any beaches close to the cruise terminal in havana?

hollytown

I will be going on a cuba cruise with rci this may. are there any beaches close to the cruise terminal? by close, I mean a short taxi ride. we will be staying overnight there. I know there are other things to see in cuba that are more beautiful than the beaches, and I do plan on doing those things, but I would also like to visit one of their beaches if possible. any help is greatly appreciated!

I haven't been to Cuba, so don't really know. However, I've read there is a Hop On Hop Off bus (Habana Bus) in Havana and one of the 3 lines goes to a beach, although I think you have to transfer to that line from the line that goes by the cruise terminal. I think the beaches are out of town, although it may be possible to find a bit of sand to the west of the Old Havana area.

You may not get too many responses here because a lot of people posting are Americans, and we're not really supposed to be going to Cuba to lie on a beach. I know that's a bit weird, but that's how it is, since we're going to Cuba using a People to People visa. Here's info I copied from another post, although I can't guarantee it's accurate:

The T3 linestops at Parc Centro, is $5 [not sure if that's CUC or USD, but assume CUC], and it gets on the highway and drives out to thebeaches. Very good and a little less than 2 hours. Then back to theship on T1 Bus.

NOTE: T1 stops at Parc Centro twice, once outbound (5 min. from theship) and again inbound (2 hours around the circle back to the ship). Oncefinish T3 route make sure get on right T1 that gets back to ship in 5m or maydo 2h tour again. Inbound T1 & outbound T1 stop on opposite sides of Parc Centro square so easy to see both stops; square not that big.

I haven't been to Cuba, so don't really know. However, I've read there is a Hop On Hop Off bus (Habana Bus) in Havana and one of the 3 lines goes to a beach, although I think you have to transfer to that line from the line that goes by the cruise terminal. I think the beaches are out of town, although it may be possible to find a bit of sand to the west of the Old Havana area.

You may not get too many responses here because a lot of people posting are Americans, and we're not really supposed to be going to Cuba to lie on a beach. I know that's a bit weird, but that's how it is, since we're going to Cuba using a People to People visa. Here's info I copied from another post, although I can't guarantee it's accurate:

The T3 linestops at Parc Centro, is $5 [not sure if that's CUC or USD, but assume CUC], and it gets on the highway and drives out to thebeaches. Very good and a little less than 2 hours. Then back to theship on T1 Bus.

NOTE: T1 stops at Parc Centro twice, once outbound (5 min. from theship) and again inbound (2 hours around the circle back to the ship). Oncefinish T3 route make sure get on right T1 that gets back to ship in 5m or maydo 2h tour again. Inbound T1 & outbound T1 stop on opposite sides of Parc Centro square so easy to see both stops; square not that big.

thanks for the info. I know that as americans we have to fulfill one of the "reasons" for traveling to cuba. since we will be there overnight, I was planning to do an educational excursion, but also wanted to stop by one of the beaches.

• 1 month later...

When your ship pulls up you will understand why no one goes to the beach. The area is full of oil and pollution. The hop on hop off bus is a joke. Our driver told us locals can wait hours for a bus because there are not a lot of cars. Also, the beach would be considered "recreation". As americans, we are by supposed to do things for recreation. That's being said, there is a beautiful beach about 2 hours away from havana