[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:35 PM.
League City, TX
42,369 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Hlitner
For the record we do not always practice what we preach . We are using EZAIR to fly to Copenhagen (in a few weeks) on the day of a cruise. But our flight is scheduled to arrive in Copenhagen 13 hours prior to the cruise departure time and we could easily catch-up to the ship the following day since it will just be up the coast at Aarhus. The irony is there is no good reason why we do not fly in a few days early ...other then DW is tired of spending time in Copenhagen. There are those times when one must lick their wounds and say "yes dear."
When flying from the USA to Europe to start a cruise we always fly in the day before.

This is not because we are afraid of missing the ship if there is a delay in travel. It is because we need that extra day to get time adjusted after crossing multiple time zones, usually arriving in the AM after an overnight flight with very little sleep.

It is no fun if you start a cruise totally exhausted from traveling to the embarkation port.
342 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
due to the fact that we take long cruises and my husband's job allows only so many days off in one swoop,. we have always booked EZAir to arrive the day the ship leaves - this includes several transatlantic flights as well as to the east coast for other cruises.

We have never experienced (fingers crossed) any delay or problems and always arrived the morning of and took a cab to the ship. I try and book something that gets us where we want to go by 10:30 AM which gets us to the ship by 11:30.

Certainly anything could happen and we have been fortunate.

Have a great trip
Toronto On. Canada
6,453 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
In 2000, we flew from Toronto to LAX on the day with Air Canada. We had no problems going. On our return flight, we waited, and waited and waited on the plane to be told the flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems. The plane had just come from Toronto and was a turn around flight. We were told to leave the plane and go to the desk to try to rebook a flight. The full flight got off and lined up. When it was our turn, we were told you can come back for the late evening flight and TRY to go standby. We decided to go on the same flight the next day. Air Canada put us up at an airport hotel.

All we could say, was thank goodness it was the return flight and not going to the cruise.

Most flights now are full with very few available seats.
Cleveland, OH
1,148 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Knickearth
due to the fact that we take long cruises and my husband's job allows only so many days off in one swoop,. we have always booked EZAir to arrive the day the ship leaves - this includes several transatlantic flights as well as to the east coast for other cruises.

Certainly anything could happen and we have been fortunate.

Have a great trip
Yep, this is us, too. My employer officially allows only 2 weeks off at a time, but I have been pretty successful at "stretching" that to almost 3 weeks a few times. Haven't been fired yet!

But it means that sometimes we can't fly in early, as much as we'd like to. So we book EZAir to arrive as early as possible and hope for the best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Crown Princess, TA Western Europe 4/8/17
Diamond Princess, Japan 8/15/16
Regal Princess Baltics, British Isles and TA 9/3/15
Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean 11/15/14
Ruby Princess E. Caribbean 11/8/14
Island Princess Panama Canal 3/17/14
Caribbean Princess Canada/NE 10/12/13
Star Princess Alaska 5/25/13
Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean Dec. 2006
Grandeur of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Nov. 1999
Montreal
389 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by phabric
In 2000, we flew from Toronto to LAX on the day with Air Canada. We had no problems going. On our return flight, we waited, and waited and waited on the plane to be told the flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems. The plane had just come from Toronto and was a turn around flight. We were told to leave the plane and go to the desk to try to rebook a flight. The full flight got off and lined up. When it was our turn, we were told you can come back for the late evening flight and TRY to go standby. We decided to go on the same flight the next day. Air Canada put us up at an airport hotel.

All we could say, was thank goodness it was the return flight and not going to the cruise.

Most flights now are full with very few available seats.
Good ol' Air Canada. On our last trip out of FLL back here to Montreal, we made it off the ship and were checked in before 8AM for our 11:30AM return, Nice and safe, right? We spent the next 12 hours in the departure lounge at FLL when our flight was canceled, and didn't get home until 2AM the next day.
jacksonville fl usa
4,705 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Originally posted by SadieN
Interesting reading
Our Most Excellent Adventure - We Missed the Ship
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2175456

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was trying to remember who posted that. He kept such a great attitude about it that would have had a lot of people losing it.

