Cost for photos at Dolphin Swim Excursions

TitanSMES

Our cruise on the Carnival Magic was changed from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean. This means we had to change our excursions. We selected a Swim with the Dolphins excursion in Cozumel. As I read some reviews, they almost always mention the fact that you are almost "forced" into buying photo packages from the excursion. This sounds like highway robbery or something close to it. What can I expect to pay if I were to decide to buy and photo and is this coercion to buy true?

I did a dolphin swim in Cozumel. At the time, they allowed waterproof cameras, so I had a case and used it with my camera and took my own pictures. I understand that now they no longer allow that. "Watchers" are definitely not allowed to take pictures.

The activities with the dolphin were done for the pictures, and redone if necessary to get a picture. After the swim was over, we were brought up to a room for the sole purpose of selling us our photos. And yes, from what I recall it was highway robbery.

Every time I've looked at those excursions, whether on our own or through the cruise line, they all are like that. It's the reason I've never done it. I agree, it's insane!! I'm sure those who have done it will give you the exact info you're looking for. I just know that they seem to all be like that.

I did a dolphin swim in grand cayman. Cameras were prohibited so if you wanted photos you had to buy them. I was really disappointed in the experience. It wasn't a dolphin swim, it was a dolphin photo session. All we did was swim to the middle and pose, then they would bring the dolphin in to complete the pose and snap a picture. The picture package was over $100, but don't remember exactly how much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks to all. I may have to go to Sea World if I want to see flipper. The tour and cruise lines should give you more info so you can make an informed decision about spending your hard earned money

Wow! When I think about shelling out that kind of cash for photos I would probably be marrying the poor old dolphin. In these modern times, it ain't all that far fetched! When it comes to the photos I am thinking of a word that starts with N and ends with O. Thanks to all

We went to Chankanaab ourselves and while there were approached and asked if we wanted to do the dolphin swim. We said no, it was too expensive for the 4 of us. So the price went way down, we said no because we can't take photos, so they included 2 photos each. We did the swim, and even went in with the manatees.

When it came to the photos there were over 100 taken and they were great, but we had to narrow it down to 2 each. When we finally decided, they offered us the whole lot on a disc for $150, we said no. In the end, we got the prints, every single photo on a USB, plus another 30 that were taken with and during the seal show for $70! Good thing with the seal show, was were the only ones there!

We were talking with another family and they paid $150 and received less! So my advice, bargain and be disinterested! Also we paid a lot less for the whole day that the ships tour.

They will negotiate but expect the disc of photos to run $250-300.

You can save money by booking with Chankanaab directly...

This exactly! We did this Dolphin Swim in Cozumel at the park as well. You can book the excursion through Carnival - We did it April 2016. The boat wanted $169 PP, which included transportation, entrance to the park, lunch and the swim.

We booked it individually through the park which was $99 PP. It included the entrance to the park, lunch, the swim AND we got to go in the manatee tank and feed the manatees.

We were NOT allowed our own cameras during the swim, or a go pro. There were 3 of us. However, they did send a photographer out w/ us who took all the pictures. It is ridiculously priced. I don't remember exactly, but it was like $25 for 1 picture ... or $210 for the whole CD which was about 150 pictures of all 3 of us. We split the cost of the CD and burned it.

Transportation was $10 each way for a cab for the 3 of us. The park is like 10 minutes from the port.

Another advantage to booking individually over the ship ... LESS PEOPLE in your swim. Those that booked through the boat were about 12 to a group. There were 5 in our group ... that means MORE IN WATER dolphin time!

• 1 month later...

Many people are not yet aware of how dolphins arrive at the swim with dolphin attractions or how they are 'trained' to perform for you/swim with you. If everyone wanting to swim with a dolphin or participate would take a few minutes to visit this link and learn a bit more our mammal friends would appreciate it.

https://www.dolphinproject.com/campaigns/captivity-industry/swimming-with-dolphins/

Thank you