Buenos Aires port - are there shuttles into town?

Camelia-

Hi there,

We will be on a Princess cruise later this month. I was wondering about getting out of the port and into town. Of course I assume that there will be taxis but I have read that there are shuttles which bring you into the shopping districts as well. Does anyone know of these? I'm not sure if they are sent by the stores or if they are arranged by the cruiseline for a fee? It would be great to know ahead of time!

Thanks very much

Camelia

Hi there,

We will be on a Princess cruise later this month. Of course I assume that there will be taxis but I have read that there are shuttles which bring you into the shopping districts as well. Does anyone know of these? I'm not sure if they are sent by the stores or if they are arranged by the cruiseline for a fee? It would be great to know ahead of time!

Thanks very much

Camelia

Have you checked your Cruise Planner on the Princess site? Our Princess cruise offered a shuttle to town at the end of the cruise. The cost for two of us, plus a taxi from downtown to our hotel was more than simply taking a taxi directly from the port would have been, so we didn't use this option. If you opt for a taxi, walk a block or so from the cruise terminal and take one from the street to avoid both the lines at the terminal and the price gouging.

One of the large malls and a downtown jewelry store sometimes offer a shuttle for those in port for the day. I don't know if this is for every cruise though. Have you asked this question on the Roll Call for your cruise, or checked Roll Calls or Reviews for completed cruises on Princess this season?

Edited by dr__dawggy

Hi there,

We will be on a Princess cruise later this month. I was wondering about getting out of the port and into town. Of course I assume that there will be taxis but I have read that there are shuttles which bring you into the shopping districts as well. Does anyone know of these? I'm not sure if they are sent by the stores or if they are arranged by the cruiseline for a fee? It would be great to know ahead of time!

Thanks very much

Camelia

Since this is a working port, for safety's sake, the authorities don't allow anyone to walk or loiter around. Take a taxi to town.

We were on a B2B2B series which started in BA last February. Not only did the first leg begin in BA it also returned to BA, and the second leg started with an overnight in BA.

The BA cruise terminable is indeed in an industrial port and passengers are not allowed to walk from the cruise terminal to their ship. There are shuttles from cruise terminal to ship.

But I interpreted the OP's question to be whether there is a shuttle from the cruise terminal to BA shopping areas. There wasn't such a shuttle service from the terminal to downtown areas, operated by either the cruise line or a BA business, when we were there. But taxis are so cheap it wasn't an issue.

We were on a B2B2B series which started in BA last February. Not only did the first leg begin in BA it also returned to BA, and the second leg started with an overnight in BA.

The BA cruise terminable is indeed in an industrial port and passengers are not allowed to walk from the cruise terminal to their ship. There are shuttles from cruise terminal to ship.

But I interpreted the OP's question to be whether there is a shuttle from the cruise terminal to BA shopping areas. There wasn't such a shuttle service from the terminal to downtown areas, operated by either the cruise line or a BA business, when we were there. But taxis are so cheap it wasn't an issue.

That's my impression as well, and my response above is based on this premise. The ship-to-terminal shuttle is mandatory and included in your cruise fare.

I agree, too, that taxis are cheap, particularly if you avoid the "taxi mafia" in the taxi line and walk across the street to catch a cab from the street. With the former you will receive an inflated, flat rate quote...with the latter you are on a meter and the total will be about a quarter of the flat rate.

Since this is a working port, for safety's sake, the authorities don't allow anyone to walk or loiter around. Take a taxi to town.

We were there a month ago, Star Princess staying overnight from Rio. Shuttle buses take cruisers to the "terminal del cruzero" a five minute ride. There are souvenir stores inside the terminal, even Wi-Fi. The shopping/business area is located at Florida Street. Taxi is about US$8.00 15-min ride depending on the traffic. Or with a tourist map a leisure walk takes about 35 minute, passing a parque, the pink palace (Eva Peron's), an obelisk monument, etc. At Florida, US$ can be converted to local currency using the Cambio people or a bank. One can get a better rate for 50s/100s. There is a McDonald if you get hungry. From there, take a taxi to go to La Recoleta (cemetery) and see the Duarte's (Eva's) famous tourist site. If you still have time to spare, take a taxi to La Boca, El Caminito, another tourist place. On your way back, tell taxi driver to take you to "terminal del cruzero" There you go a tour for <US$50 for two. BE SAFE AND ENJOY.

We were there a month ago, Star Princess staying overnight from Rio. Shuttle buses take cruisers to the "terminal del cruzero" a five minute ride. There are souvenir stores inside the terminal, even Wi-Fi. The shopping/business area is located at Florida Street. Taxi is about US$8.00 15-min ride depending on the traffic. Or with a tourist map a leisure walk takes about 35 minute, passing a parque, the pink palace (Eva Peron's), an obelisk monument, etc. At Florida, US$ can be converted to local currency using the Cambio people or a bank. One can get a better rate for 50s/100s. There is a McDonald if you get hungry. From there, take a taxi to go to La Recoleta (cemetery) and see the Duarte's (Eva's) famous tourist site. If you still have time to spare, take a taxi to La Boca, El Caminito, another tourist place. On your way back, tell taxi driver to take you to "terminal del cruzero" There you go a tour for <US$50 for two. BE SAFE AND ENJOY.

