Disembarking in Brooklyn

Sybaris63

My wife and I will be sailing from Southampton to NY on the QM2. We will be flying out of Laguardia and would like to take the earliest flight possible.

What would be a safe time to book for our flight departure?

thanks

Welcome to the Cruise Critic site.

If you post the dock that your ship will be using and the time of arrival you should receive more reply's to your question.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

Cunard's recommended flight times are more conservative than most other lines. I believe they are: 12:30 for LGA, 1:00 for JFK, 1:30 for EWR. They will not allow you to book their airport transfer coach or car for flights earlier than that. Considering how difficult egress from the Brooklyn pier can be I personally would not recommend earlier than noon unless you are doing express walk-off (hand carrying all your luggage) and have a private transfer waiting for you. After the first wave of disembarkation the queue for taxis is often horrendous.

Edited by fishywood

Welcome to the Cruise Critic site.

If you post the dock that your ship will be using and the time of arrival you should receive more reply's to your question.

Bob

There are three docks in the NY area. Manhattan, Brooklyn & across the river in NJ. The OP said he was debarking in Brooklyn.

Since the OP did mention "Brooklyn" and that is where the QM2 usually docks we assume they are referring to Red Hook. With luck the drive from port to LGA will take you about 1 hour. The "Queen" usually docks before 7am (unless there are unusual delays) but one can never count on our US Authorities (CDP) to be fast at clearing the ship and passengers :(. We would personally not want to chance anything from LGA before noon. Traffic in the NYC area is always unpredictable and delays too common for comfort. You might be able to make an earlier flight, but given the bug penalties for missing a flight why take the chance.

As to transfers, if you are doing it on your own you have a few options. There are taxis at the port although you might be stuck in a long queue. NYC also has something they call "Black Cars" which are private car services you can pre book online. You can also call these companies once you arrive. The "Black Cars" are licensed but are not permitted to pick-up fares off the streets like taxis. And now there is also Uber which you can contact when you arrive.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

a car service from the brooklyn cruise terminal to lga should about $50....so should a cab(green or yellow) from the cruise terminal absent traffic...but there is almost always traffic and the meter will click away and will be more. The cruise terminal has limos/blacks cars waiting for about twice that price. most car services uses black colored cars in fact the term black car is a generic term for any black car/car service/limo although there also is a car service called black car. I use a local car service as I live in the area Arecibo 7187836465- they will tell you to call once past customs there is a pay phone but using a cell phone is good just dont use it in the customs hall line.

http://www.arecibocc.com/ it says $35 from the area to lga but tips are expected and they mat charge a couple extra bucks, there is no toll from the cruise terminal to lga. its about 9 miles. without traffic its 20 minutes but unless its a weekend am there is likely to be traffic and take longer

• 1 month later...

Twelve people with luggage, you're going to need three regular size shuttles like the ones Super Shuttle uses. You might want to research a bus type shuttle, or one the size that car rental companies use. With one of those, all twelve should fit.

OP, the day of the week that you're disembarking the ship will also impact the amount of time you'll need to get to the airport. And, there's a lot of road construction going on in the greater NYC area, so again, that will impact your decision.

Thanks Cruiseread; did contact super shuttle and their vans only hold 10 so would need tow. In my mind; must be one that holds 12 or a shared transfer bus at pier.

I just googled charter bus service Brooklyn and it brought up a few places that have those 20 passenger busses or 12 passenger stretch SUV's. You might look at the North American Home Ports boards for recommendations as well.