How I was trying to cruise on MSC. A REAL story step by step in pictures & video.

cruisetrail

Preface

Cruising is beautiful.

More cruising is more beautiful.

Cruising with different cruise lines is even more beautiful - incomparably more beautiful.

This thread is for newcomers first of all, and for all who likes cruising.

What cruise ship to choose for my next cruise?

Why that one, why not this one?

What is the difference?

How to see the difference?

The answer is: cruising experience.

Is that enough?

No.

We need certain skills (analysis and synthesis) of filtering out the facts and putting them together to get the picture.

Anticipating a cruise - that's a pleasure.

And it's time to do our home work: what ship and why?

What do we do before investing money into anything from a new TV to a new car?

Yes, we research the product.

Same here.

Once on a cruise, we compare our research results with the reality we have on the ship.

We repeat this over and over as we cruise more.

We add more and more different cruise ships and cruise lines to our treasury of cruising experience. We improve our cruising skills.

What did we know about let's say Norwegian Breakaway by the day she left a shipyard?

Some may say - nothing.

Sit down Jonny, unsatisfactory!

Experienced cruisers (expert cruisers) knew a lot.

At least they knew more than enough to make a decision on whether to cruise on this ship or not and under what conditions.

I cruise with all major cruise lines and do not sign up for fan-boyish clubs.

That gives me diversified experience, multicolored and wide spectrum vision of cruising industry.

As an engineer I see how ships are designed.

As an experienced cruiser I see and feel the ship from a customers' point of view.

As a travel professional I see how the cruising product parameters are composed and implemented into operation.

How do I know so much about a ship I haven'cruised before?

Now you know how: experience and research.

Yes, it may be a tough task for a newbie or for a "dedicated" one-cruise-line-only-cruiser for obvious reason - lack of diverse cruising experience.

It's like buying your first car vs your twentieth car - what a difference!

A few words about reading reviews.

Doing your research:

look for facts, measurable things, pictures, videos, deck plans, menus, statistics, detailed descriptions.

Putting them together you'll get a picture.

What will you get if you add "stunning"+"beautiful"+"wonderful"?

Nothing but the fact that someone likes something.

It's not a fact that the ship is "beautiful".

The only fact is that someone likes it.

It's encouraging but can be misleading.

Think of Carnival Ecstasy - 76% like it.

Get more facts.

May be the ship is beautiful for you too..

So....

Let's go though my homework together - step by step.

My first attempted to book a cruise on MSC ship was last year.

As you know now, I was well informed of the quality of MSC product.

Never planned a cruise with them.

However, their introduction of Fantasia class ships provoked my interest.

Only technical people can understand this: technical interest to try a "new design". A ship may be horrible but the process of study may be interesting - thus a "good time".

Yes, maybe "never again", but one time - why not?

So there are no "no go" ships for me on condition that I have time and budget.

Here we have to make a stop and look at the difference between vacation cruising and retirement cruising.

I work for a living, my vacation time is limited and precious, my money are hard earned.

Therefore I cannot afford spending my resources on a so-so a cruise.

Had I been a retired person, I would have closed my eyes on everything and.... because cruising is a pleasure and even the Carnival Ecstasy returns with positive reviews...

...Under complex circumstances I happened to be ready for a solo cruise on the Splendida from Barcelona.

Holiday period.

Crazy (crazy) prices.

Solo supplement - 80%.

I did my research.

Studied the ship inside out, took photos while in ports, selected a cabin.

No.

It did not happen that time because I found a better cruise, so my technical interest was postponed until uncertain time.

Good news!

MSC Divina is going to operate cruises from MIA on regular basis.

The Divina is a Fantasia clone with minor changes.

The technical interest still present.

Other circumstances?

All of a sudden - we need an Eastern Caribbean cruise for a family of four.

We are looking for a minimal reasonable price.

Doesn't it sound like we are MSC clients this time?

Look: they are advertising lowest prices and "kids sail free".

Our kid is 12 though.

Why not close our eyes on everything I know about MSC and enjoy low prices & technical interest?

Let' see.

Other options?

The two of us are newbies.

The best way to introduce a new person to cruising is to take a cruise on a classy ship. It may be not the cheapest cruise, but the first experience must be comprehensive, like the full presentation.

I would easily make an exception for "less classy" Allure of the Seas - no one will regret it. But prices....

Surprise!

I found the lowest price on.... HAL Signature Class ship.

HAL Signature Class - sister ships MS Eurodam and MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

OK.

Let's have a closer look at the MSC Divina and the Signature class.

How wold we enjoy ourselves on these ships?

Many thanks to all cruising enthusiasts who upload their photos and video in the net.

It's so helpful.

I do the same.

Sometimes it takes me less time to google my photos in the net than to look up my computer!:)

My homework is coming!

