Do you take your kids out of school to cruise?

Family Cruises
Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:32 AM.
#61
Cedar Hills ,UT
1,500 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
As a retired high school teacher, including AP courses, I found it was my students who were hesitant to miss school, not me, as their teacher, having concerns. I told my students they and their parents needed to weigh the pros and cons of their vacation plan.
As mentioned in this thread there are numerous educational, intellectual and cultural lessons to be learned while traveling. But we were still continuing to hold class even while they were absent, and there is instruction which will occur that just doesn't translate well from a written page compared to being in the classroom. And this should be true in all classrooms, from elementary through secondary school. If a student has no loss of instructional growth when absent ,then, in my opinion, that teacher isn't very effective.
Sometimes students will have homework to do while on their vacation, sometimes not, and so will teachers ; I can't count how many Christmas cruises I dedicated a couple hours everyday to reading research papers while sitting on my balcony, but that was ok, it's part of the sacrifices everyone makes when planning a holiday. ( seriously I was in the Caribbean, not the snow, how could that be negative )
Talk with your kids, their teachers and as a parent be cognizant of your child's academic comfort and success. Whatever decision is made be satisfied with it, neither you nor your kids need to be anxious or unhappy when it comes to a vacation.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Explorer of the Seas August 25, 2018 -7 day Alaska
Oasis December 10, 2017 -7 day Caribbean
Navigator March 16, 2018 -10 day Caribbean
Independence August 5, 2018 -6 day France,Spain
Brilliance August 20, 2018 -12 day Baltic

Past Sailings - 50 + and still sailing

#62
south central pennsylvania
1,646 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Yes we have taken them out for cruises and Disney World and will again in April of 2018 for a cruise. They are in 3rd and 11th. This may be the last time we get to cruise with our oldest. He is an honor roll student so he knows to keep grades up or he isn't going. So far this school year he says 2 other classmates have been on cruises so it's going on a lot apparently.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2016 Adventure of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean from San Juan
December 2014 Oasis of the Seas 7 nights Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
October 2009 Freedom of the Seas 7 nights Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral
November 2007 Jewel of the Seas 6 nights Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale
February 2006 Adventure of the seas 7 nights Southern from San Juan
April 2003 Voyager of the Seas 7 nights Western from Miami
May 2000 Monarch of the Seas 7 nights Southern from San Juan


#63
Virgina
4,176 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
We have never taken our kids out of school - it wasn’t worth the make up work for us. And now that my youngest is in middle school and a 3 sport athlete, he misses too much practice and too many games. But to each their own.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
#64
Northern California
1,880 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by ToothDoc78
I'm just curious what other people's thoughts are on this topic. My DS is 10 and DD is 9 (3rd and 5th grade). We've cruised over holiday breaks as a family and have also taken them out of school for a week (usually October or November). Overall, we all enjoy the "off season" cruises better. They're less busy and the kids clubs are not overflowing, not to mention the price is always much less!
With my son starting middle school next year, I'm more hesitant to take him out for a week, knowing it'll be harder for him to catch up. DH doesn't think it's a big deal, but I'm having second thoughts on if we should move our November cruise to Thanksgiving week.
For those of you that take kids out of school, how did it go for your middle/high schoolers? Thanks!
We've taken the kids out of school for vacation, sports, and big family events. In our district, if we are out 5 days the school can provide a "Plan" and will not lose out on their funding if this is done ahead of time. So, we try to do this 5 days at a time instead of a few days here or there, but sometimes that's not the case.

I'm not going to lie, It has gotten more difficult with middle school: 6th grade was no biggie, 7th just a small issue, 8th grade, I'm feeling guilty because he will need to request finals prior to other kids in December, making the teachers come up with the test sooner or postponing it until after the holidays (they changed the school year on us, otherwise, we would not have been "gone" the last week of December).

Anyway, we have taken the kids out the week of Thanksgiving (It's 3 minimum days, and two days off, so I never feel guilty there), full weeks are easier because we can request "school work", but overall, I don't worry about it. Family time is important, My kids have straight As, well, the one in middle school. The younger one is doing great in school. (grades don't start until middle school) They both work hard. These family trips will be amazing memories for them.

