London to Southampton by train -luggage storage?

I'm traveling alone with my 6 years old son. I wanted to take the train from Waterloo because my son never took the train so this will be a great experience for him but reading lots of post in many thread that said there is problem to put our luggage somewhere... The princess sailing is FULL so I thing that the train will also be full the morning that we board the ship.

We are in a 20 days trip so we will have:

One big luggage (suitcase with wheel) that we will check in the airplane so this one will be around 20-22 kg and

2 small cabin luggage (suitcase with wheel) (that we bring with us in the airplane but they are the biggest that Air Canada allow us to bring inside the airplane).

and I will also have my backpack (smaller that the others piece of luggage of course)

As I'm traveling alone with my son so I cannot see how it will be possible to fit all this luggage if there is no place to put suitcase and don't think to put them on our legs neither?

Is it a bad idea to take the train because of this?

Is it better to take the national coach from Victoria?

Train is 20,55 for both of us and 1h17minutes.

bus is 11 pound for both of us and it is 2h15 minutes.

Don't really mind for the difference of the cost... it is shorter by train so I understand that time is money... even on vacation!

Thank you folks for your information that can help me to fix my mind!

Annie

Your son will certainly enjoy being on a train more than the bus so go for it. You are worrying unnecessarily about crowding - these trains are primarily for commuters who will all be at work by then, and even if there are several ships in on that day, only a small proportion of the passengers will be taking a train from London.

If you time it for after 10am, it will not be crowded and there will be plenty of room for your luggage. Smaller stuff can go on the overhead racks and the big case under the table. Here is a video that gives you some idea:

The important thing is that you will be joining the train at the start of the journey. If you board as soon as the platform number is announced on the indicator board, you will be able to choose your seats. You need to be selfish (don’t worry about it!) and grab four seats for the two of you. Then two suitcases can stand in front of the two empty seats and the other bags can go on the spare seats. Everybody does this so it is fine. As stated, the train is unlikely to be full so it isn’t a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There may also be room for bags on the floor, between the seat backs.

The baggage issues you have read about are likely about Southern Railway, out for Victoria and Gatwick.

Your train ex-Waterloo will be South Western Railway.

PS there is invariably more room at the south (fathest from the barrier) end of trains to Southampton...

Enjoy your trip (with your son in the picture window seat, facing the direction of travel).

There may also be room for bags on the floor, between the seat backs.

The baggage issues you have read about are likely about Southern Railway, out for Victoria and Gatwick.

Your train ex-Waterloo will be South Western Railway.

PS there is invariably more room at the south (fathest from the barrier) end of trains to Southampton...

Enjoy your trip (with your son in the picture window seat, facing the direction of travel).

Yes, you are quite right - the further you walk from the barrier, the less crowded the train usually is, as people are too lazy to walk further than they need. You will also avoid the last minute crowds who jump into the first carriage so as not to miss the train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for your reply!!! I gone a go for the train then! and arrive early in waterloo station! The bus was at 9am but the train I can easily take the 9h35 train but if I understand well it will be best for me to change my mind for the 10h05 train?

the 9h35 train arrive at the railway station at 10h49 and the 10h05 arrive at 11h22 I think both can be fine with the taxi ride won't take more than 10 minutes... I just try to avoid the big boarding line that usually are from 12h to 3h PM!!!!

Thank you very much for your help!

Annie

The princess sailing is FULL so I thing that the train will also be full the morning that we board the ship.
Even if every passenger on the ship decided to take the train from London to Southampton (which is very unlikely, as Bob++ says), the number of extra people on the trains would be barely noticeable. These trains take many thousands of people into London every morning, so there's lots of capacity.