Higher vs. lower deck and seasickness

Trying to figure out what deck and balcony cabin on our upcoming Breeze cruise, and have decided no deck 6 due to the promenade just below. I'm seeing many great comments about the Lido deck and being right near the action, so to speak. My Husband gets seasick quite easily, so can I ask, does it really make that much of a difference on what deck you are on regarding seasickness? For example, deck 7 vs. 10? I do know I should book midship. I'm also not interested in the cove balconies. It is also $110 more to upgrade to Lido, so something to consider. Thanks for your help!

Be careful on that ship as many deck 6 mid deck balconys have no privacy because they overlook the hot tubs that jut out and those people can look right into your balcony.

if you are midship, it really isnt going to make a big difference deck 6 vs deck 7 or 8.

No matter what part of the ship I'm on...forward or aft, higher or low...I feel no difference in movement whatsoever. But that's just me. I do feel more of a vibration being aft (rear of the ship), but nothing to cause seasickness as far as I'm concerned.

We had a Lido balcony cabin on Carnival Magic in December and asked for it specificallly again on our next cruise in August. We felt some movement occaisonally but not significantly. We also did a cabin crawl on the December cruise and when we were on deck 2 you could tell there was slightly less movement than on deck 10. Perhaps the patch would work to quell possible seasickness.

I've found that typically the ships are so large I don't have any problems getting sick. I've been foward, aft, and middle of the ship and never had any problems. I've felt the movement many times, but it was so gentle it was more of a rocking motion. I've also been deep sea fishing and on other small boats on the ocean and I've gotten so sick I was basically curled up on deck except when I was leaning over the rail feeding the fish!

We have had a balcony cabin on deck 10 before and have had an ocean view cabin on deck 2 (both midship) and by far there is less motion the lower you are. I was skeptical at first but DH and I definitely felt the difference. I get sea sick easily and I felt much better being on the lower decks.

I think the ship size makes a difference, as well as the sea conditions (obviously). But my experience has been the lower the better. DH didn't get seasick (as in puking) but had some real motion issues on the Legend. He spent the first two days in bed. We had upgraded a few times and moved up decks but later wish we hadn't. The seas were mighty rough, so that likely contributed...

Why are you not interested in a cove? Had that on the Magic and LOVED it! Going again in December! :)

My first cruise I was on deck 8 mid ship. And puked the first two Nights... My second cruise I was deck 5 and mid ship and felt fantastic my entire cruise. You wouldn't believe the difference in how much better you feel being on the lower decks. It is better for sea sickness I'm living proof of that. From now on I plan to only book deck 6 and lower. My no cruise will be the dream and I'm going to try a Cove on deck two. :)

It makes a BIG difference if seas are choppy and you're the kind of person to get a bit queazy at the slightest feeling of pitching motion (the up and down motion). It will definitely be most pronounced the higher up and forward you go (simple physics). In fact, on our last cruise, our mother in law had a forward stateroom on deck 10, while we had a midship stateroom on deck 6. The motion was MUCH more noticeable in her stateroom. In fact, she took shelter in our cabin during one day when we hit bad weather and the ship was rocking. You couldn't be in her cabin without starting to feel nauseous after a few minutes.

With that said, it doesn't bother some, but it can be bad for others. If your husband is prone to seasickness, do him a favor and book a midship balcony on deck 7.

People react differently to seas and sea sickness

We always book lido balcony’s and when in high seas / head winds you will definitely feel it more being high up and up front .

There are some people who get sick from motion rocking and pitching , from the peripheral vision ( constant /continuous movement of water ).. really depends on the person I know someone who cant be in an inside room that rocks , they are fine if they go out on deck.. try to determine what scenario get to the person who is prone to “sickness” and act appropriately

Take some meclizine just in case… Hope this helps and have a great cruise

There is much more to it than just the location. Even being in the same location on the same style ship in what appears to be same sea conditions, you can suffer different levels of discomfort.

But I do try to book lower and midship. And if I can't get midship, aft is better than forward. But I normally have an inside, so since I don't have immediate access to fresh air, the location is more important. My 1st Glory cruise, we were in 2342, an inside midship. Table mates were complaining about their Lido cabin and all the rocking the night before during the storm and how sick they got. We couldn't even tell we were moving! Had no idea we'd sailed through a storm!

If he hasn't tried Ginger Root capsules, I highly recommend them. While I never actually got to the point where I puked, I did suffer quite a bit on my first several cruises.

Then, thanks to Cruise Critic, I read about Ginger Root. It has made a tremendous difference. I've only had a couple of times that I felt mild discomfort, and I immediately took 1/2 meclizine. Other than that, I've relied solely on the Ginger.

I start a couple of days before the cruise; take 1 am and pm and even continue for a couple of days after returning to help ease the post-cruise no-longer sailing issues.

As my fellow North Carolinian posted - lower and mid ship makes a big difference to those of us prone to motion sickness.

Meclizine is a Godsend for me - have used ground ginger pills and they also work as well, but I have to start taking them about a week (or more) ahead of time.....

Thank you so much everyone! It definitely sounds like lower and mid ship is where we want to be! He is extremely prone to motion sickness (as in, can't watch a moving merry go round!) so all of these tips will help. That is why I want a balcony, for the fresh air. Sounds like deck 7 is as high as I want to go then. As far as cove balconies, from the pics I've seen, I'm just not sure if seeing the waves that close would be good, if that makes any sense. And I know we're hitting hurricane season in June, just going to hope for the best. That's just what worked out with our school schedules with 1 in college, 1 in high school. I will invest in ginger pills and meclizine for both him and the boys, thank you! (And hello to my fellow North Carolinians!)

If you have a problem with seasickness, you should choose and cabin lower and in the middle.

but OP doesnt want a cove, and balconys start deck 6, so lower really isnt a option.

thats why I said deck 6 or 7 not much difference that will be noticed.

Another North Carolinian here - we cruised the Dream on deck 11 forward and the Magic on deck 12 forward (both were spa balconies). Lots and lots of movement in these locations. We like it - rocks us right to sleep but could be an issue if you were prone to sea sickness.

Thank you so much everyone! It definitely sounds like lower and mid ship is where we want to be! He is extremely prone to motion sickness (as in, can't watch a moving merry go round!) so all of these tips will help. That is why I want a balcony, for the fresh air. Sounds like deck 7 is as high as I want to go then. As far as cove balconies, from the pics I've seen, I'm just not sure if seeing the waves that close would be good, if that makes any sense. And I know we're hitting hurricane season in June, just going to hope for the best. That's just what worked out with our school schedules with 1 in college, 1 in high school. I will invest in ginger pills and meclizine for both him and the boys, thank you! (And hello to my fellow North Carolinians!)

deck 7 is where we usually stay- a few years ago we went to a higher deck on the destiny=- wow. I swear I felt EVERY sway that week.

Last cruise was on deck 8 of the Legend.

Yes, it depends on the ship and the waters.

we have always cruised in Sept.

Archived