Not sure I will do the vacations during school time once high school starts, but so far, it has not been a problem. It has not affected the kids academically.
#65
Nebraska
392 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
We are having the same conversation in our home. We have pulled the kids out of school for family vacation in the off-season when it actually affordable for the last 3 years and are again this year. The last few we had a day or two off during that week for various teacher workshop days but this year we don't. Our son will be going into 7th grade next year and we are facing the same question whether we can continue the vacations next year. We reinforce the idea that school is their "job". We are asking ourselves a few questions:
1- Are the grades excellent and are they keeping up their academic studies?
2- Music/band consistently improving and keeping up
3- Behavior and respect for family and for others is present

We feel if those questions are all positive and the kids feel confident and we have good communication with their teachers, then we just go with what we feel is right. We also live in a military area where families get separated for deployments of PCS and they have a lot of empathy for the importance of family connections. So, we will probably continue the same plans if all is good because:
1- you are right, you only get so much time, and once high school comes, or jobs or college is gets harder. You hope they always want to hang with you, but with adulthood comes freedom.
2- You never know about life next year, take those opportunities because - TRUTH- you may not get another chance. You can't take stuff with you, family is what is important.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Imagination-Jan '98,Carnival Imagination-Jan '00, Carnival Victory-Jan '02, Carnival Paradise-Jan '04,RCCL Vision-Oct '04,Carnival Triumph-May '05, Carnival Glory-Feb '08, Carnival Imagination-May '09, Carnival Valor-Jan '10, Carnival Breeze-Feb '14, Carnival Magic-Feb '15, Carnival Elation-Sept '15, Carnival Magic-Feb '16,Carnival Breeze-Feb '17, Carnival Breeze-Feb '18
#66
Ontario
327 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I took my kids out for a week at a time before. Now that they are in high school it makes it harder. But after looking at what classes they had in what semester we decided taking a an extra few days off around spring break (worked better with flights and timing of cruise) was ok.

For us, we've been taught by life that you never know what the future will bring and that we have to spend time together as a family while we can.

You have to decide what works bets for you and your kids. But don't let anyone make you feel bad if you decide to take your kids out of school. Making memories with family is important too.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#67
Alaska and UAE
284 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Definite advantage of us homeschooling. We can do trips in the offseasons, when other kids are typically in school. Makes for great travelling, when things are less busy, whether it be cruises, theme parks, or other hot destinations. If we choose, we can even bring along some school material to do while we travel.

That very stuff is allowing us to do a 5 week b2b cruise vacation coming up here in Jan/Feb.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature






#69
70 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by PT 109
If a student has no loss of instructional growth when absent ,then, in my opinion, that teacher isn't very effective.
Ha, true. My husband tells the story that he was out sick in high school for quite a few days. (He was normally a great student who missed very little school.) His teacher refused to give any allowance or consideration for his illness and insisted he take the test the same day as the other students did, the day he was back (rather than giving any time to learn the material once he was better and no longer ill/vomiting etc.) So he tried to learn the material on his own while out sick and took the test....and was the only student in the class to pass, which did not reflect well on the teacher!

That said, we all learn differently. Some are great students and can learn the material on their own just as well, others may need to hear it from the teacher or discuss with the students. But even then, parents can make the effort to fill in that gap.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Summit - Western Caribbean, March 2009
Island Princess - Panama Canal, October 2013
Emerald Princess - Southern Caribbean, March 2015
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean, January 2018 (upcoming)
#70
2,310 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
With the talk of taking kids out of school to go on vacation at the parents schedule. I would sure like to try that with my employer....telling him I am taking off such and such weeks for a vacation...even though I'm not entitled to the time off....see how long I would last there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]


