Labadee: Nellie's Beach Cabana or Columbus Cove Bungalow

midwife1021

This will be our first time at Labadee without Barefoot Beach and an overwater cabana.

Traveling with elderly in-laws. Any thoughts on the cabanas at Nellie's vs the Bungalows at Columbus? We loved the easy water access of an overwater cabana and the less-crowded Barefoot Beach, but going for the budget route on Navigator this time. No other ships in Labadee when we will be in port. I keep seeing all of this information saying Nellie's is super crowded, its rocky and people line the beachline with their loungers so you have to walk precariously on a rock wall to get in and out of the water.

I've heard on the forums that the Columbus Cove area is roped off and somewhat private, although the website specifically states it is NOT a private area.

The rep on the phone tried to insist that Columbus Cove is a completely different island, which I know is false. He wasn't actually much help at all, and he said cabanas were only for 6 guests, and wouldn't accommodate 7 (website says cabanas are for up to 8).

We have also considered upgrading the to a grand suite from a junior (husband, me and youngest son) and keeping in-laws and older sons (22, 19) in the spacious ocean view balcony, and then getting a Barefoot beach cabana.

Any insight or thoughts are appreciated!

Columbus Cove itself is not private. However, the area in which the bungalows reside (on the far end of Columbus Cove) is roped off and reserved for guest who have purchased a bungalow. There is a RC attendant stationed at the entrance to the bungalows who will check you in. We rented a bungalow at Columbus Cove on our last trip and while we didn't stay in the bungalow very much, we enjoyed having a space to leave our belongings while we swam and ate at the barbecue area located near by.

Columbus Cove itself is not private. However, the area in which the bungalows reside (on the far end of Columbus Cove) is roped off and reserved for guest who have purchased a bungalow. There is a RC attendant stationed at the entrance to the bungalows who will check you in. We rented a bungalow at Columbus Cove on our last trip and while we didn't stay in the bungalow very much, we enjoyed having a space to leave our belongings while we swam and ate at the barbecue area located near by.

Would you say it is pretty secure, even if it isn't completely private?

• 1 month later...

We returned home in May on Allure we have visited labadee several times. We had the over the water cabana 1 year and this trip we did the Bungalow. We really enjoyed the bungalow and would do it again! It is roped off and you can not enter unless you have a wrist band. The location was near bathrooms and food so no problem getting to either. The trolley stop is very close so you don't have far to walk. I would select a bungalow # in the middle just my thoughts less traffic. Please feel free to ask any questions I also have pics...

We returned home in May on Allure we have visited labadee several times. We had the over the water cabana 1 year and this trip we did the Bungalow. We really enjoyed the bungalow and would do it again! It is roped off and you can not enter unless you have a wrist band. The location was near bathrooms and food so no problem getting to either. The trolley stop is very close so you don't have far to walk. I would select a bungalow # in the middle just my thoughts less traffic. Please feel free to ask any questions I also have pics...

Would love to see some pictures. I have seen a few before, but it was hard to tell from the ones I saw which would be the best location to attempt to get. It looked like some were all the way up against a fence over towards what looked like the ferry (although pictures can be deceiving).

Columbus Cove all the way. I was on a very full oasis cruise. Columbus Cove uncrowded and peaceful all day. Buffet lines manageable. Shaded. Sandy bottom/not rocky. Nice view of the ship. As others have said cabanas are in a roped off section, but Columbus Cove is in fact opened to all. Drawbacks if any--more shaded/less sunny than other side of peninsula. Also, no waves if that's what you like,

Yes that would be #8 I would not select that one just my thoughts... We had #4 and loved it.. Message me your email and I will send pics...I do have a pic which would show #8

Question about bungalows with a group of 18 wanted to get two bungalows .. are they strict with how many? Wristbands? Can you pick which bungalows ? Thx

The description on my cruise planner says 8 maximum for bungalows. We are a party of 10, and I was wondering if you could switch out wristbands so everyone could have a turn in the bungalow. Does anyone know how that works?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The bugalows on Columbus Cove aresold out on my cruise planner. They do have bugalows Nellie Beach still. We are sailing with children so we wanted to be near the waterpark which is why we wanted one on Columbus Cove.

Do they hold bungalows to sell on the ship?

I am sailing to Labaddee on the Harmony in December . Do you purchase them at the excursion desk?

