Confused and Needing to purchase a camera.

Rainbowfalls

Hello,

I am so confused on purchasing a camera there's so many options and confusing photography jargon that I am now lost in a sea of iso, slr and pixels.

I was hoping someone could help me in deciding a good camera that's anywhere from $100-$1000, though I would love to keep my budget low around $500-700.

I am looking for a camera that would allow me to take (sorry for the lack of technical terms) :

Light painting pictures or time capture... I would love to take pictures of the stars during the course of the night or do light streaks.

Macro or close pictures of bugs/flowers.

blurred background with focused forground and vice versa.

Action/movement photos that are not so blurry and horrible looking

I really just want the best camera that I can get for my money with clean sharp pictures that look semi professional or as professional as possible without spending that kind of money (as I am sure everyone wants lol)

So suggestions? Help?? please? lol, thank you :)

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me in deciding a good camera that's anywhere from $100-$1000, though I would love to keep my budget low around $500-700.

That is a huge range.

I assume you want a camera with changeable lens, so your budget would include the lens, extra battery, case, and some memory cards to start, or is the $500.00-$700.00 range just for the camera?

I would narrow my choices to Nikon, but that is because I have been using Nikon for 40 years. I like Fuji too, but have been using them for a back-up camera Point & Shoot.

For that kind of money with the target activities you listed, an entry-level DSLR would fill the bill quite well. I shoot with Sony and would recommend their models from personal experience but any of the major brands offer fine products.

If you want the quality of a DSLR and less bulk, The Sony NEX series is a reasonably priced alternative. I got one to use as a second camera when I don't want to lug the DSLR around and I love it. I did a first-impressions article with some sample shots HERE if you are interested.

The good news is that it is almost impossible to find a truly bad camera these days. Even the $100 point & shoot models are generally good performers (though not for star trails or fast action).

What make a picture "professional" is the skill of the person behind the viewfinder :D

With skill a picture from a 200 dollar camera could rival a 2000 dollar camera but there are also times where in the hands of the most skilled professional you got to pay serious money for good results.

Sounds like you want a do all, entry level DSLR will give you the most bang for your buck. If you got that route and are comfortable going used the value you get is even bigger and leaves you more money for lense to enable macro, low light and sports.

A entry level Canikon is where I'd start.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM?view=dp_slr_consumer

Hello,

I am so confused on purchasing a camera there's so many options and confusing photography jargon that I am now lost in a sea of iso, slr and pixels.

I am looking for a camera that would allow me to take (sorry for the lack of technical terms) :

Light painting pictures or time capture... I would love to take pictures of the stars during the course of the night or do light streaks.

I really just want the best camera that I can get for my money with clean sharp pictures that look semi professional or as professional as possible without spending that kind of money (as I am sure everyone wants lol)

Thank you all!

I was looking at the DSLRs but with so many options on make and models I am so confused I know I need to find one that has long exposure times and I guess for the blurry/focus images I need to have apterures? But I am lost in the detail of what the cameras offer like how do I tell what their apterure is and what a good one is...or how do i tell the exposure limits. I see like f/# but have no idea what that means lol in relation to what that would give me.

both the sony and the nikon and i really like the look of the canon but would I need to purchase extras for them too? like more lens and flash?

I got a Canon Rebel, hard sided case, 3 lenses, cleaning kit, for 800 on ebay. Brand new in the box. It is now 3 years old and have never had a problem. Sounds like the best advice is to get a camera book, Camera's for dummies-----jusst a thought so you get the idea of what the F/# is for and stuff. Getting a DSLR is not really worth it, if you do not know how to use all the features. Do some googling, reading, and most any major brand dslr will do what you want. Good Camera hunting!!!! And I was not trying to say you are dummy, just that kind of book will explain it all out so you understand it.

Light painting pictures or time capture - requires a camera with manual exposure capability (DSLR or others).

Macro or close pictures of bugs/flowers - best results require a DSLR with a macro lens (Nikon 40mm micro lens @ $279 is a good start).

blurred background - best results are with a large sensor camera such as a DSLR.

Action/movement photos - best results with a fast lens, low shutter delay, and good photos at high ISOs.

DSLRs are good choices. While Sony NEX cameras might be a choice, realize that the lens selection is limited; no macro, fast long telephoto, etc. Of course you could buy an adapter, then an a-mount macro lens if you wish.

The Nikon D3100 is the best selling entry level DSLR.

Thank you all!