League City, TX
42,369 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Although I have never had a problem flying in the same day for a cruise departing from a USA port, I have been on some cruises where some passengers did not make it due to delayed flights. I have also been on a cruise where the ship delayed scheduled departure for five hours because a number of flights were delayed due to severe weather problems.
Kawerau NZ
7,371 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Never travel on the embarkation day no matter what sort of cover you have got!! Fly in at least one day early.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Pom by Birth; Coin-Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice; Canuck by Family Ties.

Contact at "casofilia @ xtra . co . nz" (Miss out the gaps)

Previous Cruises:-
#1 Sep 13 Alaska Sapphire Princess
#2 Mar 14 Hawai'i PoA
#3,4,5 Oct 14 Vancouver-Panama-Miami-Bahamas Pearl
#6,7 May 15 Norway & Baltic Star
#8,9 Sep 15 Quebec-Boston-Quebec Dawn
#10,11 Mar 16 Buenos Aires-Santiago-San Francisco Sun
#12,13 Oct 16 Rome-Dubai-Singapore Star

#14 Jun 17 Round Britain Caribbean Princess
#15 Jul 17 Dover-New York Sea Princess (Via North Norway & Iceland)
#16,17 Sep 17 Honolulu-Pape'ete-Sydney Jewel
#18,19 April 18 Yokohama-Shanghai-Yokohama Jewel
#20 May 18 Yokohama-Seattle Jewel

Sep 18 Round Australia Sea Princess
Mar 19 Cuba Sky
Mar 19 Southern Caribbean Jade
Apr 19 Panama Jade
Apr 19 Western Caribbean Star
Apr 19 Eastern Caribbean Star
Apr 19 Transatlantic Star

Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
24,408 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
If OP has to meet the ship in Cabo, hopefully they realize it’s a tender port. Princess uses its own lifeboats here.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

3,908 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
We're flying in the same day using Princess EZAir. They guarantee to get you there: https://www.princess.com/plan/ezair/

I wouldn't do it if it were a 15 hour flight. Ours is a 1-1/2 hour flight. Also, we have trip insurance - no worries.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

05/2018 Grand Princess - Alaska

01/2018 Grand Princess - Hawaii
10/2017 Crown Princess - New England
05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii
12/2015 Island Princess - Panama Canal
9/2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexico
5/2015 Golden Princess - Alaska
4/2015 Crown Princess - California Coastal
1/2015 Star Princess - Hawaii
10/2014 Star Princess--Mexico
8/2014 Carnival Imagination--Mexico
5/2014 Star Princess (Alaska)
2/2014 Sapphire Princess--Mexico
11/2013 Grand Princess--Hawaii
8/2013 Carnival Miracle--Alaska
1/2013 Inspiration--Mexico
1/2013 Inspiration (b2b)--Mexico
10/2012 Island Princess (Panama Canal)
10/2010 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
10/2010 Carnival Spirit-b2b--Mexico
1/2010 Carnival Splendor--Mexico
1/2009 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
11/2007 Carnival Spirit--Mexico
1/2004 Diamond Princess--Mexico
11/2003 Carnival Pride--Mexico
12/2002 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1/2001 Carnival Elation--Mexico
5/2000 Carnival Elation--Mexico
1986 - RCCL Song of America--Caribbean
1984 - RCCL Song of Norway-
-Caribbean
Montreal
389 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by SadieN
If OP has to meet the ship in Cabo, hopefully they realize it’s a tender port. Princess uses its own lifeboats here.

