NCL - Jade Transatlantic vs Epic Transatlantic - Jade double the price

nclsuncruiser

It's primarily the ports, but the Epic is also routinely lower than other ships in the line because, despite the number of people who post on here about how much they love the ship, NCL apparently has some difficulty filling her. Go figure.

It's primarily the ports, but the Epic is also routinely lower than other ships in the line because, despite the number of people who post on here about how much they love the ship, NCL apparently has some difficulty filling her. Go figure.

They had no problem on the TA we just finished. She was sold out. Next April’s TA is already sold out for Haven. The solo cabins are a huge hit on Epic, as is the Haven. Epic’s Haven is the best we’ve sailed in.

Hi all, just curious as to why the Jade 13 night TA on 29th September is, from the few sites I've looked at, about double the cost of the 13 night Epic TA in November. Is it the ports that are visited? Just curious :):):D:)

I too agree the price is high considering we paid on the Jade $370 less per person in 2016 out of Barcelona to Tampa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was curious about the two itineraries so I just took a look. The Epic's is pretty lame (to me, anyway). The Jade's is pretty terrific. And not just more interesting ports (to me), but more of them, including that overnight in Reykjavik. I think that comparing these two TAs is comparing apples and oranges.

I was curious about the two itineraries so I just took a look. The Epic's is pretty lame (to me, anyway). The Jade's is pretty terrific. And not just more interesting ports (to me), but more of them, including that overnight in Reykjavik. I think that comparing these two TAs is comparing apples and oranges.

Absolutely agree with you Turtles. It still seems like a huge premium to double the cost though.

Absolutely agree with you Turtles. It still seems like a huge premium to double the cost though.

What's your basis for saying the Jade is double the cost? What's the date on which you are comparing costs? If not on the date of first release for sale, again it's not necessarily a fair comparison. Once a cruise starts selling well, or not, the cruise line is going to change the prices, up or down. If you are looking at prices now, this close to the sailing, it's not really a great comparison.

Also, these are two very different classes of ships. I love the Jewel class ships, for example, but have very little desire to sail on the Epic regardless of the itinerary, and this lame itinerary would not likely get me on board.

Finally, the Jade's itinerary (the ports) I think is more expensive for NCL. My wife and I are taking a north Atlantic TA in August (on HAL: Copenhagen/Norway/Iceland/Greenland/St. John's/Halifax/NY) and it's far more expensive than any of the TAs we've taken along the more "traditional" routes to/from Florida and ports in the Med or southern England.

Hi Turtles06. I saw the difference in cost just recently as was toying with the idea of doing a transatlantic (but not for port purposes, just for the ship). So I guess that the Epic represents good value for those not concerned about where they stop off.

They had no problem on the TA we just finished. She was sold out. Next April’s TA is already sold out for Haven. The solo cabins are a huge hit on Epic, as is the Haven. Epic’s Haven is the best we’ve sailed in.

The Haven may be the best....BUT.....what about the rest of that awful ship??? It was definitely at the 'bottom' of our list of the all time worst ships!! Can't imagine being on that ship for endless sea days, we were happy to get off after 7 days and many port stops!! Uggghhh...to each their own I guess!

The Epic. this sailing had, an atypical additional market with Horizon cruises who don't/won't fly. For the past 5 years, every TA sailing on the Epic has had some late oversupply (I picked up several) and actually picked up a cabin the day prior to sailing. There also were a few other people who picked up cabins in the weeks prior. So it didn't stay "sold out".

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, just curious as to why the Jade 13 night TA on 29th September is, from the few sites I've looked at, about double the cost of the 13 night Epic TA in November. Is it the ports that are visited? Just curious :):):D:)

To me the first thing that jumps out is the date. Would you rather visit these northern destinations in September or November? If I had a choice between the two, I'd pick September. :)

Maybe that's a factor in any price difference.

The Epic. this sailing had, an atypical additional market with Horizon cruises who don't/won't fly. For the past 5 years, every TA sailing on the Epic has had some late oversupply (I picked up several) and actually picked up a cabin the day prior to sailing. There also were a few other people who picked up cabins in the weeks prior. So it didn't stay "sold out".

Budget Queen, would you please elaborate on Horizon cruises?

In my opinion, it's the ports. Iceland is a hot destination at this time of year as the Northern Lights are becoming visible. New England cruises this time of year are expensive because of the changing colors and this cruise has several New England stops . Furthermore, think it's selling well so that's why they are not dropping the price. A cruise across the Atlantic this time of year can be rough so getting that middle of the ship cabin is a priority.