River cruising for solo female

skleeb

Anybody have an idea about the best river cruise lines for solos? I am venturing out next month on Viking for a 7 day Danube cruise. This was totally on a whim-I called for one simple question and the agent told me about a single stateroom that had just opened up and threw in free air to Budapest since it was last minute. So I took it! But I m not sure if Viking is the best for solos. Any thoughts?

Anybody have an idea about the best river cruise lines for solos? I am venturing out next month on Viking for a 7 day Danube cruise. This was totally on a whim-I called for one simple question and the agent told me about a single stateroom that had just opened up and threw in free air to Budapest since it was last minute. So I took it! But I m not sure if Viking is the best for solos. Any thoughts?

My question to you is what you think "the best for solos" means? Do you mean best value? Lowest price? Different on-board treatment?

My question to you is what you think "the best for solos" means? Do you mean best value? Lowest price? Different on-board treatment?

Good question. I guess I mean which ones have more than a few solo cabins. Viking has a total of 12 rooms on just 2 ships out of their whole fleet. And the 2 they have go on the same journey East/West, West/East, so that is not that accommodating. I cannot afford to pay double the fare, so I am looking for best value, also. It's kind of funny-I haven't even gone yet to see if I like it and I am already planning my next one! I would love a single cabin and free air fare every time, I suspect.

Not sure of your question.

I am solo and mix with others, not just - singles. Travel is expensive, and if I am lucky (usually not) I can get a bit of a discount. Single cabins for solos most times are inside - I need at least a window or I have panic attacks, so I never book them. most discounts are 2 years out or very last minute. I go for the last minute - cannot get my life together 2 years out...

If the question is about solo pricing etc - Uniworld is one that has no solo supplement.

I've done 2 solo river cruises on Uniworld and have a third booked with them for this fall. You can't make a blanket statement that there's no single supplement on Uniworld - depends on ship and itinerary. There was no single supplement on my first one, and I got a reduced fare on the 2nd one and the 3rd one coming up. There are no single cabins, per se.

To the OP, I think that river cruising in general is conducive to solo travelers. The small ships and low number of passengers make it easy to meet others if you're so inclined.

Roz

I've done 2 solo river cruises on Uniworld and have a third booked with them for this fall. You can't make a blanket statement that there's no single supplement on Uniworld - depends on ship and itinerary. There was no single supplement on my first one, and I got a reduced fare on the 2nd one and the 3rd one coming up. There are no single cabins, per se.

To the OP, I think that river cruising in general is conducive to solo travelers. The small ships and low number of passengers make it easy to meet others if you're so inclined.

Roz

I understand, everyone. I was just thinking that if I toured with Viking again, doing the single room, my journey would be the same. Looks like I will have to check out other lines or pay double if I wanted some variety. I am looking forward to hanging out with a lot of different folks and soaking it all in. Come on, May!

Hi, I always sail solo and took my first River Cruise with AMA Waterways in 2016. They have some cabins on all their boats that have no single supplements. They are window cabins and I had plenty of room. I had a wonderful time and would recommend them:)

When someone asks what is the best line? To me, there is not one answer......depends on the person, what they are looking for and what the cruise line offers. I agree with Roz, it is very easy to meet people (the riverboats are small)and the amount of people makes it very conducive to chatting with other folks. I felt very welcomed and totally enjoyed myself:)

I've done 2 solo river cruises on Uniworld and have a third booked with them for this fall. You can't make a blanket statement that there's no single supplement on Uniworld

Uniworld in Aus specifically advertises as having no solo supplement. I was simply throwing a company name into the mix. It's up to the OP to then do their own research and comparisons depending on where they are from.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I did Uniworld for a Christmas Market river tour in 2010. Lovely trip. Mostly singles of all ages since they waived the single supplement. Obviously, this is a few years ago, so I don't know their policies now. I am looking at taking a Holland America cruise this summer. No breaks there. High single supplement. Will have to give this one careful consideration before I pull out my credit card.

• 2 weeks later...

I did an AMA Waterways 7 day solo last year with a waived single supplement, and have booked a longer Vantage cruise for next summer (2019) with no single supplement. I have not done Viking, as I have never found a no-single-supplement fare with them. I would also consider Gate 1 as they often have river cruises with single fares. There are many more river cruise lines than ocean cruise lines with low or no single supplement. I had a great time on AMA Waterways, and many other people on the cruise who had been on Viking said it was just as good if not better. I had a cabin with a window but no balcony, which was fine for me.

Viking pays a lot for advertising, and that is reflected in their higher prices and lack of solo fares.

Viking pays a lot for advertising, and that is reflected in their higher prices and lack of solo fares.

You got that right. My recycling bin is full of their brochures. :D Why would I want to sail on a line that's going to charge me double when I can sail Uniworld, AMA, Vantage, etc. for less and in some cases have a more inclusive experience?

Roz

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Christmas Markets of Europe cruise with Uniworld several years ago. It was lovely in that they totally waved the single supplement. I met lot of wonderful people from all over the world - singles and couples. It was fun to have lots of other single folks to pal around with !

• 4 weeks later...
I did a Christmas Markets of Europe cruise with Uniworld several years ago. It was lovely in that they totally waved the single supplement. I met lot of wonderful people from all over the world - singles and couples. It was fun to have lots of other single folks to pal around with !

Good to know as I am considering the Christmas markets for 2019. :)