Best Beach

GStonelake

My recommendation would be to take a taxi to the Calico Jacks/Public Beach area of Seven Mile Beach. (The Seagrape Beach section is now a hotel that does not allow day visitors to use any of the facilities, even for a fee.)

Seven Mile Beach is the main tourist section of the island. It's pretty well-developed. The quietest sections you're going to find there will be places like Cemetary Beach (farthest section from the port area) where there are no facilities. (Facilities = people) All of the sections of SMB are easily accessible by taxi or public bus from the port area.

Outside of George Town there are numerous nice beaches that may (or may not) have fewer people. The quietest ones will again be those that have no facilities such as restrooms, food, drink, etc. Those beaches will all require either a rental car, or in the case of some of the closer ones, a taxi with a prearranged return time.

Cayman doesn't have the type of private and/or all-inclusive beach resorts that some other islands do.

In general, along Seven Mile Beach, there's three types of beach access spots.

Hotels:

- very, very rarely sell day passes or allow cruise ship visitors to use their facilities, as they are often fully booked with stayover visitors and it's just not worth the hassle for them

Beach Clubs (for lack of a better term):

- these are really just bars/restaurants along the beach, with nice facilities they allow people (cruise ship visitors, locals, stayover visitors, whoever) to use in hopes that those people will spend money on food and drinks...and they don't allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, so they've got a pretty good chance

- popular spots include Royal Palms, Calico Jacks and Tiki Beach

Public Beaches:

- these are sections of beach that may or may not have any facilities, and are generally reached by a path from the road marked "beach access"

- popular spots include Public Beach (next to Calico Jacks), Governor's Beach and Cemetery Beach (both named after the landmark beside it)

Technically, all beaches are public (and therefore free) up to the high water mark. Nothing is fenced in, and you can walk the length of the beach along the water without being charged any admission fees.

In order to put your towel down on the sand above that high water mark, you either need to be at one of the public beach sections or at one of the beach clubs that has specifically encouraged people to visit.

You can't (legally, anyway) put your towel down in front of a condo building or hotel complex, or use their facilities, without permission of the owners/management.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Public Beach/Calico Jacks - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots (at least the last time I was there)

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

My recommendation would be to take a taxi to the Calico Jacks/Public Beach area of Seven Mile Beach.

Calico Jacks would be our recommendation as well. :D

What a FANTASTIC job you did in putting together the complete information on what is available. Feel sure it will be quite helpful to many.

Thanks for your time to do it! (y)

• 2 weeks later...
My recommendation would be to take a taxi to the Calico Jacks/Public Beach area of Seven Mile Beach. (The Seagrape Beach section is now a hotel that does not allow day visitors to use any of the facilities, even for a fee.)

" Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. "

Sorry totally missed this part when I asked about Jet ski rental. Lol ;)

Thank you.

• 4 months later...
We are a group of 15, are there buses that go to Calico Jacks? It would take multiple taxis and we want to stay together.

Yes, but buses often aren't much bigger than the taxis (they're both largish mini-buses not full size buses) so you might have to split up anyway.

Been to GC several times but this time with a Toddler (3 yo) and thinking of going to 7 Mike beach. Where would you recommend with her? Looking for a nice beach area not far from facilities and would like to get some chairs and an umbrella for shade! Sea grape/calico jacks? Sounds like Tiki is now private?

Been to GC several times but this time with a Toddler (3 yo) and thinking of going to 7 Mike beach. Where would you recommend with her? Looking for a nice beach area not far from facilities and would like to get some chairs and an umbrella for shade! Sea grape/calico jacks? Sounds like Tiki is now private?

SeaGrape is the beach area that's now a hotel. Tiki Beach is still there, but may only be open for cruise ship excursions.

With younger kids I usually suggest the Public Beach section of Seven Mile Beach. There's a playground in addition to the usual facilities.

Stop in town at the local grocery store to buy all the food and drinks, etc. then head to Cemetery Beach for a quiet and people free experience. This would be your ultimate Grand Cayman experience. We always go their for snorkeling.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

Is there a grocery store nearby. We are planning on taking the bus to Cemetery Beach for a little snorkeling and relaxation

Hi. Thank you for this wonderful information.

I am docking in George Town, Grand Cayman.

Are the Royal Palms and Calico Jacks a taxi ride away and doable for me?

Not sure if there is a difference where we dock.

Also, I looked at both places and they look very congested. Is there something you all can suggest that is less congested? While price is always a factor, I would pay for something a little less crowded and relaxing.

Thank you.

Edited by js

For those looking for a quiet beach. Cemetery Beach is quiet and good snorkeling. No facilities though.

This time we’re going with a toddler so looking for something different [emoji4]

Thank you. I want drinks, food, loungers and umbrella or cabana. I dont want congested. Can this be found while docking in George Town.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. Thank you for this wonderful information.

I am docking in George Town, Grand Cayman.

Are the Royal Palms and Calico Jacks a taxi ride away and doable for me?

Not sure if there is a difference where we dock.

Also, I looked at both places and they look very congested. Is there something you all can suggest that is less congested? While price is always a factor, I would pay for something a little less crowded and relaxing.

Thank you.

All of the regular docking areas are in downtown George Town within a 2 minute walk of each other. The only time you'd anchor somewhere else would be in bad weather when ships are diverted to a location slightly outside of town and people need to take taxis or shuttles into the main part of George Town.

