MSC Grand Voyages (Repositioning Cruises) October 2014 - April 2015

Skipper Tim

Just booked Grand Voyage repositioning cruise, Rio to Genoa (getting off in Malaga) for 23 March 2015. Ist time with MSC and their booking arrangements are a bit odd (I think anyway) eg we chose our cabin, MSC said not available (although it was with another agent) then they gave us the cabin next door to the one we wanted, but said although the cabin number was allocated at time of booking, it may change to another anytime before the cruise.....but wouldn´t give any reason why that would happen...strange. Also that when we get off in Malaga there would be forms to complete to say that we weren´t leaving because of any form of dissatisfaction....

Sandy in Spain

MSCls cabin allocation algorithms are a black art. They are benneath human comprehension.

They always say that your cabin may change prior to embarkation. This just covers them if something terrible happens to it - fire, toilet explosion etc. - or if they accidentilly over-book. The latter has been known. It is highly unlikely, but not impossible, that your cabin allocation will be changed. If they offer you a downgrade, expect to be compensated with on board credit and a discount off a future cruise.

As for getting off early, you will hear different tales of this. Sometimes MSC simply refuse - in which case creep off with your luggage without asking permission - and sometimes a fee is requested to compensate the line for loss of revenue.

Sometimes with MSC it is better to 'think Italian' and do whatever you want, however you want to do it.

Edited by Skipper Tim

As for getting off early, you will hear different tales of this. Sometimes MSC simply refuse - in which case creep off with your luggage without asking permission - and sometimes a fee is requested to compensate the line for loss of revenue.

My experience is I telephoned MSC London Operations Dept who said no issue.

Just go to Reception on embarkation and complete the appropriate form.

No charge - no problems.

Annie

Thanks for the info everyone. There are so many different opinions and experiences regarding MSC cruises, I just hope we´ve done the right thing with this booking. Living in the campo in Spain has probably prepared us for the Italian experience to a certain extent as we´re already thinking Spanish :-)

Sandy in Spain

MSCls cabin allocation algorithms are a black art. They are benneath human comprehension.

They always say that your cabin may change prior to embarkation. This just covers them if something terrible happens to it - fire, toilet explosion etc. - or if they accidentilly over-book. The latter has been known. It is highly unlikely, but not impossible, that your cabin allocation will be changed. If they offer you a downgrade, expect to be compensated with on board credit and a discount off a future cruise.

Sometimes with MSC it is better to 'think Italian' and do whatever you want, however you want to do it.

Skipper Tim.

I know you are an expert on Grand Voyages and the use of Avios;)

Have been looking at MSC Poesia embarking Barcelona and disembarking Santos. How easy (and safe, DH a bit paranoid about this) is it to travel to Guarulhos from Santos to fly back to Madrid so we can use our Avios:). Many thanks Ann

Skipper Tim.

I know you are an expert on Grand Voyages and the use of Avios;)

Have been looking at MSC Poesia embarking Barcelona and disembarking Santos. How easy (and safe, DH a bit paranoid about this) is it to travel to Guarulhos from Santos to fly back to Madrid so we can use our Avios:). Many thanks Ann

Very easy and safe! Take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Santos bus station, around a mile, then the first Cometa bus to the airport, allow 2 to 3 hours for this. You can even book seats and buy tickets online: http://www.viacaocometa.com.br/pt/

If you have enough Avios, business class on Iberia is an undisputed bargain. The fare is around 10 times the price of economy for only double the Avios and the same taxes. I trust you have an Iberia Plus Avios account already?

Very easy and safe! Take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Santos bus station, around a mile, then the first Cometa bus to the airport, allow 2 to 3 hours for this. You can even book seats and buy tickets online: http://www.viacaocometa.com.br/pt/

If you have enough Avios, business class on Iberia is an undisputed bargain. The fare is around 10 times the price of economy for only double the Avios and the same taxes. I trust you have an Iberia Plus Avios account already?

