Please help with our 2nd cruise out of Venice

soggy1975

We're a family of 4 (2 teenage boys) planning a weeks cruise from Venice in summer 2018, with a few days in Venice precruise.

Last year was our 1st cruise on the Ncl Epic out if Barcelona and we enjoyed it.

My first question is whether 1 night in Venice before the cruise is enough. Last year we had 2 nights in Barcelona before embarkation but I'm not sure there's enough in Venice to interest the kids.

Also does anyone have any recommendations on good value hotels (I'm thinking €250 per night). Venice hotels seem v expensive, is the city centre easily accessible if we stay in Mestre where hotels seem much cheaper.

Comparing our cruise options we are choosing between Ncl star and Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the sea.

Costs are similar (once drinks are factored in) so the choice is between the ships and itinerary.

To me the ships look pretty similar, can anyone offer a first hand comparison for me?

Also we have a few itinerary options;

Venice..dubrovnik..kotor..olympia..piraeus..split

Venice..kotor..corfu town..santorini..mykinos..dubrovnik

Venice..dubrovnik..kotor..santorini..olympia

OR

Venice..kotor..corfu town..piraeus..mykonos.kefalonia

Which itinerary would people choose?

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

There's so much to see in Venice and area - I don't think you'll regret spending an extra day or two there. Having said that, we just returned from a trans-Atlantic and spent 2 days pre-cruise at a lovely little hotel in Mestre; the Hotel Al Vivit. It's on a beautiful piazza that is lined with shops, restaurants, bars, etc., and is only a short walk to the train and bus terminal. The hotel was very reasonable (122 Euro/night); it was clean, comfortable and quiet, the breakfast (included) was very substantial, and Giuseppe at the front desk was so accommodating and informative.

We took the vaporetto to the island of Murano (famous for glass blowing), then to the island of Burano (you just have to see the beautiful colours of the buildings), and toured the Grand Canal. Then there's the Doge's Palace, St. Mark's Square, the Galleria dell Academia (an incredible museum with Da Vinci paintings, etc), the gondolas, and I could go on. Google attractions for Venice and you'll see tons of things to see and do with your 2 boys.

I don't know what your sons are like, but I think maybe the first itinerary would hold the greatest interest for them - Dubrovnik is a great picturesque city where you can walk the walls for a few hours, then go to the beach; Olympia is the home of the Olympics - a great place to tour and realize where they started (great photo ops); Piraeus (Athens) has tons of things to see and do. We haven't been to Kotor or Split, so I can't comment on those. Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and come home with some amazing memories.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I would spend at least two full days in Venice before the start of your cruise.

Lots to see.

As mentioned you can get suggestions on Hotels the Italy Board.

We also used Trip Advisor for our research.

Things are pricey in Venice though so I thought you would want to know that.

Keith

In addition to Venice itself, you can take the vaporetti to Murano and Burano for a delightful day trip. I would suggest 2 days minimum...remember you’ll have a little jet lag to deal with. As far as the cruise itinerary goes, Dubrovnik is a “don’t miss” IMHO.

In addition to Venice itself, you can take the vaporetti to Murano and Burano for a delightful day trip. I would suggest 2 days minimum...remember you’ll have a little jet lag to deal with. As far as the cruise itinerary goes, Dubrovnik is a “don’t miss” IMHO.
Thanks although jet lag not an issue as we're from uk

Venice is a beautiful and very photogenic city and I am sure you will enjoy whatever time you spend there. Just be ready for very large crowds! For us, Santorini and Mykonos are two that we would very much love to go back to! Loved them both. I hope you get your choice made and have a great cruise!

Just for grins, somehow, after spending 2 years in your wonderful country, I had a suspicion you were from the UK. :D

There's so much to see in Venice and area - I don't think you'll regret spending an extra day or two there. Having said that, we just returned from a trans-Atlantic and spent 2 days pre-cruise at a lovely little hotel in Mestre; the Hotel Al Vivit. It's on a beautiful piazza that is lined with shops, restaurants, bars, etc., and is only a short walk to the train and bus terminal. The hotel was very reasonable (122 Euro/night); it was clean, comfortable and quiet, the breakfast (included) was very substantial, and Giuseppe at the front desk was so accommodating and informative.

We took the vaporetto to the island of Murano (famous for glass blowing), then to the island of Burano (you just have to see the beautiful colours of the buildings), and toured the Grand Canal. Then there's the Doge's Palace, St. Mark's Square, the Galleria dell Academia (an incredible museum with Da Vinci paintings, etc), the gondolas, and I could go on. Google attractions for Venice and you'll see tons of things to see and do with your 2 boys....

Excellent suggestions. The island of Burano is also known for its lace and even has a small lace museum.

One addition is to continue on the Vaporetto to the island of Torcello which will give you an idea of a Venetian island before development.

Just looked at the itineraries in more detail

One option only gives us 6 hrs in Dubrovnik compared to 8hrs with the others

Is 6hrs enough?

Also one option gives us 10hrs in kotor..is this too long?

Finally some of the options are docked in Dubrovnik/ kotor in the morning til lunch others are lunch til mid evening..would people choose morning's or afternoon/evening to tour these places

We were just in Venice in June with our 15 year old daughter. This was my third visit and third time staying at the Best Western Olimpia -love it!!!

Just an idea since you have 2 teen boys - my daughter and husband did stand up paddle boarding -it was something she stills talks about! The company we used was SUP Venice. They were fantastic. A very unique experience for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent suggestions. The island of Burano is also known for its lace and even has a small lace museum.

One addition is to continue on the Vaporetto to the island of Torcello which will give you an idea of a Venetian island before development.

Way to go! Take teenage boys to the lace museum!!!:')

• 4 months later...

Maybe you already had to choose but my two cents worth is to go for more time in Dubrovnik even if it means less in Kotor. There is more to see & do in Dubrovnik. We spent several days there last year, and did Kotor just as a day trip.