Sapphire Beach -St. Thomas

jzad

I am wondering if anyone has a current update of the Beaches in St. Thomas. We had planned to go to Sapphire Beach on our Summit cruise in November before the hurricane hit and we are wondering if the dive shop and bbq/bar are still open for business. I have searched and cannot find anything past the damage it sustained right after the hurricane.

Thank you for any updates you may have.

janine

The beach bar is open and has been having live music on certain days. I don't know about the dive shop but it wouldn't take much to make them operational

The buildings came through fine but the grounds took quite a hit. They are coming back to life fairly quickly but I can't judge how quickly.

The beach bar is open and has been having live music on certain days. I don't know about the dive shop but it wouldn't take much to make them operational

The buildings came through fine but the grounds took quite a hit. They are coming back to life fairly quickly but I can't judge how quickly.

I think if we have the bar and a washroom to use we are good.

Thank you for the information.

Janine

If Sapphire is your favorite place and you only get there once a year on a cruise, imagine how you would feel if you actually stayed there.

That’s what I have been doing for a number of years. Maybe someday I’ll get bored but it’s been over 30 years and I still love it. Not close to bored yet!

If Sapphire is your favorite place and you only get there once a year on a cruise, imagine how you would feel if you actually stayed there.

That’s what I have been doing for a number of years. Maybe someday I’ll get bored but it’s been over 30 years and I still love it. Not close to bored yet!

We have vacationed there and loved every second of it. Stayed at Sapphire 4 times and Point Pleasant once (only because condo at Sapphire was not available). Looking forward to going back -- maybe March 2019. I can definitely see why you have never gotten bored, especially with that view!!

• 4 weeks later...

Our personal choice is Sapphire, others love Magens. Really depends on what you are looking for.

We’re not there and cannot comment on the conditions at either beach, but from all reports and pictures Sapphire escaped any major damage while Magens sustained much more. Water quality is good at both based on a recent water monitoring program.

As noted in other threads the VInow recovery blog has timely updates on beaches, resorts, etc. There is a water quality update there as well.

Excellent updates for everyone to take advantage of!

Unfortunately, that source does give visitors practical information such as are lounge chairs now available for rent, umbrellas, other shade, taxis, etc.

Unfortunately, that source does give visitors practical information such as are lounge chairs now available for rent, umbrellas, other shade, taxis, etc.

nick I think you meant the VInow recovery blog does NOT give information on amenities such as lounge chair rentals and umbrellass and taxis, and you are correct. The recovery blog is more than that, it’s a great source of more important information for both residents and visitors about the condition of properties, beaches, and the water. You can find updates on amenities from others here and from the resorts directly, and any questions regarding taxis are easily answered. Regarding other shade, surely you do realize that much of the foliage was damaged as part of this destruction and will take some time to recover?

nick I think you meant the VInow recovery blog does NOT give information on amenities such as lounge chair rentals and umbrellass and taxis, and you are correct. The recovery blog is more than that, it’s a great source of more important information for both residents and visitors about the condition of properties, beaches, and the water. You can find updates on amenities from others here and from the resorts directly, and any questions regarding taxis are easily answered. Regarding other shade, surely you do realize that much of the foliage was damaged as part of this destruction and will take some time to recover?

A friend of ours who has a home on St Thomas was there Oct 23 and said that all the trees were stripped of leaves. Now, given the climate and when people are cruising... much of that will come back... but it is difficult to say what it will be like. We went to Hilton Head about 9 months after Mathew hit... friends had described the mountains of trees and other debris from that Cat 2 (as I recall). But by the time we got there I was surprised at how good Sea Pines looked and it still seemed tree filled.. and shady... so only time will tell how fast St Thomas and the other islands will recover

Yes, many never really understood the devastation that took place in all of the Virgin Islands. Foliage will grow back or be replanted and the people and businesses will welcome back visitors to all these islands in due time. STT is getting back faster than other islands which will eventually be good for their economy.