Anything at the pier

10XCruiser

Thanks for sharing!

You really can have an enjoyable time in Bonaire without swimming/snorkeling.

While we normally like to snorkel there, my husband had an eye infection so was not able to get into the water on one of our port stops there.

We still had a good time.

The vendors have a bit nicer things and aren't at all pushy.

We went to a bar on a small pier on the water about 11 AM. Lots of local were there and mostly drinking coffee. Beautiful fish were swimming all around that pier -- easily seen just by looking down.

Enjoy Bonaire! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the town square/shopping district are a 5-10 minute walk from the pier. As the video showed, there was an open-air crafts market, and then shops and a couple art galleries on the main street. Do stop in the Salt Shop! There are also tour vendors right when you get off the ship.

We took a tour from one of the vendors near the pier. We had a great guide--an American who has been living in Bonaire for a few decades. She was very knowledgeable plus easy to understand. She was fluent in Dutch and Papiamentu, too. I loved seeing the flamingos in Goto Meer. We also went to the other end of the island to see the slave quarters and salt flats. The total tour was three and three-quarter hours long. It was on a medium size air-conditioned bus with 20 passengers--and of course half the cost of the cruise line's similar tour.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I never take the ship tours but I am tempted to this time as I want both island tour and beach time and usually the port vendors offer one or the other. Has anyone been here and seen a vendor offering both?