Best prescription seasickness medicine?

alj1208

There are people out there who believe that homeopathic "medicine" works, and they swear by it even when it's just plain water. The fact that they've deluded themselves into thinking that that stuff works doesn't make it real medicine.

OTOH, many "medecines" come from home remedies.

Aspiring came from willow tree bark. Quinine (used to be used to prevent and treat malaria) come from tree bark also.

Just because YOU think it hokum, does not make it so.

Also, if a placebo works, what is the problem? IT WORKS.

Give it up Strophic. I had this argument with people not too long ago about Airborne. I showed proof and everything. I am an RN and everyone just argued with me that it worked for them and never got sick. Lol.....and people did not understand that just because you did not get sick....IT WAS NOT BECAUSE YOU TOOK AIRBORNE!!!!! These people just make the manufacturers richer and richer. Let them waste their money and believe what they want to believe.

Agreed. I think Airborne is about as stupid a product as anything.

But with Sea Bands, if the person has sea sickness, they use Sea Bands and do not. They take them off and have problems, IT WORKS FOR THEM.

WHATEVER the mechanism.

Realize that in drug studies, a fairly large number of the control group get the same benefits as the group that got the drug. The placebo effect WORKS.

OTOH, many "medecines" come from home remedies.

Aspiring came from willow tree bark. Quinine (used to be used to prevent and treat malaria) come from tree bark also.

Just because YOU think it hokum, does not make it so.

Also, if a placebo works, what is the problem? IT WORKS.

Do you even know what homeopathy is? It's literally water with poison in it, shaken, then distilled hundreds of times until no molecules of poison remain. Practitioner's believe that the water not only "remembers" having poison in it, but that the shaking and diluting process turns the water into an antidote for the poison it once contained. It does not work, and it's not anything like actual medicines with natural origins. It's got nothing to do with being a "home remedy" or not, it's just plain idiocy.

There's a word for 'alternative medicine' that actually works, you know. It's called medicine.

• 1 month later...
Hi: I am not a first-time cruiser, but I thought this would be a good forum to get some advice. I would like recommendations for prescription seasickness medication. The medicine I have used in the past, Scopace pills, worked great for me but has been discontinued. It was the same medicine that is contained in the patch, but at a lower dose and could be taken on an "as needed" basis. I will bring Bonine, but I have found it doesn't always work 100% for me in rougher seas. I am considering the Transderm Scop patch, but I have heard so many negative stories. Scopace pills were good because the dose was lower than the patch. Please share your suggestions for prescription meds (I already have all the info I need on over-the-counter or non-drug interventions).

I personally prefer the patch. While I've only had the need once, some people traveling with us benefited well from the supply I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not fans of Sea Bands. However, they obviously help some folks just like a sugar pill helps some folks recover from whatever! For the non-believers they might want to Google "Placebo Effect." Perhaps the ability of sea bands to help is simply a mental thing....but if it works for some...then they are lucky. For the rest of us, some kind of drug will have to suffice...and every drug does come with its share of side effects.

For those that do not think that sea sickness is, at least, partially a mental thing we offer this one true tale. A few years ago we were on HAL's Rotterdam for a voyage from Rotterdam to NYC. Our ship was not scheduled to depart Rotterdam until about 10pm...so the ship was docked securely in Rotterdam's river (Nieuwe Mass) where there is barely a ripple. We had dinner with a young German couple (while still tied up at the pier) and as soon as this lady sat down she began to turn an interesting shade of green. She quickly fled from the MDR, as her husband enjoyed his food. He explained that his wife would get sea sick as soon as she even saw a boat or ship...so he was surprised she made it to the MDR :). In her case it was all in her mind...but she was certainly sick. In fact, she hardly ever left her cabin during the entire crossing to NYC. And yes, she was wearing Sea Bands!

Hank

Mythbusters, the Discovery Channel show, did an episode in seasickness that is interesting to watch. Either Season 3, Episode 20 or Season 4, Episode 4 (I did a google search and they both came up). They try all sorts of remedies, and see which ones work.

Their results: Ginger pills work best.

I get super travel sick and use the transderm-scop on airplanes, at Yellowstone, etc., but I am worried it won't be enough either, so I am hoping combining the patch with the ginger pills will work when we go on our first cruise next June.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and her father have used Bonine (meclizine) in the OTC version occasionally (Father in law fairly regularly). No need for prescribed meds.

Checked out Amazon.com before our Alaska Cruise and found another med that has he same exact ingrediants as Bonine for muuch less. Boniine costs about $10 for 8 tablets, Rugby costs $9 for 100 tablets. Worked grrreat.

Checked out Amazon.com before our Alaska Cruise and found another med that has he same exact ingrediants as Bonine for muuch less. Boniine costs about $10 for 8 tablets, Rugby costs $9 for 100 tablets. Worked grrreat.

Rugby is a brand name for meclizine. Meclizine is the generic. You can get it a WalMart for $6.93 (25mg 100 tablets).

The patch is the only thing that works for me. All my life I've been prone to motion sickness. As I get older, it affects me more and more. The last time I sat on a kids swing, just the slight back and forth of sitting made me dizzy. And yes, it is partly in your head, as I'm typing this, I'm feeling dizzy.

Funny thing is, I'm fine on roller coasters (as long as it's not right after eating), but merry-go-rounds and ferris wheels, anything that goes in circles, are bad. I can't even watch it go round.