First thoughts on our trip on the Queen Elizabeth

babs135

Seems highly unlikely that the ship, rather than the itinerary or the nationality/age of the passengers, is the major factor in determining dress standards.

Indeed: the public areas seemed pretty respectable after 18.00 on the 12 nighter ex Southampton in the middle of December. Fully compliant in QG as far as I could tell from the end of the restaurant.

I suspect the passenger mix had a lot to do with the dress code.

On my Christmas/New Year QE cruise, I was blown away with how much everyone dressed up. Having said that it was a Southampton round-trip about 1300+ UK passengers, 180 US and 74 Canadians. Many others were Europeans (Germany, Spain, etc).

Given QE is now going around North American, has the percentage of North American passengers versus Europeans flipped. Suspect this was cause a change to dress code adherence.

Well you do surprise me babs135, this is not what I'm hearing. I've dozens of friends onboard QE at the moment, several who are taking the full world trip. They've all reported back that everything (so far) is tip top, and that includes the adherence to evening dress codes.

Common sense should prevail, and it's not really an issue if you are referring to other areas ( after 6pm ) 'outside of the public venues'.

Well you do surprise me babs135, this is not what I'm hearing. I've dozens of friends onboard QE at the moment, several who are taking the full world trip. They've all reported back that everything (so far) is tip top, and that includes the adherence to evening dress codes.

Common sense should prevail, and it's not really an issue if you are referring to other areas ( after 6pm ) 'outside of the public venues'.

Shorts in the midshipmen bar and also Commodore Club after 7.30 Sadly some women in clearly every day clothing. Plain jumpers in the dining room. Men in jeans late evening. I have expressed my disappointment on the feedback form

Not stopping our enjoyment though :D

How is your room?

Deck 7 aft. Inside. Not huge and could do with a bit more wardrobe space but we are managing. Air conditioning is up and down and lots of people have been ill, almost certainly because of the A/c some parts of the ship are actually quite cold and others stuffy

We disembark on Monday:( Will miss some really good people.

She is not the Queen Mary 2. Standard of dress is disappointing. If you are on Cunard you should be prepared to make some effort to follow the dress code.

Having a great time and will do a review when we return.

I think Cunard could do a bit more to inform passengers about the dress code, when sending out info about the tours, luggage labels etc, why not put a letter reminding passengers what the dress code is?;p

Very interesting observations.

We embark tomorrow to take the trip back to Southampton.

From what I was told the number of UK passengers is far greater than those of the USA.

Many people in the USA do not even know anything about Cunard.

Cunard has done a poor job in informing us of many things. We have just learned about a visa requirement for Sri Lanka. We only found out about it on our roll call. I still have not had notification, nor have others I have spoken with.

Today we met people at the port who are still waiting for stateroom assignments.

When we arrived in San Francisco there was a Cunard agent ready to make arrangements for private transport to the hotel. Problem was we had never been notified of that and had already prepaid for a limousine.

I blame that on the marketing here. (in the USA) I know that there are some passengers, also boarding tomorrow, for whom the Cunard dress code is a shock.

We have spent a fair amount of time on Cunard over the past four years so we know what to expect.

She looks majestic in her berth in San Francisco today.

Babs, have a wonderful time in San Francisco and a safe trip home.

Deck 7 aft. Inside. Not huge and could do with a bit more wardrobe space but we are managing. Air conditioning is up and down and lots of people have been ill, almost certainly because of the A/c some parts of the ship are actually quite cold and others stuffy

We disembark on Monday:( Will miss some really good people.

I disagree re: the air con being the cause of spread of respiratory infection. We've been on since Ft Lauderdale, and certainly many people who should have remained in their cabins until they recovered, are out in public areas coughing into their hands instead of their arms ( if they cover their mouth at all), sneezing, etc. This is what spreads the "Cunard Crud."

As far as compliance with the dress code, I have seen very few people who are in violation—one man in jeans in the theatre, and a few people who were less elegantly dressed, but I’d guess at least 95% of those I’ve seen take formal dress seriously.

We are enjoying the elegance of the ship and the graciousness of Captain Hashmi.

Ricki

#11 banavan,~~~~ in regards to your comment/experience with the requirement for the Sri Lanka visa...... I too was in

the ' dark' as my TA had not said a word about it. My travel buddy was informed by CUNARD, as she kept her reservation with CUNARD, and they at least kept her informed. We board in Hong Kong on 3/31 for the last 1/2 of the W/C.

On a positive note~~~ the S/L visa is easy to get, on line, + is free.

