QG alcohol. Do you take it home.

thames_side

I generally have a bottle of whisky and a bottle of gin in the suite. If there is a significant amount left I pack it up and take it home in my hand luggage.

Just wondered if everybody does or do some leave it for the staff to enjoy?

I generally have a bottle of whisky and a bottle of gin in the suite. If there is a significant amount left I pack it up and take it home in my hand luggage.

Just wondered if everybody does or do some leave it for the staff to enjoy?

Leave it all for your Steward. If they do not drink, it is a negotiable product.

Well, I do tend to take home the paint stripper we commoners get. But do tell me, do you do a lot of paintwork around your house or do you actually get decent whisky in QG? ;p

Otherwise I'd assume that the crew is not allowed to drink hard liquor on board.

Famous Grouse suits me fine and the Gordons gin is export strength 47.5% proof which cheers me up no end when I get home.

Famous Grouse suits me fine and the Gordons gin is export strength 47.5% proof which cheers me up no end when I get home.

We had the 'free' drinks package, and bought a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and Baileys home unopened. Your post caused to check our bottle of gin, its 47% against our currently open bottle at 40%. I see some hazy afternoons on our summerhouse veranda this summer!

Well, I do tend to take home the paint stripper we commoners get. But do tell me, do you do a lot of paintwork around your house or do you actually get decent whisky in QG? ;p

Otherwise I'd assume that the crew is not allowed to drink hard liquor on board.

If you ask nicely you pretty well get what you want.

If you ask nicely you pretty well get what you want.

We always get Grey Goose and Bombay.

last November, we timed it so we just about finished the two bottles during our 12 day trip. However, with only 2 days left, our butler replaced both without us asking.

It seemed a shame to leave them, so we brought them home.

Stewart

On one of my cruises in QG cabin, I left the extra gin and rum and discussed it with the Butler. She said that they would probably use it for cooking. Which was code for a room party in the Crew quarters per the Butler. So I kind of felt we gave them something extra at the end. They were both top shelf liquor. :)

On one of my cruises in QG cabin, I left the extra gin and rum and discussed it with the Butler. She said that they would probably use it for cooking. Which was code for a room party in the Crew quarters per the Butler. So I kind of felt we gave them something extra at the end. They were both top shelf liquor. :)

The crew have a daily limit of two standard drinks when off duty, so it wouldn't be much of a party. Having too much to drink is instant dismissal, and put ashore at any port.

As it's duty free, neither could they take more than one bottle ashore (in most countries), so it's probably pointless leaving it for the crew.

We had the 'free' drinks package, and bought a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and Baileys home unopened. Your post caused to check our bottle of gin, its 47% against our currently open bottle at 40%. I see some hazy afternoons on our summerhouse veranda this summer!

I may be wrong but I think that American proof spirit is a lower value than British so 47% American may be 40% British

I may be wrong but I think that American proof spirit is a lower value than British so 47% American may be 40% British

Degrees proof may differ, but a percentage is a percentage, so if it states 47% then that's exactly what it is.

In the UK, 175 degrees proof = 100% (people my recall seeing 70 degrees on bottles of UK spirits, which is 100/175 * 70 = 40%)

In the US, 200 degrees proof = 200%.

So, yes, whilst proof values are indeed different, as BigMac says, percentage is percentage.

We bought our unfinished whisky and vodka home with us from our cruise in October/November and dropped the vodka on the kitchen floor getting it out of the hand luggage perhaps thats judgement on us for bringing in it home.

My tipple is Johnny Walker Black, which I ask for with a smile and have gotten it all but one time ironically when I was in the Holyrood suite. A call to the hotel manager got that resolved. They also replenish it when empty, but two bottles usually lasts me for a crossing.