I was looking at the DSLRs but with so many options on make and models I am so confused I know I need to find one that has long exposure times and I guess for the blurry/focus images I need to have apterures? But I am lost in the detail of what the cameras offer like how do I tell what their apterure is and what a good one is...or how do i tell the exposure limits. I see like f/# but have no idea what that means lol in relation to what that would give me.

both the sony and the nikon and i really like the look of the canon but would I need to purchase extras for them too? like more lens and flash?

I would suggest visiting the beginners' forum over at http://www.dpreview.com - they also have camera reviews, and a search by features.

Visit your library and get some books on photography. [Patrick Moore used to have some books on basic Astrophotography - including star trails and meteor showers]

Do you have a real camera store nearby? [Not a 'big box' store - the sales folks in big box stores often don't know when they are lying]. You will want to see how the camera fits your eyes and fingers. [and if you have a local camera store - buy you stuff there! See if they have lessons, or know when something like 'the Nikon School' has a seminar nearby.]

I currently have a superzoom camera [Panasonic FZ-50 / Leica vLux1] that is capable of all the items on your list - but is not the best choice for any one item on the list.

Any camera with manual exposure controls can do star trails on a 'bulb' setting [some cameras cannot take too long an exposure - its not a high priority feature] - a cable release of remote control may be needed to make the long exposure [star trails may take hours].

Controlled focus [isolating the subject from foreground and background] works best when you throw lots of money at the hardware ;)

Shallow depth of field is provided by some combination of fast [lots of glass] lenses, long focal length [not too close to the subject] and a large image sensor [like an 8 by 10 inch piece of sheet film]. Most cameras have tiny sensors, making the 'fast' lens essential [my FZ-50 has a f2.8 lens, partially compensating for the small sensor]

In addition to the SLR cameras, I would look at

• Super zoom 'bridge' cameras [Panasonic FZ-150, Fuji XS-1]
  • EVIL [Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens] cameras from Olympus, Panasonic or Sony
  • Medium size sensor cameras, with fast lenses [Canon S100, Fuji X10, Panasonic LX5]

The good news is that it is almost impossible to find a truly bad camera these days. Even the $100 point & shoot models are generally good performers (though not for star trails or fast action).

It is amazing what a P&S in the $300 - $500 range can do and they keep getting better every year, but still not good enough for star trails, low light, or fast action!

My DW has a Sony DSLR and I have my $300 Panasonic Lumix P&S!

DSLRs are good choices. While Sony NEX cameras might be a choice, realize that the lens selection is limited; no macro, fast long telephoto, etc. Of course you could buy an adapter, then an a-mount macro lens if you wish.

FYI, the popularity of the NEX cameras has caused Sony and third-party to ramp up their lens releases. There is an affordable 30mm 1:1 macro and a 50mm f/1.8 currently available and several interesting pancakes on the horizon. While there is no long fast telephoto on the map, the adapter you mentioned does support fast phase-detect autofocus with A-mount Sony and Minolta lenses. I originally bought mine as a back-up that didn't sacrifice quality but it turned out to be a lot more camera than you would expect in such a tiny package.

Any DSLR should be able to do this. You are looking to mount your camera on a tripod (or rest it on something stable), point it up, and then fire your camera with a very long shutter time. A remote trigger will help too.

This is an aspect of the lens. Some lenses do better than others.

The blurred background is called bokeh. Getting this shot requires a certain ratio of focal length and aperture (aspect of the lens). Basically, a wide open aperature (the f number) and a long focal length (the number preceding mm) is required. The quality of the bokeh is a big deal to photographers. Apparently there is good bokeh and bad bokeh. Feel free to do some research online as to what that means.

Again, good lens here. Lots of factors are involved, but a faster shutter speed is required to 'stop time'. However, the drawback is that the faster the shutter speed, less light comes in and your picture comes out dark. ou can compensate by using a lens with a wider aperture (lower F numbers), or by increasing your ISO (this is one of few reasons to buy a better body...better bodies can go higher ISO without becoming grainy).

Here is my humble advice. Buy a cheap body and spend your money on good quality lenses.

Based on what you are wanting, I recommend getting an inexpensive body, perhaps a used Canon 400D or 450D ($400 incl kit lens) and spend a lot of money on quality lenses. You can grab a used Canon 70-200 F4 L for around $600.

Here are examples of this combo (not my work):

Lechuza Vizcachera II

http://www.flickr.com/photos/layeiser/3567586075/

Good luck!

For star trails, DLSR, wide angle lens, manual or bulb mode (>30secs exposure), tripod and wired or wireless remote shutter

macro lens (50mm will do for flowers shots but 70mm minimum for bugs)

requires a good lens with at least f2.8 aperture.