For the other answers you seek, please go back and read post #2 of this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your response to this question!! Is there any way to rent chairs and an umbrella at the beach by Callico Jacks?!!!

quote=bookbabe;52847264]My recommendation would be to take a taxi to the Calico Jacks/Public Beach area of Seven Mile Beach. (The Seagrape Beach section is now a hotel that does not allow day visitors to use any of the facilities, even for a fee.)

Seven Mile Beach is the main tourist section of the island. It's pretty well-developed. The quietest sections you're going to find there will be places like Cemetary Beach (farthest section from the port area) where there are no facilities. (Facilities = people) All of the sections of SMB are easily accessible by taxi or public bus from the port area.

Outside of George Town there are numerous nice beaches that may (or may not) have fewer people. The quietest ones will again be those that have no facilities such as restrooms, food, drink, etc. Those beaches will all require either a rental car, or in the case of some of the closer ones, a taxi with a prearranged return time.

Cayman doesn't have the type of private and/or all-inclusive beach resorts that some other islands do.

In general, along Seven Mile Beach, there's three types of beach access spots.

Hotels:

- very, very rarely sell day passes or allow cruise ship visitors to use their facilities, as they are often fully booked with stayover visitors and it's just not worth the hassle for them

Beach Clubs (for lack of a better term):

- these are really just bars/restaurants along the beach, with nice facilities they allow people (cruise ship visitors, locals, stayover visitors, whoever) to use in hopes that those people will spend money on food and drinks...and they don't allow outside food/drinks to be brought in, so they've got a pretty good chance

- popular spots include Royal Palms, Calico Jacks and Tiki Beach

Public Beaches:

- these are sections of beach that may or may not have any facilities, and are generally reached by a path from the road marked "beach access"

- popular spots include Public Beach (next to Calico Jacks), Governor's Beach and Cemetery Beach (both named after the landmark beside it)

Technically, all beaches are public (and therefore free) up to the high water mark. Nothing is fenced in, and you can walk the length of the beach along the water without being charged any admission fees.

In order to put your towel down on the sand above that high water mark, you either need to be at one of the public beach sections or at one of the beach clubs that has specifically encouraged people to visit.

You can't (legally, anyway) put your towel down in front of a condo building or hotel complex, or use their facilities, without permission of the owners/management.

There's really not that much difference between the various 7MB locations when it comes down to it. It's really personal preference. Most spots are free/cheap. All have restrooms and outdoor showers, and will have lounge chairs and umbrellas for rent. Most have a watersports operator there or nearby for rentals. None are the type of huge AI beach clubs you'll find in other ports like Cozumel. The biggest differences I've noticed are distance from the port area and the restaurant menu, plus the couple of notes below.

In order of distance (closest first) from the port area:

Royal Palms - http://royalpalmscayman.com/

- has an adults-only pool and rental beach cabanas

- doesn't do cruise ship excursions, has a $2pp entry fee

Public Beach/Calico Jacks - https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksGrandCayman

- not really a commercial beach club like the others, it's the actual public beach area with a restaurant next door

- has a playground nearby, and has public picnic shelters (free, first come first served)

- sometimes has excursions, no entry fee

Tiki Beach - http://www.tikibeachcayman.net/

- beach is a little narrow compared to the other spots (at least the last time I was there)

- most popular location for cruise excursions

- some have reported a high entry fee (incl chair & drink) but that isn't consistent

Thank you for your response to this question!! Is there any way to rent chairs and an umbrella at the beach by Callico Jacks?!!!

Yes, and they're roughly the same price (and type) at all of the beach clubs.

Has anyone just walked 7MB?

I'm thinking about getting dropped off at Cemetery and then wandering towards the port.

I'm guessing there are bus accessible stops along the way? And the beach is as safe as any beach if you're alone?

Perfectly safe, but it's a long walk. And a hot one in the summer. Yes, the main road with the buses follows the beach, and it's developed all along the way, so you'd be passing hotels and condos, etc.

Perfectly safe, but it's a long walk. And a hot one in the summer. Yes, the main road with the buses follows the beach, and it's developed all along the way, so you'd be passing hotels and condos, etc.

Remember that the main road (West Bay Rd) is no longer contiguous. Traffic flow between West Bay and George Town has to divert over onto the bypass where it goes around the new Kimpton hotel.

So if you are going to start a beach walk at Cemetery beach and walk back towards George Town then you will reach a stretch where you will not find buses running along the adjacent road. Once you walk a total of about a mile and a quarter you would be at Seven Mile Beach Public Beach and again find buses running along the main road.

Remember that the main road (West Bay Rd) is no longer contiguous. Traffic flow between West Bay and George Town has to divert over onto the bypass where it goes around the new Kimpton hotel.

So if you are going to start a beach walk at Cemetery beach and walk back towards George Town then you will reach a stretch where you will not find buses running along the adjacent road. Once you walk a total of about a mile and a quarter you would be at Seven Mile Beach Public Beach and again find buses running along the main road.

Is that Kimpton/Public Beach stretch really over a mile long? It doesn't seem that long when you're at Public Beach looking over that way. Or do the buses do the whole bypass section instead of cutting down that little side street that runs beside the Kimpton to Tiki Beach?