Breakaway NCL Travel Tips for Young Children

npeacemaker

We are taking the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda for a 7 night cruise in 2017. It will be myself, husband, and twin 3 year olds at time of sailing.

We booked a Haven level forward facing room to get the extra perks. For example, we get to board the ship first (I consider this a gigantic perk when travelling with 2 three year olds). Has anyone booked this cabin level on the Breakaway? Do you feel a lot of motion we are on level 13 of the boat. Should I be concerned about motion sickness? I plan to be preventive just in case. We also have an enclosed balcony, is it fully enclosed?

Also, anyone do this cruise with young kiddos and can give any advice on what to do when at port with the kiddos? If they are not potty trained we won't be able to get off the boat (just me and the hubby, that is) as we will need to be close by for diaper changes. PLEASE let them be potty trained. :) So we will all get off the boat together if they are not potty trained. Which isn't really that big of a deal. Just looking for a nice beach or family activity.

How was the boat for little ones? We plan to take advantage of the kids club since they will be 3 years old they can attend.

I agree...work on that potty training! Otherwise, they won't be allowed in the pools!

As far as ports, get a guidebook at your library and read up on your ports. Beaches are easy and public....a guidebook will give you transportation options, distances, what amenities are at each beach area, shopping, food/drink...everything you need to know!

As far as motion...if it's really rough, you will feel it everywhere...if it's calm, you'l be fine. You will only be in the cabin about 30% of the time. The good thing with toddlers...they don't seem to be bothered by motion too much...they are a bit "unsteady" on their own!

We just got off Breakaway with our 2 year old this morning. We were in a Haven Courtyard Penthouse on deck 15 just forward of the forward elevators. We had a very smooth ride, but I have had rough rides to Bermuda before, so never really know what to expect [emoji846]

Priority boarding is great, as is breakfast in the Haven restaurant if yours are anything like mine and want to eat right away in the morning. Since he was 2 we didn't have a lot of quiet time to enjoy the Haven area, but were able to leave him with my parents a few times to catch dinner or a show without him. This was his second cruise, and he had a great time.

We just took the ferry to Hamilton one day ($4.50 each way for adults, free for kids under 5) and explored near the dockyard another day (shops, playground, museum, and a beach we didn't go to because my son doesn't really like them). We just stayed on the ship our second day because it was rainy. We have been to Bermuda twice before, so we weren't trying to do everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have cruised to Bermuda three times now and there wasn't any motion. It was fine. A front facing cabin will be windy and will have a lot of motion, in comparison to the rest of the ship.

In Bermuda- definitely go to the zoo/ aquarium. You can get there by taxi or by ferry across to Hamilton and then taxi from there. It was wonderful. Also, within walking distance of the pier, is Dolphin Quest. You can go inside there for a fee ($10 per person I believe) and watch the dolphins interact with humans. I think kids would enjoy that. Bermuda is a lovely island, and the people there are friendly.

We did the BA to Bermuda when our dd was three. It was a great trip. I also agree on working hard on the potty training. (Have also heard that it's easier before they turn 3 since they get more set in their ways.) If they are trained, there is a cute kids pool they can play in. You will see some not trained in there, but they're not supposed to be.

Our favorite day in Bermuda was when we went to Horseshoe Bay. It can be crowed but the beach is huge so you can always find a space to play. Bring sand toys, rent two chairs and umbrella and let them play in the sand all day. An express bus comes at the end of the pier and goes directly there. You have to walk down a big hill to get to the beach. You can also walk up, but with dd and her "stuff" it was easier to pay a dollar for each of us to ride up the little bus. We spent the entire day there and could have stayed longer.

We also did a shore excursion on a catamaran and snorkeled. It was dd's first time "snorkeling", which was basically jumping off the cat with her puddle jumper on and wearing her swimming goggles. But she was able to look face down as long as she could hold her breath and see some fish. She loved it and enjoyed riding on the cat too.

The third day we walked to the beach that's in the dockyard. I forgot what it's called but it's not impressive. The water is not clear or blue and the "beach" is man made so not great. We still had fun but I can't say I'd go there again.

You can take ferries or buses just about anywhere and there are some good websites to show the main attractions and how to get there. We loved going to Bermuda with a three year old and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

The beach in the Dockyard is called Snorkel Park. It's not the most beautiful beach on Bermuda but in terms of convenience with kids it's ideal! Walking distance from the ship, all the amenities you could want (food/bar, restrooms, rentals). Just outside the entrance is a splash pad and playground. We went last June with our 1 year old daughter and will be going again in September with her (2 years 3 months) and our 8 month old daughter. Also plan on taking a cab to the zoo which my kids love!

Following. We'll be going to Bermuda on the BA in October with my 3 kids. (7, 5 and almost 2 at the time). They want to do the caves and beaches. Going to look into the dolphin thing mentioned above!

Are the buses actual buses and not vans? I don't feel comfortable with my 1 year old in a van without a car seat but if it's an actual bus that's perfect.

We did the breakaway (to the Bahamas) in 2014 when my kids were 3 & 4. They loved the kids pool. They were potty trained but there were many, many swim diapers in there and I can't say I ever saw any get kicked out :/ My 4 year old likes the kids club but my 3 year old not really. He went a few times but they called us to come pick him up shortly after. My 4 yr old likes the one show, burn the floor I think?