Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

I wonder if the Breakaway passengers will receive the same refund as they were probably more inconvenienced with arriving later and having to tender.

I can see why the Dawn passengers should get compensation, I am sure it was stressful, but I am wondering about Breakaway passengers as well.

The Dawn Class are faster than that! Star needed to maintain close to her maximum of 25 kn (nm = nautical miles, kn = knots) when she used to the Hawaii - Fanning Island runs. These are some of the fastest ships in the industry.

We're on the GEM in 2012, less than a week after Sandy & sailed NY-Caribbean head-on into a Noreaster storm & blasted our way out of it - about 15 hours in near hurricane conditions with strong gale force wind, effective ship speed for 24.5 to 25+ kn as indicated on ships' live NAV Channel - that was a "fun" ride and we had a porthole on deck 4 that time. Up until then, we've previously sailed no faster than 23 kn but "normally" cruise a little slower - for fuel economy purposes and a smoother ride for most pax. Picture below not from the height of our stormy ride then - gale force wind gave the ship a big speed boost - these aero-sleek ships are built to take on Atlantic crossings https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Gem%202012%20Photos/11-12-2012/NCL%20Gem%20-%20Weather.jpg

Cheers & it's good news for folks onboard the Dawn & for the Breakaway pax later on, once the berth is cleared - they don't need to ride the tender back to their floating ship/hotel on the island. Dawn left the pier, pilot boat alongside AFT - starboard side ... safe voyage, now just watch for the coral.

Edited by mking8288

I can see why the Dawn passengers should get compensation, I am sure it was stressful, but I am wondering about Breakaway passengers as well.

Not sure why Breakaway passengers should get anything, there was no problem with their cruise.

We're on the GEM in 2012, less than a week after Sandy & sailed NY-Caribbean head-on into a Noreaster storm & blasted our way out of it - about 15 hours in near hurricane conditions with strong gale force wind, effective ship speed for 24.5 to 25+ kn as indicated on ships' live NAV Channel - that was a "fun" ride and we had a porthole on deck 4 that time. Up until then, we've previously sailed no faster than 23 kn but "normally" cruise a little slower - for fuel economy purposes and a smoother ride for most pax. Picture below not from the height of our stormy ride then - gale force wind gave the ship a big speed boost - these aero-sleek ships are built to take on Atlantic crossings.

There's nothing like cruising at high speeds, is there? I remember sailing on QM2 back when she used to do 8 day Caribbean (not Bahamas) cruises out of NYC. Two days from NYC to St. Maarten, which required an average speed of 27 kn. I also remember sailing on QE2 at over 30 kn towards the end of her career. Those days are gone sadly :(

Even the Dawn and Jewel Class are considered unnecessarily fast these days. Of course, NCL let the pendulum swing too far back, and now Breakaway and Getaway are so underpowered that they can barely maintain some of their scheduled runs. That's one of the reasons why Escape will be getting an extra diesel generator and more powerful pods.

Not sure why Breakaway passengers should get anything, there was no problem with their cruise.

One reason is had to tender this morning unexpectedly. I am sure there are some people on board unable to use the tender for one reason or the other.

Edited by Mistizoom

No one said she's a bad person. It's just funny ... people like their 5 minutes of fame. it's human nature.

Oh I would so take that fame ...."And I'd like to take this moment to give a shout out to my peeps on cruise critic...this is going to be one hell of a review/report when I get back" ...and frantically wave at the cameras. :D

Should have been 18%... for obvious reasons! ;)

LOL...couldn't help but bust out laughing at this.