I called Royal and they said sometimes cabanas are held back to be sold on the ship. Not sure if I should reserve a bungalow at Nellie over the water for $ 355 and switch on board I'd Columbus Cove is available or reserve a beach bed on adrenaline beach , then switch. Beach Bed is $ 175. We are 4 adults and 2 kids.

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 7:56 PM, missemo12345 said:

Yes that would be #8 I would not select that one just my thoughts... We had #4 and loved it.. Message me your email and I will send pics...I do have a pic which would show #8

Do you get to choose which one you want when you book it

Just back from a bungalow on Columbus Cove and would do it again in a heartbeat!    It was just my husband and me, and we thought it a bit frivolous to splurge on this for 2 people, but it was SO worth it (got it on Black Friday sale).  The loungers were padded and so comfy.   Staff would get us beverages (as covered by our drink package), there was a cooler with 6-one liter bottles of Desanti water (we took a couple back to the ship), 4 towels were provided, so we didn't have to bring and return them to the ship ourselves.   The buffet and restrooms are about a minute away.  Beach isn't rocky at all, but the other side of the island did have gorgeous waves and the Columbus Cove water is quite smooth.   

No opportunity to select which of the 8 bungalows when I booked --- it's "first come, first served".   One person in the group could go ahead of others to claim the bungalow you'd like.   I'd definitely recommend bungalows #2 through #6.   These had lots of shade available.   The others didn't.   Of course the bungalow itself provides shade, and the side curtains can be adjusted to provide privacy.   

There's the option of taking a ferry that goes one-way from cruise ship dock to Columbus Cove dock, but it wasn't there when I got off the ship, and I only saw it come to CC once the entire day.    Be sure to get on the tram that goes all the way to Columbus Cove.  This beach is the furthest from the ship, but SO worth it.   However, both times I've been there, there's been a long line for the tram to return to the ship.   It probably turned out to be a 20" wait, but there are places to sit and some of the party can stand in line while others sit.   

I did wonder what would happen if we were a larger group and needed more towels and would like more loungers.   I suspect the staff would move some of the regular loungers over to this area (the padded loungers were wonderful!).    The bungalows are roped off, and it's a small beach area in front of them, but it didn't get crowded.   The water in front of the beach is not roped off, and it did get a bit more crowded as the day went on.   

We can't wait to go back!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 5:46 PM, kdakda said:

Just back from a bungalow on Columbus Cove and would do it again in a heartbeat!    It was just my husband and me, and we thought it a bit frivolous to splurge on this for 2 people, but it was SO worth it (got it on Black Friday sale).  The loungers were padded and so comfy.   Staff would get us beverages (as covered by our drink package), there was a cooler with 6-one liter bottles of Desanti water (we took a couple back to the ship), 4 towels were provided, so we didn't have to bring and return them to the ship ourselves.   The buffet and restrooms are about a minute away.  Beach isn't rocky at all, but the other side of the island did have gorgeous waves and the Columbus Cove water is quite smooth.   

No opportunity to select which of the 8 bungalows when I booked --- it's "first come, first served".   One person in the group could go ahead of others to claim the bungalow you'd like.   I'd definitely recommend bungalows #2 through #6.   These had lots of shade available.   The others didn't.   Of course the bungalow itself provides shade, and the side curtains can be adjusted to provide privacy.   

There's the option of taking a ferry that goes one-way from cruise ship dock to Columbus Cove dock, but it wasn't there when I got off the ship, and I only saw it come to CC once the entire day.    Be sure to get on the tram that goes all the way to Columbus Cove.  This beach is the furthest from the ship, but SO worth it.   However, both times I've been there, there's been a long line for the tram to return to the ship.   It probably turned out to be a 20" wait, but there are places to sit and some of the party can stand in line while others sit.   

I did wonder what would happen if we were a larger group and needed more towels and would like more loungers.   I suspect the staff would move some of the regular loungers over to this area (the padded loungers were wonderful!).    The bungalows are roped off, and it's a small beach area in front of them, but it didn't get crowded.   The water in front of the beach is not roped off, and it did get a bit more crowded as the day went on.   

We can't wait to go back!

I do not see the bungalows as an option in Labadee excursions.  Does this mean that they are sold out?  I am curious about the Black Friday sale.  We are leaving on Dec. 15th.  Should I hold out on adding excursions or dining until Black Friday?  How much did you save?

1 hour ago, love2gocruzin said:

I do not see the bungalows as an option in Labadee excursions.  Does this mean that they are sold out?  I am curious about the Black Friday sale.  We are leaving on Dec. 15th.  Should I hold out on adding excursions or dining until Black Friday?  How much did you save?

