Seasickness on Carnival Legend to Alaska?

sabhoy

Will this be of concern? I usually carry patches, etc with me, but only have used them during a cruise with two hurricanes.

When we sailed Legend to Alaska in July 2015, the seas were so calm every day. They water literally looked like a mirror. I had never seen anything like it in my previous 20 cruises. It was eerie and beautiful at the same time.

The vast majority of time you are in the inside passage with land on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

this is inaccurate, with Carnival sailing out of Seattle, you have 2 days of open ocean, where I have seen people "sick". Round trip Seattle cruises are the least scenic and have the most open ocean.

There is NO way to predict, I certainly have encountered numerous sailing with "rougher" seas. It's a myth and wishful thinking to claim they are always calm.

this is inaccurate, with Carnival sailing out of Seattle, you have 2 days of open ocean, where I have seen people "sick". Round trip Seattle cruises are the least scenic and have the most open ocean.

There is NO way to predict, I certainly have encountered numerous sailing with "rougher" seas. It's a myth and wishful thinking to claim they are always calm.

There must be a full moon. Most of the trip is inside passage, one day + is “open seas”. Did I post anything about the scenic eating of a Seattle cruise? Lastly, did I infer it would always be calm, or was I claiming it was as always calm? Don’t think I quoted any myths either. Seems you are the incorrect one.

With your “numerous” Alaska cruises I forgot, nobody can give their experiences....... and sometimes I wonder what is wrong with cruisecritic.

My personal experience was I got very sick on my Alaskan cruise. My husband who has never had motion sickness of any kind got queasy in his words. We saw staff that were very sick. There is another post right now about what to take for motion sickness so you may want to check that out as well as the other bazillion posts on this topic - which I am ok with since I am very empathetic to the anxiety this causes.

I'd go back to Alaska in a heartbeat - it was one bad day of a 7-day cruise and memories that we recall almost daily in the last 16 years!

Similar to pp, last August was the sickest my wife has been. After sitting through a presentation in the theatre I was feeling a little green myself. And I thought hurricane Irene was awesome in 2011. Part of the issue I think is that the swells were hitting us from one direction and the wind was from a completely different direction. So instead of just going up and down it felt like were going up and down and round and round.

About 3 pm we got behind Haida Gwaii and things calmed right down. Interestingly on the way back to Seattle we had near perfect conditions.

Will this be of concern? I usually carry patches, etc with me, but only have used them during a cruise with two hurricanes.

Agree with most posts- I tend to get motion sick in backseat of a car just drivng to McDonalds! Depending on weather, found the night out of Seatle was roughest. I usually took a Bonine 3 hours before dinner as the dining area is so far after, felt most motion there, for precaution I took it most nights.

I am adding my two cents- book the Carnival cruise excursion to the fjords, ours was the Tracy Arm, but sailed another fjord area due to too many calving risks for ship. It was an amazing scenery of glacier close up to glacier. It was pouring btw for 75% of our excurion but made for lots of calving of glacier. It is worth it.

We had very calm seas in the inside passage - not unlike sailing down the Mississippi...like another poster said...glassy and almost eerie. For us, this was one of the calmest cruises we have ever taken (RT from Seattle) - but again - it's weather so go prepared.

The vast majority of time you are in the inside passage with land on both sides.

I am not sure that this is completely true since they started going out of Seattle. There is a lot of time spent out on the ocean when heading north and returning and there tends to be more movement out there. We have noticed the difference, but fortunately it does no bother us.

I am not sure that this is completely true since they started going out of Seattle. There is a lot of time spent out on the ocean when heading north and returning and there tends to be more movement out there. We have noticed the difference, but fortunately it does no bother us.

Both of our sailings were one ways from Vancouver to Seward. That said, before I replied I checked the itineraries of the round trip Seattle sailings. Their is a day and a half (based upon what I could see of open water. The remainder sure looks the same to me as our inside passage portions. If true, and I do my math correctly, that sounds like the majority of the cruise time. To your point, I am sure that the open water portion of the journey will be less calm than the snide passage portion.

DH and I with BFF cruised from Seattle and disembarked in Vancouver. It was the last Legend cruise in September of 2016, I don't remember any thing about our "day at sea", I was in the theatre, watching movies of Alaska, listening to history, and listening to the naturalist-totally missed our meet and greet. My first memory was waking up the next day, going down one level- walking out on the deck, seeing a whale go by, and then looking across to land, and seeing a hanging glacier-every minute of every day was absolutely amazing, and filled with that first moment of WOW when I saw that whale. I too would go back in a heart beat, if I had the money and the urge to spend all that time in a plane again.