Hi Skipper Time,

Thanks for this. Yes I have an account with Iberia with 29 avios in it at present, lol. Business CLass appears to be something like 100K avios for bothe and 50 euro or thereabouts taxes. Can hardly believe it. Just to decide no whether to do this or go with our original intention of BC to NY and a cruise from Florida. Decisions, decisions.:) Will come down to DH, I suppose:) He's dubious about safety and also leaving our pet dog for such a long time but don't ever know when I'll get the Avios again as they're drying up:(

Thanks again, Annx

Ann x

Edited by ann2201

Hi Skipper Tim,

Thanks for this. Yes I have an account with Iberia with 29 avios in it at present, lol. Business CLass appears to be something like 100K avios for bothe and 50 euro or thereabouts taxes. Can hardly believe it. Just to decide no whether to do this or go with our original intention of BC to NY and a cruise from Florida. Decisions, decisions.:) Will come down to DH, I suppose:) He's dubious about safety and also leaving our pet dog for such a long time but don't ever know when I'll get the Avios again as they're drying up:(

Thanks again, Annx

Ann x

Sorry Skipper Tim, keyed your name wrong:(

one thing thats occured to me reading these threads is that each different country has different deals - what is available in the uk etc is not available here - no wonder the staff onboard get confused - given the language barriers and the extraordinary amount of different packages available.:confused:

My friend told me it's the same as most cruise lines, informed that in advance and filled a form before disembarking. Especially if you are leaving early to a port that require visa inspection, as the ship will have to arrange for the custom officers to board and check your documents.

Hi Skipper Tim,

Thanks again, Annx

Ann x

I have two dogs that my brother looks after when I am away. They really have no idea whether I have been away for a day, a week or a month. They are always ecstatic to see me return. I doubt your dog will know the difference in time between a short and a long transatlantic.

I have vowed not to do another repo cruise involving the U.S. again. The last twice I have merely 'passed through', I have found the immigration process so laborious, humiliating and degrading that it has practically spoilt my trip. Certainly those are my worst memories of travel in my life. I am British and should be welcomed as a guest not as an illegal immigrant. Never again!

Santos is a huge commercial port with a cruise terminal somewhere in the middle. Only accredited taxis are allowed to pickup. The Cometa bus to the airport is actually a comfortable 'express' coach with hardly any stops. There is little opportunity for something to go wrong.

Famous last words I know.....

Edited by Skipper Tim

I have two dogs that my brother looks after when I am away. They really have no idea whether I have been away for a day, a week or a month. They are always ecstatic to see me return. I doubt your dog will know the difference in time between a short and a long transatlantic.

I have vowed not to do another repo cruise involving the U.S. again. The last twice I have merely 'passed through', I have found the immigration process so laborious, humiliating and degrading that it has practically spoilt my trip. Certainly those are my worst memories of travel in my life. I am British and should be welcomed as a guest not as an illegal immigrant. Never again!

Santos is a huge commercial port with a cruise terminal somewhere in the middle. Only accredited taxis are allowed to pickup. The Cometa bus to the airport is actually a comfortable 'express' coach with hardly any stops. There is little opportunity for something to go wrong.

Famous last words I know.....

Thanks Skipper Tim, Yes you're probably right about our girl:), have heard it say they have no idea of time. Strange she knows when she has to get her medication (with a cheese triangle, lol). Still to decide, actually considering a 7 day from Venice this year then use the Avios next Spring. Thanks again for all your advice

Ann x

• 3 weeks later...

I noted before that UK pricing on most repositioning cruises for the next season had increased from £25/£35/£45 pppn (inside/outside/balcony) with no single-occupancy supplement of a year previous to £35/£40/£45 with a 50% single-occupancy supplement. However, that did mean two sharing a balcony cabin had escaped the price hike.

That is no longer the case. Prices have recently increased again. They are now showing as £35/£45/£55 pppn with either a 50% or 100% single-occupancy supplement with many itineraries showing no availability for singles occupancy whatsoever.

I feel the hand of Giles Hawke attempting to create the belief that prices are on a steady upward trajectory and so panic people into booking 'before they increase again'. If MSC has failed to fill their repositioning cruises at far lower prices just a year before, what hope do they have at these prices? Result? Even emptier ships and/or last minute bargains galore! I hope both.

Just booked an aft/stern balcony......I guess we can sit out the back on the balcony in the afternoon and watch the sun go down and dream about how long the Divina was in NA.....we did the first cruise over last Spring...now doing the one back....thought the thinking was to keep the ship in NA for a long time but I guess it did not work out......NA's loss as is a very nice ship.....how are the prices for this one in Europe....are they offering any deals....??? like free air over and sail back