New Dress Code Designations?

bluemarble

To commemorate this thread reaching the 700-posts mark, I have a (potentially im)modest proposal: On every voyage, one of the "Gala" evenings should be an "Anything Goes Ball," in tribute to the 1934 Cole Porter musical of the same name,which -- some here may be old enough to recall -- is set on a transatlantic ocean liner. Having one officially-sanctioned opportunity to express their evening sartorial preferences in all venues might appease the "casuals" (or miscreant lemmings, if you prefer), while also driving home the point that differing dress specifications for different evenings call for differing evening dress. In line with the theme, that evening's theatre performance could be the complete show.

The appropriateness of the "Anything Goes" theme is reinforced, one might say, by the first couplet (after the introduction) of the title song's lyrics. Caveat: The last eight lines of the same stanza could prove troublesome.

If you don't quite remember the lyrics, ask Google.

To commemorate this thread reaching the 700-posts mark, I have a (potentially im)modest proposal: On every voyage, one of the "Gala" evenings should be an "Anything Goes Ball," in tribute to the 1934 Cole Porter musical of the same name,which -- some here may be old enough to recall -- is set on a transatlantic ocean liner. Having one officially-sanctioned opportunity to express their evening sartorial preferences in all venues might appease the "casuals" (or miscreant lemmings, if you prefer), while also driving home the point that differing dress specifications for different evenings call for differing evening dress. In line with the theme, that evening's theatre performance could be the complete show.

The appropriateness of the "Anything Goes" theme is reinforced, one might say, by the first couplet (after the introduction) of the title song's lyrics. Caveat: The last eight lines of the same stanza could prove troublesome.

If you don't quite remember the lyrics, ask Google.

It appears from mid-June, every Gala evening could be

declared as "Anything Goes", because the Gala Dress Code is a "request" with the insertion of the word "please" by Cunard.

I assumed but some posts in this thread give me the impression they believe anything less than full royal uniform is unsatisfactory. ;)

I don't care what anyone else wears, but it will be nice to be on a ship where nice clothes are the norm instead of "jeans without holes in them" as designated by most ships these days for dinner.

Shock horror, people wearing shorts in day, think I'll cancel everything and hide in my bunker watching a box set of Hyacinth Bucket on my black and white TV.

It is the Aussie influence, all us Colonials buying these world cruise sectors. Shorts, 24/7.:halo::(:loudcry:

I assumed but some posts in this thread give me the impression they believe anything less than full royal uniform is unsatisfactory. ;)

I can understand why that would appear so, but huge numbers - including my husband often - wear exactly what you are suggesting.

Our closet and boxes of accessories will testify that we enjoy dressing up and take the formal/gala nights seriously. However, I'm somewhat disappointed that a couple of the more outspoken members won't be aboard. It would almost be worth foregoing out usual post-dinner drinks in the Commodore Club to dress down to torn jeans on the first gala night and parade through the Queens Room to the G32 just to set them off.

And for what it's worth, to answer one of the recent questions - on a crossing, with four informal/smart nights, we usually wear a tie on two of the nights. (Not really planned one way or the other, but that's how it usually strikes us as we're dressing on those evenings) Respect the dress codes, your fellow passengers, the ship and tradition, and you'll be fine. With 2500+ fellow passengers aboard, it's entirely likely that one or two might have issues with something you do, are, or look like. I know I've got more things to do on a vacation than to worry about that eventuality.

Don't be put off by the Downton brigade, if it's within the dress code and you are happy wearing it that's what matters.

It's a HOLIDAY

I’ll be sporting red Clark’s shoes on informal evenings .... I need not any encouragement to go my own way lol.

Just curious, on informal nights on a crossing if I wear a navy blazer, chinos and a white button-up shirt WITHOUT a tie will I be in the minority? IE do most men wear ties on informal nights?

Based on my experience on 10 voyages since the QE2 was retired the majority of men do not wear ties on informal nights, but a large minority do. My estimate is 30% to 35% will wear ties and it has not mattered which of the dining rooms we have been in.

Based on my experience on 10 voyages since the QE2 was retired the majority of men do not wear ties on informal nights, but a large minority do. My estimate is 30% to 35% will wear ties and it has not mattered which of the dining rooms we have been in.
I agree with your observations.

I am one of those who normally wears a tie on "informal" nights (or whatever the name of non formal/gala nights is currently). (however I have one shirt that looks far better without a tie; I usually keep that for the last night so I can pack all my ties before dinner).

I simply think that a shirt that was clearly designed with a tie in mind, looks "wrong" without one, unfinished. When I was younger people would have assumed that I had forgotten to pack my tie, or had dropped soup down it and had taken it off.

I am one of those who normally wears a tie on "informal" nights (or whatever the name of non formal/gala nights is currently). (however I have one shirt that looks far better without a tie; I usually keep that for the last night so I can pack all my ties before dinner).

I simply think that a shirt that was clearly designed with a tie in mind, looks "wrong" without one, unfinished. When I was younger people would have assumed that I had forgotten to pack my tie, or had dropped soup down it and had taken it off.

DH is in your camp. He feels unfinished if he's wearing a shirt and jacket without a tie.

I agree. However, I always wear a tie, even on the last "informal" nights. I would actually prefer that all nights, except on embarkation, be (pre Cunard redefinition) "formal".

It would be interesting to see if those disliking the new rules were older. 70 and over? No offense to anyone in saying that either. It's a generation thing. Like it or not if Cunard doesn't change then in 10 years time you will find they go out of business. The next generation "mostly" don't feel the same about formal clothes being worn all the time. Or a tie etc, and just wait till you get the millennials all grown up and on mass! You may hate it and want to keep it but it is how it is.

I love wearing a DJ/tuxedo as it suggests dressing up for a special (Gala) night. Happy to have as many special nights as possible, say every non port night. Which is why I think Gala is better than formal night more exciting. If cunard makes Gala nights special the younger generation will not be put of, as they may by formal nights.

A suit and tie makes me think of work, so would be put off by that as a dress code. A jacket and tie makes me think of my father , whom I loved and admired but don't want to dress like him. A nice sports jacket with an appropriate shirt is a good non formal compromise.

I'm not a millennial, but not 80, a young at heart very active new retiree.

It would be interesting to see if those disliking the new rules were older. 70 and over? No offense to anyone in saying that either. It's a generation thing. Like it or not if Cunard doesn't change then in 10 years time you will find they go out of business. The next generation "mostly" don't feel the same about formal clothes being worn all the time. Or a tie etc, and just wait till you get the millennials all grown up and on mass! You may hate it and want to keep it but it is how it is.

So if your line of thinking is correct, why would anyone choose Cunard and pay more for the privilege, if it just offers the same as all the other lines? Apart from Transatlantics, I don't get it. It seems to me that a really smart business offers something that other businesses don't. Otherwise, where's their USP?

I don't fall into the age category you suggest, but my wife and I do greatly enjoy the formality of Cunard - it's why we made the line 'our own' and have done seven cruises with them in the last five years. However, when I was younger I wouldn't have dreamt of wearing a tux. People can and do change as they get older - even millenials might! It will be a pity if there is no longer any choice by then.

It would be nice if Cunard chose to lead rather than follow..