First time cruise with toddler...3-day

Gdansk55

Hi guys. We have always wanted to go on a cruise but we just never got around to it. We're not sure if a seven day cruise for first timers like us would work well with a toddler.. or ourselves for that matter. So we are thinking of doing a simple 3 day cruise out of Los Angeles. The port is just a short drive from us so that makes it really simple.

I know these 3 day cruises have a reputation of being a party boat. Which would normally be fine for us. I guess my question is would a 3 day cruise be appropriate for my 18mo daughter? I realize activities for a toddler would be limited on any cruise.. But it is only a 3 day cruise and it would be more or less a test run for a longer cruise next year.

Both Carnival and Princess offer the 3 day cruises out of Los Angeles. I am leaning towards Princess vs Carnival but would appreciate any input.

Thanks Everyone

quote.gif

With a toddler I'd go Princess since you can take your child into the kids area to play - lots of toys and other kids to play with. My girls LOVED it.

The only thing with a 3 day cruise is I wouldn't use it as a judge of how a 7 day cruise will go. The chaos of boarding and disembarking will be a larger part of the trip than on a week cruise, when you really have time to get on the ship's schedule and pretty much forget what day it is. I could see not enjoying a 3 day cruise, but loving a 7 day.

All the best,

Mia

It will be fine...if there is "partying" going on , you don't have to take part! Plenty of quiet areas for your toddler to toddle about! And, at 3 years old, all of the cruise lines have a kid's club she will probably love!

I also vote Princess. Less of a party crowd. And yes you can avoid it - unless the family reunion in the rooms adjoining yours turns into a drunken all party with people pulling stools and tables into the hall and hootin and hollerin still at 11 pm. Don't get me wrong - still love Carnival but would not take our kids on less than 5 days.

We've sailed many of these cruises on Carnival and Princess out of SoCal. Our worst 3day drunk fest was a F-M in November on Princess. I'd sail a three day during the low season (it's also cheaper) on the Imagination. It usually leaves on a Thursday, less of a party situation because of the work week.

Could you wait til your child is 2? Carnival's kid's clubs accept kids at 2yo.

FWIW I see no difference in going on a 3day cruise than going away anywhere else for the weekend. There are differences in a 3day v week long cruise. The longer cruises more sedate. There's a 6 day cruise on the Carnival Miracle leaving Dec 11 that'll be extremely sedate.

The West Coast Departure board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think a 3 day is a good indicator of how a 7 day will go. They are very different in many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would agree. I found that longer cruises are better for my daughter. We try to do 10+ days if we can. If I'm packing for her for 3 days it's not that much effort to pack for longer!

I'm not saying you won't enjoy the 3 day but some children can take a while to adjust to new environments and routines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would agree. I found that longer cruises are better for my daughter. We try to do 10+ days if we can. If I'm packing for her for 3 days it's not that much effort to pack for longer!

I'm not saying you won't enjoy the 3 day but some children can take a while to adjust to new environments and routines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also agree- my kiddo does fine on both but longer cruises are def easier with him and have a totally different 'feel' on board. I would not be able to judge how he will do based on a 3 day because theY are so different (atmosphere, size and amenities of ships, etc). The only thing i would see it helping with is gauging the likelyhood of seasickness. plus packing all that extra stuff for a short trip... Ugh : )