Answering Questions on Asia

ronbetty2001

Capt. Ron,

This might be a rather mundane question but here goes. We're flying into Osaka and our cruise departs from Kobe. It's not very far away, but it looks as though we have a few options. 1) train - difficult with luggage. 2) high speed ferry to Kobe airport - the website's directions are a little confusing -- in reality is it? 3) taxi - pretty expensive for a rather short ride.

Do you have an opinion as to our best option?

Thank you for reading and considering my question. Much appreciated.

Capt. Ron,

This might be a rather mundane question but here goes. We're flying into Osaka and our cruise departs from Kobe. It's not very far away, but it looks as though we have a few options. 1) train - difficult with luggage. 2) high speed ferry to Kobe airport - the website's directions are a little confusing -- in reality is it? 3) taxi - pretty expensive for a rather short ride.

Do you have an opinion as to our best option?

Thank you for reading and considering my question. Much appreciated.

I am very sorry to say that I didn't go to Japan so I have no comment. Others on our ship did go to Japan and said the trains were very easy and comfortable. Being Japan you may want to look at the train web sites as luggage storage maybe easier then you think. In Europe the bullet trains had plenty of luggage storage with cameras etc. on that section. So very safe. I'm sure Japan would have the same. Check into it. As far as cost, Japan is a very advanced country and cost is high for that reason, similar to the USA.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

I am very sorry to say that I didn't go to Japan so I have no comment. Others on our ship did go to Japan and said the trains were very easy and comfortable. Being Japan you may want to look at the train web sites as luggage storage maybe easier then you think. In Europe the bullet trains had plenty of luggage storage with cameras etc. on that section. So very safe. I'm sure Japan would have the same. Check into it. As far as cost, Japan is a very advanced country and cost is high for that reason, similar to the USA.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Thank you for your reply. I will continue my research.

Best regards

There are ATMs at the ports of call in Thailand and Singapore. At the Siem Reap airport in Cambodia they also have ATMs.

In Singapore they will only take Singapore Dollars, easy to get.

In Cambodia they will take US Dollars every where, they're Dong dollars are not internationally traded and are hard to get in advance of your trip.

In Thailand they only will except Thai Dollars, easy to get from ATMs at port of entry.

Didn't go to Myranmar, Sri Lanka or India so no comment on those countries.

I always order money in advance of my travels from my US bank, don't need ATMs that much. In most countries there are plenty of ATMs and banks to get local currency from. Vietnam is a little different as the ports of call don't really have a building etc. to enter the country so ATMs are not as convenient to find. Vietnam does except US Dollars almost everywhere you'll go (except small out of the way, non-tourist places), so no problem.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Dong is the currency for Vietnam. Riel is the currency there but the US Dollar is the defacto currency for the country, even ATM's dispense USD.

You may end up with some Riel in small change as most change will be given back in USD unless it is say 50cents.

Make sure to get rid of any Riel before you depart, even the local's don't want it and it is only good for wallpapering your toilet when you get home.

Sorry for the late post, been busy at work.

None what so ever as far as boarding Hong Kong was very efficient about boarding/immigration.

All VISAs are handled by the ship and very easy. As I've said before, if you are going to be off the ship overnight there is another VISA required, the ship will handle that for you. There is an additional charge for an overnight VISA, we paid the Canadian rate of $29.00USD per person (we are American which is $149.00per person), please take an extra couple of passport pictures with you as they are required. The ship can provide those also if you don't have extra's with you. Remember the ship visits theese ports often and knows what you'll need and will handle everything for you, just let them know your plans in advance (when you're on board) and they'll handle everything for you. Any charges are added to your on board account.

Capt. Ron

Hi Capt. Ron,

How did you get charged and pay the Canadian rate for the overnight visa?

After the cruise we left early at 6:00am, easy immigration in Singapore, open 24/7. Flew SilkAir, one of the only direct flights from Singapore to Siem Reap. We have a driver and a guide. Thank God for the car with A/C and ice cold towels upon our return. I highly recommend you do this as the heat and humidity get really take a toll on you. The sites are to far a part for Tuk Tuks I think and the A/C is a lifesaver. No way I would do this trip without a guide, regardless of what others say, I paid less for 3 days with driver/car and guide then I paid for just 8 hours of a guide in Europe.