If your cruise is only a month away, the bungalows could be sold out ----  many months before our October cruise, I saw the bungalows still listed in the Cruise Planner, but they weren't available to book and there was a notation to "check on board".   People do cancel, so keep checking, and check on board.

I believe we paid about $198 for the bungalow, but that was purchased almost a year ago.   Throughout the year, sale prices were approximately $250 (as I recall, but not sure), and right before the cruise I saw a sale price of $236.

CORRECTION --- (sorry --- couldn't figure out how to edit the above post).   I remembered that RC sent emails confirming purchases, so checked, and found that I did NOT book the bungalows on Black Friday.   Got some good discounts on our beverage/zoom package, but don't even know if bungalows were offered on that sale.   I booked the bungalow for $197 in mid-March for our October cruise.   Maybe it was a "Wish Winter Were Over" sale.  

1 hour ago, kdakda said:

CORRECTION --- (sorry --- couldn't figure out how to edit the above post).   I remembered that RC sent emails confirming purchases, so checked, and found that I did NOT book the bungalows on Black Friday.   Got some good discounts on our beverage/zoom package, but don't even know if bungalows were offered on that sale.   I booked the bungalow for $197 in mid-March for our October cruise.   Maybe it was a "Wish Winter Were Over" sale.  

I see that this weekend the dining package is on sale.  Do you think that I should wait on Black Friday?  The 3 night is $60 this weekend.  We are on Indy for 5 nights.  I considered the ultimate package, just not sure about it either.

I was thinking of canceling and rebooking recently when I saw a cheaper price. However, since there are only 8 bungalows at Columbus Cove, I decided to call first. The representative I spoke with said they were sold out, and if I canceled first, she couldn’t guarantee it would still be available when I tried to rebook. She said she faced the same issue if she were to try the same process. The price reduction was only $13, so I decided not to chance it. That being said, I have successfully canceled and rebooked the zipline for a savings. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2018 at 2:44 PM, Ronaldo807 said:

Would love to see some pictures. I have seen a few before, but it was hard to tell from the ones I saw which would be the best location to attempt to get. It looked like some were all the way up against a fence over towards what looked like the ferry (although pictures can be deceiving).

We had BB1 which is closest to the buffet and washrooms.  BB8 was the furthest from these amenities but was practically at the water.  BB1 worked well for us because my elderly in-laws were able to access the buffet and washrooms without too much walking, and our attendant (Jacsy--he is awesome) would get the cart drivers to stop right next to the bungalow, making for easy transport (Prophete was our cart driver all day, and he is a wonderful man!).  

A few things about the Bungalows--there is no ceiling fan, but there was usually a decent breeze to keep us cool.

There is no power.  In the cabanas we had power so we could charge phones, plug in devices for music, etc.

2 loungers and 2 floating mats come with the bungalow

The attendants (Jacsy and Serge) were attentive to keeping people from coming into the area who were not bungalow guests.  That includes the beach portion of the area.  They were also good at providing security.  

It is a great choice for a restful and beautiful day in Labadee!  Take the water taxi and walk to the Columbus Cove, its a fairly easy walk (even for my MIL who has some trouble with long distances of walking or uneven, slippery terrain and for me with a bad frequent subluxed knee).  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, midwife1021 said:

We had BB1 which is closest to the buffet and washrooms.  BB8 was the furthest from these amenities but was practically at the water.  BB1 worked well for us because my elderly in-laws were able to access the buffet and washrooms without too much walking, and our attendant (Jacsy--he is awesome) would get the cart drivers to stop right next to the bungalow, making for easy transport (Prophete was our cart driver all day, and he is a wonderful man!).  

A few things about the Bungalows--there is no ceiling fan, but there was usually a decent breeze to keep us cool.

There is no power.  In the cabanas we had power so we could charge phones, plug in devices for music, etc.

2 loungers and 2 floating mats come with the bungalow

The attendants (Jacsy and Serge) were attentive to keeping people from coming into the area who were not bungalow guests.  That includes the beach portion of the area.  They were also good at providing security.  

It is a great choice for a restful and beautiful day in Labadee!  Take the water taxi and walk to the Columbus Cove, its a fairly easy walk (even for my MIL who has some trouble with long distances of walking or uneven, slippery terrain and for me with a bad frequent subluxed knee).  

Thank you for your comments. I have one booked for our upcoming trip in April. Were there any bungalow that was “worse” than the others for traffic etc? Just wondering if I will have to get ther early...