've had--in fact my wife and I are thinking about going back to St. Kitts next year for our 20th anniversary and if we do, I guarantee you we'll meet up again with Thenford. Hope that helps.

sle

I would reccomend Captain Sunshine who will do whatever you want and at a great price. He is so easy going and he is on the net. Check out my review further down this page.

We'd intended to just grab a cab to see the highlights, but when I checked taxi fares, I was shocked. It seemed better to do a tour than spend all that money for a cab ride. We booked with Rose and Jim as well. We go in about 7 weeks.

So did you check cab fares from one place to another, or for hiring a cab for the day? The reason I ask is because we are planning to just find a cab when we get off the ship and hire the driver for a few hours to tour around. I read that they are readily available.

Does this not make sense? Would love details and more information. Thanks!

There is really no difference between the two. A cab fare will be from point to point with no stops, whereas a tour would include mutiple stops at various locations around the island. Cab fares are set by the govt & tour prices can sometimes be negotiated depending on the size of the group. Most of the operators have large vans with a passenger capacity of about 10-12 people.

There is really no difference between the two. A cab fare will be from point to point with no stops, whereas a tour would include mutiple stops at various locations around the island. Cab fares are set by the govt & tour prices can sometimes be negotiated depending on the size of the group. Most of the operators have large vans with a passenger capacity of about 10-12 people.

Thanks! So are there no small cabs available at the port? Don't want a large group tour or cab ride. If they are not available at the port are there any companies to book private tours with that you recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

I would HIGHLY recommend Royston. He is extremely accomodating about what YOU want to do and he is yours for the day. He provides a snack for lunch and cool drinks and will pay your admission to Brimstone Hill. He can make your day however YOU want it - relaxed sightseeing and/or activities (snorkeling, hiking, whatever).

When we went with him last week. We did Brimstone Hill and Caribelle batik and then we went snorkeling - a great day.

We'd intended to just grab a cab to see the highlights, but when I checked taxi fares, I was shocked. It seemed better to do a tour than spend all that money for a cab ride. We booked with Rose and Jim as well. We go in about 7 weeks.

I am sure you will have a great time, we loved Jim and found him very accomodating :)

We just did the whole day in mid January.

My wife and I spent the day with Royston tours in id January.

He is OUTSTANDING!!!

He was born on the Island and knows it like the back of his hand. He also knows the history and the future (projects) of the island.

Great listener, great driver, a walking St Kitts reference guide, flexible, and care about his customers.

I would not hesitate to give him a 100% endorsement of his services.

He can be reached at roystontours@hotmail.com

We just returned from a cruise to St. Kitts. St. Kitts is a beautiful island. You will want to see as much of it as you can.

Rose was our tour guide. It was one of the best days of our cruise. Her van is very comfortable and she was very accommodating and great to meet. She totally designed the tour around our wishes, let us stop for pictures wherever we wanted, picked other gorgeous spots for photo ops, and let us spend extra time at the beach because we weren't interested in shopping. Her van is very comfortable and she was very accommodating. I'd go with her again in a minute.

Rose is wonderful. She will tailor your day to whatever you want. Wonderful excursion that ended with a great time at cockleshell beach and Reggae bar.

I would love to go with Rose again. We were in a bit of a rush to get to the beach so we skipped the Fort. That was probably a mistake and next time we will stop there.

We had initially planned to book with Rose & Jim but they wanted a minimum number of passengers to do the tour. We waited as long as we could for them to get their numbers and finally went with Thenford Grey who we were most happy with. Thenford told me that he will do a tour with as few as 2 persons....he loses money on it but he feels it is part of building his business.

I visited St. Kitts in 2008. Due to recommendations on this board, I booked a tour with Ilva Wallace.

My ship was the only one in port that day,no one else booked with Ms. Wallace. This was not a factor with her at all. When she met me at the port, I was concern will she still do the tour with only me. Ms. Wallace didn't hesitate to tell me she will tour with one person or one hundred. "You took the time to find out about me and book, I will still give you a great tour!". We didn't wait for others to join me.

Ms. Wallace gave me a wonderful tour!! Ms. Wallace tailored my day on what I wanted to do. I wanted to gain insight of the island (I wanted to visit Brimstone Fort esp) and have lunch at a local place. Ms. Wallace took me all over the island!! I was in a van with a/c. I was able to take my time at places like Brimstone Fort and less time at the beach. The place that she took me for lunch was one full of locals. I was introduced to the owner and she told me about each of her dishes that day. For about $6 US dollars, I had a full lunch with a soda. The food was so good! I came as a tourist with Ms. Wallace and left as a friend!

To me, it's more a cost to get a taxi to visit two different places when a great tour guide can do the same for alot cheaper and set up times on your schedule.

I will post a picture of Ms. Wallace. She's the one in the dress!!

http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=1915227007/PictureID=77929522007/a=56332881_56332881/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I'd highly recommend Javin from Cayon with the Ghaut tour. The most spectacular time of my life. He made our honeymoon so special my wife was in tears. My wife does not get emotional but the rainforest unlike an island tour with Rose, Jim, Thenford or any taxi is serene and peaceful. It was almost like being in the wilds of Alaska except without the risk of dying.

He is inexpensive for what he offers. Safe and Reliable.

My soul was cleansed by the experience and Javin brought joy to our lives.

If you want a life changing experience on St Kitts Javin is the only way to go!!!!

He can be emailed at myislands@aol.com

Gregg

Archived