Sunshine propulsion issue / problem

W8G4SUN

Am on Sunshine now. Problem yesterday leaving Naples with propulsion unit, caused us to leave 1 1/2 hours late. Supposed to arrive in Messina at 7:00, limped in sailing at 13 knots at11:00.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Am on Sunshine now. Problem yesterday leaving Naples with propulsion unit, caused us to leave 1 1/2 hours late. Supposed to arrive in Messina at 7:00, limped in sailing at 13 knots at11:00.

Please keep us updated if you can.

I did see on the live cam that you were late leaving last night.

It is great to get live information though,

Many thanks.

28SAC

Hopefully they will get the issue sorted, she sure did leave and arrive late. Looking at the tracking history from last night, seems she couldnt get past 14.8 knots.

NAPOLI 2013-06-11 Departure 20:57 Local Time

MESSINA 2013-06-12 Arrival 10:14 Local Time

That stinks. I hope that they get it figured out quickly.

i dont think the old destiny propulsion can handle all of the new cabins and people on the ship

I wondered about this also.

The news media would have a free for all with this news, unless they've been waiting already for more to happen.

The news media would have a free for all with this news, unless they've been waiting already for more to happen.

Its a fair point and something you would have thought the engineers at carnival would have made sure it would cover.

Ships have this issue from time to time, i was due to embark the Norwegian EPIC on its maiden voyage from Southampton a few years ago, it was 6 hours late from the ship yard as could only sail at reduced speeds.

I could almost write the story for CNN. "As Carnival Cruise Line's fumigated and scrubbed Triumph returns to service in Galveston, after the excrement-filled cruise from hell in February, another aging Carnival ship, the Destiny, which they're now passing off as the Sunshine, is having propulsion problems in Europe, this on top of the struggling cruise line's decision to abandon the European market altogether".

LOL.

I'm sure someone is about to notice that. :)

she only lists when they fill the fuel tanks. this is why they are fueling at every port and have to do something before she sails her ta

maybe they are low on fuel and have to drive below 55.

Propulsion problem? No problem, the Sunshine is a new ship according to Carnival, problems such as these are to be expected on a new ship...

You can polish a 18 year old ship make it look brand new but its still a 18 year old ship

Azipods are what they are. They fail when new and fail when old. Even after 18 years, they are new technology in maritime engineering terms.

Am I terrible person for thinking at first, when I hear about problems with the Sunshine, that maybe they'll have to drop the price on the Thanksgiving cruise so much that I can talk my family into a spur-of-the-moment cruise from a port that we can drive to? :o I try to feel sorry for people who have less than perfect cruises after spending so much to go to Europe, but I would love to be on the ship visiting all those ports.

Archived