Edited by cruisetrail

All aboard ... The first photo looks very much like the Queen Victoria Dining room but in different colours! both are Vista class hulls with main Dining rooms in the same place as you are no doubt aware.

While trawling through Cruise deck plans i spotted the space ratios for the Eurodam 34 @ 86,273 tons, Nieuw Amsterdam 34 @ 86,700 tons, Queen Victoria 38 @ 90,000 tons and MSC Divina 33 @139,400 tons.

So Divina has a better space ratio that the other three!

All aboard ... The first photo looks very much like the Queen Victoria Dining room but in different colours!

I had no real problem with the design of venue, however the decor would result in spontaneous bouts of indigestion and nausea.

All aboard ... The first photo looks very much like the Queen Victoria Dining room but in different colours! both are Vista class hulls with main Dining rooms in the same place as you are no doubt aware.

While trawling through Cruise deck plans i spotted the space ratios for the Eurodam 34 @ 86,273 tons, Nieuw Amsterdam 34 @ 86,700 tons, Queen Victoria 38 @ 90,000 tons and MSC Divina 33 @139,400 tons.

So Divina has a better space ratio that the other three!

I think you've got it wrong or misunderstand what a space ratio is

According to Berlitz the space ratios are

Eurodam:-lowerbeds/all berths 41.2/32.4 tonnes per guest

Nieuw Amsterdam:-lowerbeds/all berths 40.9/32.2 tonnes per guest

Queen Victoria:-lowerbeds/all berths 44.7/41.4 tonnes per guest

MDC Divina:-lowerbeds/all berths 39.8/32.0 tonnes per guest

And as gross tonnes are a measure of VOLUME the higher the space rsatio the better for the guests.1.e. more volume per guest equals less crowded

So in my book Divina has the worst space ratio under both capacities :-lowerbeds/all berths , and Q.V. is by far and away the best set of numbers

Hi Cruisetrail, welcome to to Cruise Critic. If I understand your post properly, you have not sailed with MSC yet but are willing to do it. You are doing your research on the MSC cruiseline and probably also on others.

You have two important criteria which are a good value for money and a technical one. Since you seem to be well informed already about the technical aspects of MSC ships, I am sure that if you keep monitoring prices specially in the Mediterranean, you will find a cruise with good value for money. For example today Cruise Critic is advertising 7 days Mediterrenean cruises this fall with MSC ab US 399pp.

I have sailed once with MSC (Magnifica) and I had a good time. If you are interested on my review, you can look for it at cruise critic. I have also had a life blog on this forum (from Santos to Hamburg).

My experience with MSC was not perfect but good enough to book another cruise with them. I choose a particular cruiseline specially because of the itinerary.

I wish you lots of fun on your upcoming cruises and if you find a cruise with MSC that suits your criteria for sailing on the firs place, it will be nice to hear about you own impresions, subjective or not.

On the mean time Iam sure this forum can contribute to your research.

I choose a particular cruiseline specially because of the itinerary.

This is a wrong way of choosing a cruise, as ports do not really matter. Now in OP's eyes you are not a real cruiser.

Are you serious? Could you please explain why ports do not really matter?

Yes I am, but this is not my way of thinking.

I just know this from reading numerous reviews of OP.

Port time should be used to enjoy the ship. Ports are just nice or not very nice additions to the ship.

Edited by Tatka

Only true 5-star (or 6-star) luxurious cruise ships or may be super large ships such as Oasis could claim "the ship is the destination". Though I personally think a nice itinerary is still a very important deal maker to me.

This is a wrong way of choosing a cruise, as ports do not really matter. Now in OP's eyes you are not a real cruiser.

WRONG!! Of course Itinerary is a major facor in the choice of a cruise!! along with price ,cruise line and ship, and cabin selections and ameneties that go with the cabins,

But I'm not a major seasoned cruiser so hey what would I know.

I've only done 21(with 2 booked) cruises as compared to your 24(with 2 booked)

RCI :-Diamond

NCL:- Silver

MSC:- GOLD going on BLACK in Oct

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Why are we taking this cruise?

We are looking for a winter break in the Caribbean on board of a comfortable ship.

We are looking for enjoyment of sea travel.

We anticipate great time on paradise islands.

We'll grab as much of the sea and sun as possible and bring it home.

Meet our nominees!

MSC Splendida is a sister ship to the Divina.

40_zps5b254a92.jpg

a60_zpsc5fe0c18.jpg

Edited by cruisetrail

Meet our nominees!

MSC Splendida is a sister ship to the Divina.

Splendida as EIGHT cat. 12 cabins (Not Aurea Spa cat. 12 as on Divina) on deck 12, (12204,12206,12222,12226,12231,12233,12247,12253) which Divina doesn't have and the are 50% bigger than other balcony cabins ,including most of the YC cabins and they are fantastic.. large balconies as well!!!

Worth getting if there are any left

Cat 12 on Splendida

12206copy.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52