Yes, the OP has been to Cabo and knows it's a tender port. We would have traveled from LA by air to meet the ship, with an intervening sea day, so Cabo being a tender port shouldn't have much impact on getting on to the ship.
Phoenix, Arizona
822 Posts
Joined May 2005
All I can say is "NEVER, would I ever!" Too many times we've been stuck overnight in Houston or Newark or Dulles or London without luggage and possibly missing days of our cruise. We sailed last year in the Baltic without our luggage for 9 days after missing out on the first 3 days of the trip. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life Is Good!!
Debbie

. . . and it all started with a teeny-tiny inside cabin on the SS Azure Seas . . .
Husker Country
260 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We are trying it this way in November. Got EZ Air at a great price. Have insurance too. First flight of the morning and will get to LA at 930 am so hopefully that gives us wiggle room! And a hotel room near the airport in Omaha is a lot more reasonable! If we miss it I guess we can pick it up in San Francisco!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2017 Coral Princess Alaska
2017 Carnival Dream Western Caribbean
2016 Crown Princess Wine Coastal Cruise
2015 Ruby Princess Coastal California/Mexico
2015 Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean
2013 Carnival Dream Western Caribbean
2008 Caribbean Princess New England/Canada
1999 Sea Princess Western Caribbean
Cincinnati. OH-Go Reds
6,271 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I just searched ezair for my flight next Feb. Flying in day of cruise is way more expensive then one or two days prior. so I guess it depends on what airport you fly out of
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Texas
2,060 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by amypete
We are trying it this way in November. Got EZ Air at a great price. Have insurance too. First flight of the morning and will get to LA at 930 am so hopefully that gives us wiggle room! And a hotel room near the airport in Omaha is a lot more reasonable! If we miss it I guess we can pick it up in San Francisco!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe not. If your cruise is round trip Los Angeles with a stop at a foreign port - but not a distant foreign port, they may not let you board in San Francisco. A cruise from San Francisco to Los Angeles without a distant foreign port would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act.
27,057 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by amypete
Hope we don't have an early winter. I missed 3 connections with flights out of LNK this summer (weather not involved), just delays. Hope you have a direct flight.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Next: Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets
New Jersey
299 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
This is a bit off topic......We are using EZ Air to and from Europe this Fall. Going is a direct flight, and we will be in London 3 days before the cruise. My question concerns the return flight from Rome. We have a quick connection in Zurich. I was wondering if there is any help for us from Princess, if we miss the connection from Zurich to home - EWR? I hate doing connecting flights, but there was no alternative from Rome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Princess to Eastern Caribbean 4/16
Ruby Princess to British Isles 8/27/14
Golden Princess to Hawaii 4/13
Crown Princess to So. Caribbean 3/12
Coral Princess Alaska Cruisetour 8/11
Coral Princess to the Panama Canal - 3/10
Caribbean Princess to Eastern Caribbean - 7/08
Carnival Victory to Canada - 7/07
Celebrity Meridian to Bermuda - 8/94
27,057 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by speedyjane
I was wondering if there is any help for us from Princess, if we miss the connection from Zurich to home - EWR? I hate doing connecting flights, but there was no alternative from Rome.
I think you are in the airlines hands at that point. I missed flights and the airlines were able to rebook me. I didn't even think to call Princess - I just went through the airlines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me

Next: Crystal Mozart Christmas Markets
Husker Country
260 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by NavyVeteran
Maybe not. If your cruise is round trip Los Angeles with a stop at a foreign port - but not a distant foreign port, they may not let you board in San Francisco. A cruise from San Francisco to Los Angeles without a distant foreign port would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act.
Well my guess is with that, they will have to figure it out for us. When we booked the deal was discount EZ Air, so we figured it's worth a try. They made the itinerary, they can figure it out if there is a problem. I'm not too worried. And if something happens, it happens...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2017 Coral Princess Alaska
2017 Carnival Dream Western Caribbean
2016 Crown Princess Wine Coastal Cruise
2015 Ruby Princess Coastal California/Mexico
2015 Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean
2013 Carnival Dream Western Caribbean
2008 Caribbean Princess New England/Canada
1999 Sea Princess Western Caribbean