I don’t care about Cunard standards I’m there to have fun and I dared someone to look at me or remove me from a venue for being underdressed. Regarding the people being sick that concerns me because some people don’t care about spreading illnesses stay in your cabin if you are sick ! This is going to be for sure my last cruise with Cunard for what I’ve bern hearing it’s not worth all the money spend . I’ve read lots of bad reviews . I’ll stick with RCCL.

Edited by Ivy86

I don’t care about Cunard standards I’m there to have fun and I dared someone to look at me or remove me from a venue for being underdressed. Regarding the people being sick that concerns me because some people don’t care about spreading illnesses stay in your cabin if you are sick ! This is going to be for sure my last cruise with Cunard for what I’ve bern hearing it’s not worth all the money spend . I’ve read lots of bad reviews . I’ll stick with RCCL.

enjoy, no one ever gets sick on RCCL

enjoy, no one ever gets sick on RCCL

I’ve been on more than 27 RCCL cruises and never been sick while cruising and now my first cruise on this line and already fear of getting sick while on it . This posting about people sick onboard with respiratory illnesses it’s concerning!! I hope the staff do a good job cleaning that ship to prevent more spreading. I definitely do not want to be on a long cruise and sick . To me it looks like Poor sanitation from the cruise line .

I’ve been on more than 27 RCCL cruises and never been sick while cruising and now my first cruise on this line and already fear of getting sick while on it . This posting about people sick onboard with respiratory illnesses it’s concerning!! I hope the staff do a good job cleaning that ship to prevent more spreading. I definitely do not want to be on a long cruise and sick . To me it looks like Poor sanitation from the cruise line .

Im sure you're fears will be allayed once you're onboard.

the air-conditioning does NOT spread colds, people do, if you happen to be up in

the early hours of the morning you would see the type of sanitation and cleaning

on Cunard ships that goes on. Id rather put my health in Cunard than most other lines.

You'll have a great trip.

regards Roscoe

Women generally have much more leeway in regard to dress code and I have seen some shockers over the years. Flip flops for formal nights!! It’s worth remembering though that aboard ship a sort of dictatorship exists and it is possible if any passenger refuses to comply with the dress code, in theory they could be removed by security, though I have never seen this happen thankfully.

David.

We just cruised on another line and did not see nearly half of the cleaning we see on Cunard. We can not wait to get back to “the Queens” and will triple think about cruising on another line again.

Let me ask you truthfully... would YOU stay strictly on your cabin if you had a cough?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just cruised on another line and did not see nearly half of the cleaning we see on Cunard. We can not wait to get back to “the Queens” and will triple think about cruising on another line again.

Let me ask you truthfully... would YOU stay strictly on your cabin if you had a cough?

I would not stay in my cabin with just a cough as I find the aircon sometimes dries out my airways and results in a persistent need to cough. However I seem to be one of a very small minority of people who can afford to buy TISSUES which I carry all the time and not just when I have, cold etc .

I always do my utmost to cough or sneeze into a tissue even if just walking around in a public place as I believe its only good manners to NOT cough or sneeze all over other people.

I am sometimes tempted to put some extra ones in my pockets to hand out to those irritating people who think its ok to cough and sneeze all over other people and I find it disgusting that people can use napkins or even the table cloth in restaurants to wipe or blow their noses.

Tissues cost very little and if disposed of correctly can ensure germs are not being spread everywhere.

There used to be notices on public transport when I was a child that said "coughs and sneezes spread diseases" so I do MY best not to spread mine.:halo:.

Many passengers get the cruise ship cough which is probably caused by the air con. Doesn’t mean they have an infection. It’s the cold and flu sufferers wandering the ship we should be concerned about.

DAVID

It’s worth remembering though that aboard ship a sort of dictatorship exists and it is possible if any passenger refuses to comply with the dress code, in theory they could be removed by security, though I have never seen this happen thankfully.

David.

Strange? It is noted Cunard Security (or Cunard staff) seem to be quite active on every Cunard cruise when we, or our friends, are onboard.

If any Cunard staff are abused, the guilty are disembarked.

Women generally have much more leeway in regard to dress code and I have seen some shockers over the years. Flip flops for formal nights!! It’s worth remembering though that aboard ship a sort of dictatorship exists and it is possible if any passenger refuses to comply with the dress code, in theory they could be removed by security, though I have never seen this happen thankfully.

And you will never see it happen because the cruise line wants to make money amd by doing that they will loose Customers and they don’t want that.

In other note wow flips flops on a formal it’s too much. :o

Yes, I would just by coughing you spread thousand of germs . I’m a medical assistant and the first thing we do it’s wear gloves when dealing with people with upper respiratory infections that is contagious! 😩