2018 Ruby Princess - 7 night - October 27 - November 3 LA, Cabo San Lucas, Mazetlan, Puerto Vallerta
2018 Ruby Princess - 5 night - October 22 -27 Cabo San Lucas
2018 Caribbean Princess 7 night - June 2 - 9 Rt Ft Lauderdale Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel
2017 Regal Princess 10 night October 26 - November 5 - New York to Ft Lauderdale
2017 Crown Princess 5 night March 20 - 25 RT Ft Lauderdale--Amber Cove, Grand Turk
2016 Caribbean Princess 8 night -- November 5--Ft Lauderdale RT ABC Islands
2015 Regal Princess 5 night --November 3 - 8 Ft Lauderdale RT Back to Back
2015 Regal Princess 10 night -- October 24 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2014 Royal Princess 10 night -- October 25 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2013 Caribbean Princess October 26 -- 10 night New York to Houston
2013 Caribbean Princess April 13 -- 7 night Ft Lauderdale RT
2012 Caribbean Princess October 31-- 10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (Hurricane Sandy) Actually 11/2 -- 11/10 Delay due to hurricane
2011 Caribbean Princess October 29 --10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (NorEaster)
2010 Norwegian Star October 25 -- Miami - Miami
2009 Celebrity Constellation October 30 -- Bayonne - Miami
2007 RCCL Empress of the Seas October 27 -- Philadelphia - San Juan
2006 Norwegian Spirit October 29 -- New York to New York (Freezing Cold)
2004 RCCL Empress of the Seas --Bayonne to Bayonne
2003 Celebrity Century July -- Ft Lauderdale - Ft Lauderdale
1995 - 1999 Regal Cruises Regal Empress -- 8 times
1994 - 1995 Dolphin Line Seabreeze-- Two times
1992 - 1993 Chandris Line Britannis-- Two times
1990 Crown Cruise Line Crown Monarch --Cruise that started it all.......July 27- Aug 3
#71
191 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by myfuzzy
With the talk of taking kids out of school to go on vacation at the parents schedule. I would sure like to try that with my employer....telling him I am taking off such and such weeks for a vacation...even though I'm not entitled to the time off....see how long I would last there.
My kids' school district has a vacation request form. Describe the educational value of the trip, turn it in, and viola vacation gets approved and the kid is excused for the vacation and it doesn't count against their attendance. It has never been a problem. And if it was a problem I would still take a family vacation when it works for my family as they are my children and not the school district's.

By some huge coincidence last fall we took my daughter out of school for a trip to Salem MA the same week they were studying The Crucible. Did she learn more sitting like a drone in a classroom or more touring the museums, cemeteries, etc in Salem? I would say going to Salem was more educational. Other parents would disagree. We also spent a night in the Lizzie Borden B and B and learned all about a famous murder and subsequent trial and did a whale watching cruise in Boston (which was magical as whales are rare in Pennsylvania lol).

Why some busybodies get so up in arms about OTHER parents' kids missing school to take a vacation is beyond me. Read the thread on the Carnival board about the poor little girl who died falling over a railing. Posters who flat out said the death was the parents' fault because the kid should have been in school and not on vacation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#72
2,310 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by ladybugpug
My kids' school district has a vacation request form. Describe the educational value of the trip, turn it in, and viola vacation gets approved and the kid is excused for the vacation and it doesn't count against their attendance. It has never been a problem. And if it was a problem I would still take a family vacation when it works for my family as they are my children and not the school district's.

By some huge coincidence last fall we took my daughter out of school for a trip to Salem MA the same week they were studying The Crucible. Did she learn more sitting like a drone in a classroom or more touring the museums, cemeteries, etc in Salem? I would say going to Salem was more educational. Other parents would disagree. We also spent a night in the Lizzie Borden B and B and learned all about a famous murder and subsequent trial and did a whale watching cruise in Boston (which was magical as whales are rare in Pennsylvania lol).

Why some busybodies get so up in arms about OTHER parents' kids missing school to take a vacation is beyond me. Read the thread on the Carnival board about the poor little girl who died falling over a railing. Posters who flat out said the death was the parents' fault because the kid should have been in school and not on vacation.

I didn't say anything about any schooling, If attending school is a non issue, then why bother going to school if vacationing is more beneficial in obtaining an education in a brick and mortar building. To me, its setting the wrong example to take children out of school when its in session. Going forward, they may think its OK for them to just pick up and go whenever they want in the workforce.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]