Let me know I could send our guide companies info.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

Hello Capt. Ron -

Could you post your guide companies info? THANKS!

Hi Capt. Ron,

How did you get charged and pay the Canadian rate for the overnight visa?

I don't know how. They just charged our on board account the lower rate. You don't give anybody any money, they charge your account and the ship's personnel handle all dealings with immigration in Vietnam. We did see officials of Vietnam on board holding the passports on deck 3. But we didn't speak to any of them, the ship's personnel handed out the passports etc.

Happy Planning,

Capt. Ron

• 9 months later...
Flew SilkAir, one of the only direct flights from Singapore to Siem Reap. We have a driver and a guide.

What is your opinion of SilkAir?

We are also thinking of doing a few days in Siem Reap on our own.

And did you book your SIN to REP air yourself or use a travel agency? Where did you stay?

Loved Silk Air. Flew from Singapore to Siem Reap and they served a tasty hot meal. Great airline owned by Singapore Airlines. Also, the flight attendants are a throwback to the days when flying was glamorous.

Great shopping in the Siem Reap airport. My husband loves his bamboo shirts.

Enjoy!

Loved Silk Air. Flew from Singapore to Siem Reap and they served a tasty hot meal. Great airline owned by Singapore Airlines. Also, the flight attendants are a throwback to the days when flying was glamorous.

Great shopping in the Siem Reap airport. My husband loves his bamboo shirts.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread with lots of important information. Really helpful in planning our first Asia cruise. :)

Just wanted to know as far as the overnight visas for Bangkok and in Hanoi were you charged 28 US dollars per person for each of those overnights or is it only a one-time 28 US dollar charge which covers both overnights?

There are a number of great discount airlines in SE Asia We have flown many of them frequently. Do a google search for discount airlines.

We have booked Air Asia multiple times for the past several years. One of our favourites for both short haul around Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Cambodia. Also booked NOK, Jetstar, Tiger/Scoot. Just booked a Kuala Lumper one way to Manilla in Feb. Four hour flight....less than $100. USD each, all in, on AIrAsia. Plus a Jan flight Singapore-Krabi (90 minutes) in Jan for $50USD all in.

Did you use private tours, if so what companies? Of the places you stopped at we will be in the following ports in April 2018 on Royal's Ovation

Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)

Chan May Port (Hue/Danang)

Hong Kong (overnight)

Singapore

Thanks a lot

When we did a cruise including Vietnam we did 4 Tours with Madame Ha of Vietland Discovery. We did a half day tour of Ho Chi Minh City, a day tour to Hoi An, a day tour to the Mekong Delta and a day on a junk in Halong Bay.

Each of these was in a group of about 12. We were looked after very well, all the tours were very good. The website is http://www.vietland-discovery.com/

There are a number of great discount airlines in SE Asia We have flown many of them frequently. Do a google search for discount airlines.

We have booked Air Asia multiple times for the past several years. One of our favourites for both short haul around Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Cambodia. Also booked NOK, Jetstar, Tiger/Scoot. Just booked a Kuala Lumper one way to Manilla in Feb. Four hour flight....less than $100. USD each, all in, on AIrAsia. Plus a Jan flight Singapore-Krabi (90 minutes) in Jan for $50USD all in.

Do you do the booking directly on their website?

We will need Sydney to Siem Reap, then Siem Reap to Singapore.

We book direct. Never use a TA.

Three years ago, we travelled though SE Asia and then to Australia/NZ. We only had a one way ticket and needed to get home. The one ways on the majors were very expensive and we could not find any good consolidator fares.

What we did find was a discount airline called Jetstar. We flew them to from Sydney to Honolulu. Then got an inexpensive one way home from Honolulu.. We had a nice two day layover. What we saved by doing this more than paid for our time in Honolulu.

The big surprise. We boarded the plane and found out that it was a code share with Qantas. The difference was the Jetstar seat was about $500. less expensive than the Qantas seat.