Like ikirumata said, lots of factors are involved but mainly controlled by your shutter speed and the lights available.

Posters above me have already given you good advise. With what you are after to achieve, I suggest for a dslr. You can start with an entry level body like a canon T3i (flip LCD) or even T2i and a good lens (or Nikon/Sony dslr equivalent). Try if you can just buy a body (without the kit lens) and buy the lens separately.

No need to buy canon lens if you want to stick within your budget. There are many good 3rd party lens to choose from. For a first lens, you can start with a sigma 17-70mm (f2.8-f4), its wide, a little zoom and it has macro capability. I'm sure you can achieve what you want with this combo.

I bought a Canon Rebel T3i a few months prior to going to Alaska. I did practice with the different settings,etc. prior to going. My pictures and videos came out fantastic!!! (and I did not always use the automatic setting!!) I have had quite a few point and shoot cameras, but knew it was time to upgrade. I previously owned and still have a canon AE1, think I bought that in 1977...also my boyfriend has a Canon, so we have a mixture of lenses that we both use. just love the canon rebel t3i!!

please ignore a lot of the advice above about getting a DSLR. It sounds like you're a beginning photographer, and a dslr might not be the answer you're looking for. I would suggest a Canon G12. It has basically all the functions of a DSLR but it's smaller and can fit in your pocket or purse. The benefit of this is that you'll use it a lot more. Go to Best Buy and check it out. It should run around $400. Use that for a couple years then step up to dslr if you want.

please ignore a lot of the advice above about getting a DSLR. It sounds like you're a beginning photographer, and a dslr might not be the answer you're looking for. I would suggest a Canon G12. It has basically all the functions of a DSLR but it's smaller and can fit in your pocket or purse. The benefit of this is that you'll use it a lot more. Go to Best Buy and check it out. It should run around $400. Use that for a couple years then step up to dslr if you want.

Over on Amazon, they have the Nikon P7000 camera for $229.

This camera was not too well reviewed when it was introduced, but there was a recent firmware update [summer 2011] that was supposed to improve things.

The P7xxx cameras are close competitors for the Canon Gxx series and the Fuji X10 [modest zoom, manual controls, fast lens, usable viewfinder]

• 2 weeks later...

Also for the kind of things you want to do, a good tripod is a must. You'll have the shutter open for a long time, and it's impossible to hold a camera perfectly still for that long. Vibration Reduction (VR) lenses can help salvage a picture taken in a dark dining room, but for making star trails, you'll want the shutter open for several minutes, and VR isn't enough.

I disagree because it sounds like the OP would like the opportunity to have the opportunity for flexibility and expand his or her knowledge and capabilities. I think an entry level dslr provides much more range than a point and shoot (even though, admittedly, my pics with my point and shoot are comparable to my dslr pics).

A few years back, I was in the same position as the OP and had a particular camera in mind, mostly because of the postive reviews I read. However, after talking with a very knowledgable salesperson, I walked out of the store with a completly different model. I think the best advice for the OP is to go to a real camera store and work with the saleperson to choose the perfect camera, whether it be a dslr or a nice point and shoot.

I love having my dslr (A Canon T2i) because of the flexibility and lens choices. The downsides is it is heavy and bulky when I take both my lens, so I switch off between my inexpensive point and shoot and my dslr.

For the price the OP is considering, I personally would by an entry level dslr.

The thing I love best about a DSLR is no shutter lag. That is, you press the button, you make your pictures. Most point and shoots have a few seconds delay, and that can be tremendously frustrating. Especially on vacation when you're trying to catch that once-in-a-lifetime moment!

I would tend to agree with this. Your first choice shoud be either point/shoot or dslr. Making that choice cuts your choices in half.

There are point/shoots that will do just about everything you listed plus some. Like fisheye,one color, blend colors,b/w, timed exposure, easy to blur backgrounds,macro,etc. We have 2 canons that do all of this, one will fit into your pocket, the other is much bigger with a 20X lense.

So, your choice, basicly when on vacation I don't want to lug around a lot of camera equiptment or bags- have been that route with 35mm and the lenses. Point and shoots work fine for us and they make them better each year. :D

Point and shoots work fine for us and they make them better each year. :D

I have a Sony NEX-5 with the requisite number of lens. Great camera!

But that being said, I usually carry a Panasonic FZ with me. In the last trip, it was a 100 but I now have a FZ-150.

The Panasonic FZ-150 has good reviews - you can google it - it is light weight, has considerable range - a wide angle of about 25mm and a zoom out to about 600mm. The pictures are sharp and not only records in JPEG but also in RAW formats. It also takes video in high definition!

