shanghai---pearls

deec

We were in Shanghai in 2001 and bought some beautiful pearls at very good prices.

Is that still possible in Shanghai and where would we get best quality and value.

We will have 2 days in Shanghai on our Viking Cruise.

I will be in Shanghai in December, and I hope to find some authentic pearls as well. Be sure to stay away from the large "fake" markets, such as AP Plaza, as I do not trust that they are selling real pearls. (The AP market is great for other goodies though!)

I did a bit of research and found this information, perhaps you may find it useful too:

https://www.chinahighlights.com/shanghai/article-pearl-shopping.htm

I admit I am not a pearl expert but I have been to the pearl markets a lot and lots of people seem happy with what they buy there. Personally I think if you get a great price they are likely a high quality fake. There is almost no duty on pearls and they are easily shipped so why would they cost 1/3 of the price of the US? Wouldn't American jewelry stores shop in the market if this was the case?

If it looks nice and you like the price I guess it doesn't really matter in the end does it?

I will be in Shanghai in December, and I hope to find some authentic pearls as well. Be sure to stay away from the large "fake" markets, such as AP Plaza, as I do not trust that they are selling real pearls. (The AP market is great for other goodies though!)

I did a bit of research and found this information, perhaps you may find it useful too:

https://www.chinahighlights.com/shanghai/article-pearl-shopping.htm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Easy to know real pearls as all you have to do it rub on your teeth. Real pearls are gritty because they are made up of calcium from the shell. Fake pearls will glide over teeth because they are synthetic.

I just returned from a week trip to Shanghai. Go to the underground market at the Science & Technology Museum...(easy to take the subway)...I went to "Pearl City" as I walked past the many counter's I came across an older gentleman buying a large amount of pearls at "Lily's" (near the back right corner)..he ended up being a jeweler from Philadelphia. This is where he said he comes twice a year to buy. So happy with my purchases he helped with choosing the pearls ...great color, luster and size. Any questions you may have I would be happy to answer.

Wow Ashland that is the place our friend from Canada who lived in Shanghai for many years took us.

I can picture exactly where Lily's booth was.

She knew I knew what I was talking about in what I was buying so I found no pressure and no scam.

Wow Ashland that is the place our friend from Canada who lived in Shanghai for many years took us.

I can picture exactly where Lily's booth was.

She knew I knew what I was talking about in what I was buying so I found no pressure and no scam.

Agree...even if the Philadelphia jeweler had not happened to be there making his purchases...I had also done my homework and new what I was looking for as far as quality, size, color & luster should be. We would have probably done just as well with Lily's help.

I just returned from a week trip to Shanghai. Go to the underground market at the Science & Technology Museum...(easy to take the subway)...I went to "Pearl City" as I walked past the many counter's I came across an older gentleman buying a large amount of pearls at "Lily's" (near the back right corner)..he ended up being a jeweler from Philadelphia. This is where he said he comes twice a year to buy. So happy with my purchases he helped with choosing the pearls ...great color, luster and size. Any questions you may have I would be happy to answer.

Thanks, having the name of the store helps a lot, as I seem to get so turned around in that market. :)

Thanks, having the name of the store helps a lot, as I seem to get so turned around in that market. :)

You shouldn't have any trouble finding Pearl City in the market...big blue sign..it sits in a corner area near the subway between the two shopping market areas. Once in Pearl City...Lily is easy to find..just head towards the back right...She also has a large sign above her counter. Best of luck.

• 1 month later...
You shouldn't have any trouble finding Pearl City in the market...big blue sign..it sits in a corner area near the subway between the two shopping market areas. Once in Pearl City...Lily is easy to find..just head towards the back right...She also has a large sign above her counter. Best of luck.

I am just back from a whirlwind of a week in Shanghai, and didn't get a chance to make it to the AP market. However I had a couple of hours to spare last Sunday before leaving for the airport, so I walked from my hotel over to the Yu Garden area. There are a few pearl stores there, one is also called Pearl City (maybe the same owners?). There was also a wholesale jewelry market in a much larger building. I went home pearl-less though ...

I am just back from a whirlwind of a week in Shanghai, and didn't get a chance to make it to the AP market. However I had a couple of hours to spare last Sunday before leaving for the airport, so I walked from my hotel over to the Yu Garden area. There are a few pearl stores there, one is also called Pearl City (maybe the same owners?). There was also a wholesale jewelry market in a much larger building. I went home pearl-less though ...

Hope you enjoyed Shanghai...so sorry you didn't make it to the market. One trip to Yu Garden during one of our trips to Shanghai was enough for me. Hopefully next time you'll come home pearl-ed :D

Just stating the obvious here but the Science and Technology subway market is the biggest market for fakes in Shanghai.

And your point is :confused:

The pearls I bought at Pearl City are the real deal...had a jeweler check them out when I got home....and it's doubtful the Philadelphia jeweler that was purchasing there (when I was there) would come all that way to buy fakes