There are lots of options in Australia. If you are in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area you can get a very inexpensive AIrAsia flight to Kuala Lumpur. Then get a flight to Siem Reap. We orignally got to Australia this way, KL-Gold Coast Airport.

If you go on the airline websites you will be able to see their route maps. On AirAsia you can hit the currency button and get the fares in your currency.

Edited by iancal

We book direct. Never use a TA.

Three years ago, we travelled though SE Asia and then to Australia/NZ. We only had a one way ticket and needed to get home. The one ways on the majors were very expensive and we could not find any good consolidator fares.

What we did find was a discount airline called Jetstar. We flew them to from Sydney to Honolulu. Then got an inexpensive one way home from Honolulu.. We had a nice two day layover. What we saved by doing this more than paid for our time in Honolulu.

The big surprise. We boarded the plane and found out that it was a code share with Qantas. The difference was the Jetstar seat was about $500. less expensive than the Qantas seat.

There are lots of options in Australia. If you are in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area you can get a very inexpensive AIrAsia flight to Kuala Lumpur. Then get a flight to Siem Reap. We orignally got to Australia this way, KL-Gold Coast Airport.

If you go on the airline websites you will be able to see their route maps. On AirAsia you can hit the currency button and get the fares in your currency.

Thanks again!

Yes. Over the past few years we have been on Jetstar metal from Sydney-Honolulu and on shorter flights from Saigon-DaLat, and Hanoi - Bangkok. I think someone told us that Qantas owned a good portion of the Australian Jetstar operation but I could be mistaken on this. We would not hesitate to fly on Jetstar again and most likely will be on one of their short hauls at some point this winter. I am not an aviation expert-just a consumer.

All three flights were fine. Good equipment, good service. They all would compare well with any economy class flights that we have had on Untied, Delta, etc. We actually find that the North America airlines that we tend to use-Delta, UA, AC, and Westjet have inferior service and equipment when compared some of the SE Asia and European budget airlines. Mind you, that is not saying much.

Edited by iancal

Thanks. I was just curious as I seem to recall mixed reviews.

We have had a different budget experience in Europe. But are unfamiliar with Asian budget airlines. I have been very unhappy with the tightness of the space on Ryanair and easy jet, but the price is good. We tend to use BA.

We have good experiences with west jet in North America.

Do you do the booking directly on their website?

We will need Sydney to Siem Reap, then Siem Reap to Singapore.

If you are in Australia - try Singapore Airways, the legs from Singapore to Siem Reap and Siem Reap to Singapore will be serviced by Silk Air (Singapore subsidary) and full service airline - we did the same from Perth and found the airfare very good, and full service and baggage all the way - little more that using low cost airlines although I do use them a lot in travels to Asia from Perth

Skyscanner is a good starting point as it will give you all the options.

If you are in Australia - try Singapore Airways, the legs from Singapore to Siem Reap and Siem Reap to Singapore will be serviced by Silk Air (Singapore subsidary) and full service airline - we did the same from Perth and found the airfare very good, and full service and baggage all the way - little more that using low cost airlines although I do use them a lot in travels to Asia from Perth

Skyscanner is a good starting point as it will give you all the options.

Thank you very much. Will check out Skyscanner.

I did see the Singapore Airways routing but they were running about twice the price for Air Asia ($250/$500). But I have to admit the Air Asia website was very confusing about the size of allowed checked luggage, which there was an add-on fee for. I certainly don't want to get to the airport and get any $$ surprises. :(

Over the recent three years we must have done 15 trips on discount airlines in SE Asia and Australia. They have all been fine.

In Europe we have found that the nationals often price to the discount level. Last Feb, we needed to go from Santiago-Buenos Aires. We also planned to skop over to Uruguay. The flight cost to BA was in the area of $250 on the majors. With just a little effort we got a $50. fare on Sky to Montevideo, Uruguay. New plane, great service.

We find that the equipment on the discount airlines tend to much newer than that on the regular airlines. At least for shorter flights of up to four hours or so. Best food we have ever had in economy was the food we pre ordered (and paid a very nominal amount for) on Air Asia. Much better than the mush we have had on UA, ANA, Delta, AC, etc.