Lots of mis-info or poor info here.

There may not be free shuttle buses to or from the cruise terminal. There were no such shuttles the last couple of times I arrived at the BA terminal. The business/shopping district is not limited to, or even centered on, calle Florida. The bloom has been off that rose for some time now - it is full of shops selling low quality goods to tourists who think it still is what it was 30 years ago (Galleria Pacifico being an exception). Things change and that includes the wisdom of changing money on the street. It is no longer necessary and only adds an unnecessary element of risk to obtaining local currency.

The term "Recoleta" is commonly considered to refer to the entire barrio, not just the cemetery. Eating at a McDonalds in BA is to waste a meal. Try an empanada or choripan if nothing else. The pink palace aka Casa Rosada (Presidential executive office) is not "Eva Peron's." It was built around 1879 and has been used by all presidents (and not wives thereof) since.

You wouldn't normally walk past the landmark obelisk at the corner of Av 9 de Julio and Av Corrientes walking from the cruise terminal to Calle Florida. More likely to walk via Av Cordoba as Corrientes would be an indirect way to get to Florida, but in any case, there are lots better ways to spend time and see more interesting things than to stroll on Florida.

Be careful with the taxis at the port.

Be sure they are radio taxis and not any other kind.

Keith

Yes, taxis at the port tend to overcharge. Try walking across the street or up the block and hailing one not in the taxi line.

Radio taxis have an element of safety only when one is called by telephone since a record of the responding cab is made by the central dispatch service. When a radio cab is hailed on the street this element of safety is nullified so they are no safer than any other cab.

I suggest hailing cabs that look clean whether radio or not. I also suggest passing up any cab or cab driver that emits any negative vibe for any or no reason after it has been hailed. Unkempt drivers, unclean interiors, smoke or an initial bad vibe of any kind suggests passing it up and waiting for another. Cabs in BA are numerous, cheap and, by a great majority, safe.

Edited by pmacher61

Lots of mis-info or poor info here.

There may not be free shuttle buses to or from the cruise terminal. There were no such shuttles the last couple of times I arrived at the BA terminal. The business/shopping district is not limited to, or even centered on, calle Florida. The bloom has been off that rose for some time now - it is full of shops selling low quality goods to tourists who think it still is what it was 30 years ago (Galleria Pacifico being an exception). Things change and that includes the wisdom of changing money on the street. It is no longer necessary and only adds an unnecessary element of risk to obtaining local currency.

The term "Recoleta" is commonly considered to refer to the entire barrio, not just the cemetery. Eating at a McDonalds in BA is to waste a meal. Try an empanada or choripan if nothing else. The pink palace aka Casa Rosada (Presidential executive office) is not "Eva Peron's." It was built around 1879 and has been used by all presidents (and not wives thereof) since.

You wouldn't normally walk past the landmark obelisk at the corner of Av 9 de Julio and Av Corrientes walking from the cruise terminal to Calle Florida. More likely to walk via Av Cordoba as Corrientes would be an indirect way to get to Florida, but in any case, there are lots better ways to spend time and see more interesting things than to stroll on Florida.

thank you all for your feedback. Indeed I guess my question about the shuttles originated because of all the info I'd read about the taxi situation at the port. We will be staying in the Recoleta district and I do look forward to trying an empanada or two! Can you recommend any place in the area? We will be close to Pull Bullrich and I've heard that there are restaurants inside but I would appreciate any recommendation within walking distance for a nice meal and shopping (I've heard that prices are pretty high in that mall.

Thanks again..

thank you all for your feedback. Indeed I guess my question about the shuttles originated because of all the info I'd read about the taxi situation at the port. We will be staying in the Recoleta district and I do look forward to trying an empanada or two! Can you recommend any place in the area? We will be close to Pull Bullrich and I've heard that there are restaurants inside but I would appreciate any recommendation within walking distance for a nice meal and shopping (I've heard that prices are pretty high in that mall.

Thanks again..

For empanadas and other simple Argentine specialities many tout San Juanino on Posadas near Patio Bullrich. There's also Fervor and Mirasol de la Recova for moe sophisticated dining. I like Marcelo in the hotel Intersur a short cab (5 min) away.

For empanadas and other simple Argentine specialities many tout San Juanino on Posadas near Patio Bullrich. There's also Fervor and Mirasol de la Recova for moe sophisticated dining. I like Marcelo in the hotel Intersur a short cab (5 min) away.

For shopping , you need to stroll the neighborhood near your Recoleta hotel although the shopping malls are ok. Besides P Bullrich, there is Galleria Pacifico (Jorge Borges Cultural Center alone a reason to go) and Palermo Shopping. Av Santa Fe is a big commercial street filled with shops big and small, but the side streets in Recoleta are where you will find finest quality goods. Ask at your hotel. Remember that most merchants give a discount for cash and will give the best rate of exchange for USD.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks; appreciate the info, and your taking the time!