For travel, it can't be beat!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Some good suggestions so far suggesting either an entry level DSLR or one of the Sony NEX cameras. If I may offer a couple more suggestions, you might want to have a look at the Micro Four Thirds cameras that Olympus and Panasonic have. They are interchangable lens cameras like DSLRs but are much smaller and lighter. Several of the cameras available can be had for $600-$700 including a kit lens, leaving you with enough money for another lens possibly. I have the Panasonic GH2, but Olympus will shortly be coming out with the E-M5 (which I'm seriously considering buying). Both are targeted mostly at enthusiasts, with the Olympus costing anywhere from $999 for just a body (no lens) to $1300 with a 12-50mm zoom lens that also has Macro capability. Models to look at: The Panasonic G3 or GX1, or the Olympus E-P3 or E-PL3, or the upcoming E-M5.

Canon is also about to release the G1X - it's similar to the G12 another poster recommended, but with a larger sensor, allowing you to take better photos in low light. It's an all in one camera, you can't change the lens, so maybe a bit easier to pack around and use.

I don't agree with the theory of P&S before a DSLR. A lot of assumptions seem to be being made about the OP's level of experience with camera's in general. I'll make some too: You know what you want to do, and it is pretty rare the person in this day and age hasn't had a digital camera in their hands by now.

The budget OP has given allows him/her to buy a very decent setup, so why should he/she buy a cheaper camera, learn how to use it, then have to buy another and learn the settings and menu's all over again?

This is where a "brick and mortar" photography store earns it's keep. I guarantee Cincinnati has some great camera stores - go on a dedicated photography forum and ask locals who they recommend. Or check the BBB, maybe a local club or school.

Then "interview" the salespeople. When you walk in, explain what your goals are. They'll ask you for your budget, can't help that, but if they aren't patient and make you feel comfortable, with the budget you have given - politely thank them and move on.

$500-$1000 is nothing to sneeze at, and actual stores are losing business to the internet everyday, so service is what will set them apart, earn your business, and help you become the photographer you want to be. It will also become a ready resource for all your questions, when they arise.

We're here to help, but the luxury of a relationship with a local shop is what can best help someone in your situation most.

PS: I'm in the Canon Rebel camp!

Just my.02

Some good suggestions so far suggesting either an entry level DSLR or one of the Sony NEX cameras. If I may offer a couple more suggestions, you might want to have a look at the Micro Four Thirds cameras that Olympus and Panasonic have. They are interchangable lens cameras like DSLRs but are much smaller and lighter. Several of the cameras available can be had for $600-$700 including a kit lens, leaving you with enough money for another lens possibly. I have the Panasonic GH2, but Olympus will shortly be coming out with the E-M5 (which I'm seriously considering buying). Both are targeted mostly at enthusiasts, with the Olympus costing anywhere from $999 for just a body (no lens) to $1300 with a 12-50mm zoom lens that also has Macro capability. Models to look at: The Panasonic G3 or GX1, or the Olympus E-P3 or E-PL3, or the upcoming E-M5.

Canon is also about to release the G1X - it's similar to the G12 another poster recommended, but with a larger sensor, allowing you to take better photos in low light. It's an all in one camera, you can't change the lens, so maybe a bit easier to pack around and use.

FYI: The Sony NEX body is actually smaller than any of the micro 4/3 cameras and the Canon G1x? You may have confused the NEX with the Alpha fixed-mirror SLT camera bodies. It is actually only slightly larger than the Nikon J1 despite having an APS-C sensor which is 3x as large as the J1's CX format and 1.6x larger than 4/3 sensors. There is also a misconception that the NEX lenses are larger than most of their 4/3 counterparts. Except for a few pancakes and the new 14-42 collapsible from Panasonic, they are almost exactly the same size and only appear larger because of the tiny body.

Here is a photo of my NEX5 compared to my HX5V P&S.

DSC01533A.jpg

Jacket pocketable!

I have found the NEX to be a great alternative to my DSLR in situations where I want to keep the image quality of the larger camera but don't want to lug the whole kit around.

Dave

I agree with Dave. Sold my Nikon D7000, to heavy, bought the Sony NEX-5N and love it. Takes great video and pictures and the size is perfect for a carry around. If you want DLSR, I also use my Nikon D5100, for the price does a great job and gives a lot of options on how you want to take pictures and the output.

I got a lot of info from dpreview.com, think one of the best sites to help you decide, it worked for me. The forums can give personal experience.

Good Luck

Tom :cool:

Archived