2018 Ruby Princess - 7 night - October 27 - November 3 LA, Cabo San Lucas, Mazetlan, Puerto Vallerta
2018 Ruby Princess - 5 night - October 22 -27 Cabo San Lucas
2018 Caribbean Princess 7 night - June 2 - 9 Rt Ft Lauderdale Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, Cozumel
2017 Regal Princess 10 night October 26 - November 5 - New York to Ft Lauderdale
2017 Crown Princess 5 night March 20 - 25 RT Ft Lauderdale--Amber Cove, Grand Turk
2016 Caribbean Princess 8 night -- November 5--Ft Lauderdale RT ABC Islands
2015 Regal Princess 5 night --November 3 - 8 Ft Lauderdale RT Back to Back
2015 Regal Princess 10 night -- October 24 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2014 Royal Princess 10 night -- October 25 New York to Ft Lauderdale
2013 Caribbean Princess October 26 -- 10 night New York to Houston
2013 Caribbean Princess April 13 -- 7 night Ft Lauderdale RT
2012 Caribbean Princess October 31-- 10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (Hurricane Sandy) Actually 11/2 -- 11/10 Delay due to hurricane
2011 Caribbean Princess October 29 --10 night New York to Ft Lauderdale (NorEaster)
2010 Norwegian Star October 25 -- Miami - Miami
2009 Celebrity Constellation October 30 -- Bayonne - Miami
2007 RCCL Empress of the Seas October 27 -- Philadelphia - San Juan
2006 Norwegian Spirit October 29 -- New York to New York (Freezing Cold)
2004 RCCL Empress of the Seas --Bayonne to Bayonne
2003 Celebrity Century July -- Ft Lauderdale - Ft Lauderdale
1995 - 1999 Regal Cruises Regal Empress -- 8 times
1994 - 1995 Dolphin Line Seabreeze-- Two times
1992 - 1993 Chandris Line Britannis-- Two times
1990 Crown Cruise Line Crown Monarch --Cruise that started it all.......July 27- Aug 3
#73
United States
14,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by myfuzzy
To me, its setting the wrong example to take children out of school when its in session. Going forward, they may think its OK for them to just pick up and go whenever they want in the workforce.
I don't see the linkage
#74
Ontario
327 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by myfuzzy
I didn't say anything about any schooling, If attending school is a non issue, then why bother going to school if vacationing is more beneficial in obtaining an education in a brick and mortar building. To me, its setting the wrong example to take children out of school when its in session. Going forward, they may think its OK for them to just pick up and go whenever they want in the workforce.


Most kids (unlike some adults who feel the need to act like they know what is best for everyone else's kids) get that life as a child is much different then life as an adult. My kids have been taken out of school for family vacations in the past and will again get taken out for a couple days in march. Trust me they, unlike some adults, are smart enough to get that you can't just get up and go away on vacation whenever you want as an adult.

And saying that those vacations and family time is important is in no way saying that school isn't also important. It's not one or the other. It's a combination. Again fascinating that kids get that, but adults don't.

You know why I'm taking my kids out of school? Because we couldn't go on this trip if I didn't. We have other things planned during school breaks, including work and local trips.

Family time is very important and kids grow up quickly. My kids have memories that they will cherish forever. Things that will stick with them much longer then anything they learned in school. I was reminded of this in a very powerful way this year. My family was hit with a tragedy that I won't get into here, but it affected my kids, we were all taught how short life is. You shouldn't have to go through what we have to learn that sometimes you need to stop and smell the roses and cherish your family.

If you feel that kids shouldn't be taken out of school then fine don't take YOUR kids out. But keep your opinions on how to raise kids to yourself.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#75
191 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Canadianmama3
Most kids (unlike some adults who feel the need to act like they know what is best for everyone else's kids) get that life as a child is much different then life as an adult. My kids have been taken out of school for family vacations in the past and will again get taken out for a couple days in march. Trust me they, unlike some adults, are smart enough to get that you can't just get up and go away on vacation whenever you want as an adult.

And saying that those vacations and family time is important is in no way saying that school isn't also important. It's not one or the other. It's a combination. Again fascinating that kids get that, but adults don't.

You know why I'm taking my kids out of school? Because we couldn't go on this trip if I didn't. We have other things planned during school breaks, including work and local trips.

Family time is very important and kids grow up quickly. My kids have memories that they will cherish forever. Things that will stick with them much longer then anything they learned in school. I was reminded of this in a very powerful way this year. My family was hit with a tragedy that I won't get into here, but it affected my kids, we were all taught how short life is. You shouldn't have to go through what we have to learn that sometimes you need to stop and smell the roses and cherish your family.

If you feel that kids shouldn't be taken out of school then fine don't take YOUR kids out. But keep your opinions on how to raise kids to yourself.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Agree 100%!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature