Santiago de Cuba

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Anybody been there? What excursions were you offered on the ship? If you were on a cruise line that didn't discourage you from doing your own thing, what did you do? I know Oceania goes there, but not sure about any other lines. However, it's a big city and I'm looking forward to exploring whatever is there - just need some info in the next two months to help me plan!

We visited there in April. The Fathom Adonia had a similar itinerary to the one Oceania does. We visited Cienfuegos as well, which I think that you will do. These were our first two stops, we did the ship excursions. By the time we got to Havana we had decided to avoid the excursions and go off on our own. There was no pressure from the cruise line to go one way or the other, but this was before the announcement that the rules were going to change.

A lengthy blog entry for Santiago de Cuba: http://paulwbenjamin.tumblr.com/post/162268143503/cuba-trip-day-6-santiago-de-cuba

A lengthy blog entry for Cienfuegos: http://paulwbenjamin.tumblr.com/post/162700035058/cuba-trip-day-7-cienfuegos

A cruise review: http://paulwbenjamin.tumblr.com/post/159808343743/cruise-review-fathom-adonia-to-cuba-april-2

1580 photos:

Thank you. I was wrong about going to Santiago de Cuba, as Viking's 2017 cruises don't go there, only the 2018 ones. They need to change their generic Cuba section on the website! Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your blog and viewing your pictures. I've made a note of your blog in case I'm lucky enough to get back sometime. We ARE going to Cienfuegos (first stop in Cuba), so I appreciate the information. At this point we're scheduled to tender there, which I hear isn't uncommon. It looks like cruise ships anchor south of the dock and I don't know where the tender will place us, so perhaps my next question won't be relevant. However, I was wondering if there was a change place at the dock, or any indication of how to get CUCs? I don't expect to need a lot, but I DO want some. I'm sure Viking will tell us if we ask, but knowing sooner would be good. Also, would you happen to know if Fathom had a license to go to Cuba, or provided Cuban visas for everyone, or how things worked when you went? Viking is talking as if we are expected to go on their excursions in Cuba (which, nicely, are at no extra cost) and is suggesting that if we want to explore independently, we should get a visa. I'm a little confused as to just what a cruise ship needs to do (if anything) to let Americans visit Cuba. I know how Norwegian does it (charges cruisers for individual visas, cruisers present visas when going out - either on an excursion or not) but that's about it. Then, of course, there are still requirements imposed by the U.S. under President Obama, but I think I understand those, and how to comply. As for changes, it appears the new administration has other priorities, so I don't expect any surprises there.

Thanks for all your good information and photos. I'm really looking forward to going to Cuba. So far, there have been a lot of challenges regarding this cruise, but it looks like it's now going as scheduled, and I can't wait.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Fathom obtained the visas for us, as part of the overall package. We received them when we checked in prior to boarding. After that it was our business what to do with it, group excursion, individual walking around, whatever. You must show the visa to Cuban immigration when entering. The other document that is relevant is the OFAC affadavit which tells the US government the nature of your visit.