Ferry Info from Papeete to Moorea

jwindham

We are arriving very early morning 3 days before our cruise out of Papeete and are staying at the Hilton resort on Moorea for those 3 days. We know there is a ferry from Papeete to Moorea. My questions are do you have to pre purchase the tickets for the ferry before the day you arrive and are there taxis at the landing in Moorea to take us to the resort?

Thanks so much for any info. We go this coming January 2019. Julia

We just went to the ferry dock and bought a ticket for the next ferry. It's easier than expected. They put your luggage on a cart for loading and you can see it being loaded. There's a coffee shop upstairs where you can wait.

I am not sure. We walked across the street and rented a car at Avis. I would highly recommend doing so if you are able as it gave us so much freedom. If you contact them directly, they will give you a better price than the general Avis site. Many people also use the Hilton transfer service.

Timing was the reason. Both of them are quite similar in term of fare. The ride so short it doesn't really matter which one you take.

Teravau Schedule from Tahiti to Moorea

Monday06:4008:1011:3014:0015:5517:25Tuesday06:4008:1011:3014:0015:5517:25Wednesday06:4008:1011:3014:0015:5517:25Thursday06:4008:1011:3014:0015:5517:25Friday06:4008:1011:3013:0014:2515:5517:25Saturday07:1508:5511:4014:1015:50Sunday07:2008:5015:0516:3518:0519:30

We are arriving very early morning 3 days before our cruise out of Papeete and are staying at the Hilton resort on Moorea for those 3 days. We know there is a ferry from Papeete to Moorea. My questions are do you have to pre purchase the tickets for the ferry before the day you arrive and are there taxis at the landing in Moorea to take us to the resort?

Thanks so much for any info. We go this coming January 2019. Julia

Hi! We're doing the same thing in January of 2019. Which cruise are you on?

Came back 2 days ago after time at the Hilton on Moorea, Paul Gauguin Cruise and time on Vahine Island. We arrived into PPT early and took the taxi to the ferry. We arranged in advance with Albert's for a private transfer from the ferry to the Hilton, $40 for the two of us. They offered to stop at a market if we wanted food stuff.

Came back 2 days ago after time at the Hilton on Moorea, Paul Gauguin Cruise and time on Vahine Island. We arrived into PPT early and took the taxi to the ferry. We arranged in advance with Albert's for a private transfer from the ferry to the Hilton, $40 for the two of us. They offered to stop at a market if we wanted food stuff.

How long a trip is it from the ferry to the Hilton? Are there any options other than a private transfer? Would you be willing to share the contact information for Alberts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We too are looking at taking a ferry from Moorea terminal to the Hilton and would appreciate some advice.

Flight arrival to Papeete ariport at 5:05 am. I *know* - would prefer to arrive later but this is what it is.

Corrections or comments appreciated. Putting this together from other posts too

From reading other posts could be fast or slow getting luggage and through customs so maybe ready to take a taxi at 6:00 am ish

I believe taxis are more expensive before 06:00

I understand taxi will be waiting / available

15-30 minute drive to ferry terminal.

Cost xpf 2000 (also $USD20-30 if necessary)

Ferry tickets can be purchased at the ferry terminal. No advantage to buying ahead on-line.

It seems maybe could make three crossings (Monday Nov 12):

Terevau at 06:40, Aremiti Ferry2 07:20 or Terevau 08:10

Assuming all that is reasonably correct now my issue is: will there be taxis available at the ferry terminal on Moorea?

If the advice is that I should book a transfer rather than take a chance on a taxi then I have to select one of the ferry times above, i.e 7:20 or 8:10 and take our time leaving the airport or cooling our heels at the ferry terminal

What would you suggest?

For a transport service in Moorea that will meet you on arrival at the ferry terminal and take you anywhere in Moorea try Torea Nui Transports http://www.toreanui.com I have booked with them for transportation between the ferry terminal and the Hilton. The fare each way is 1000XPF per person. I don't recall where but Torea Nui was highly recommended by someone here on CC. I also researched taxis at the ferry but never found the answer so booked this. I hope someone chimes in with the news of taxis as can see it would be so much easier for you not having to pre-book the ferry before you arrive. Best wishes.

Thank-you, Petoonya. We would prefer a taxi if we knew they would be available rather than a prearranged transfer as a less stressful and worry-free not having to meet a certain sailing or wait around for a certain sailing.

Maybe will still hear from others a little later.

I have noted your transfer service as a plan B and appreciate you replying

Hi! We're doing the same thing in January of 2019. Which cruise are you on?

We're on the Marina leaving from Chile on Jan 3rd! Will you be on our cruise?

After coming into Tahiti we'll be taking the ferry over to Moorea for 3 days. Do the ferries leave from the same terminal? We'd really like to be able to take whatever ferry is leaving next, we don't have a preference as to which one. Of course the timing depends on whether there are taxis available or if we do have to arrange a transfer ahead of time.

Edited by Sea42

Very few taxis on Moorea ... your better using a transport shuttle. The Hilton can arrange or do it yourself and save a few bucks.

Personally I prefer renting a car at Avis across the street from the ferry terminal on Moorea. Nice to have wheels while your there for three days and then you simply drop off the car as your leaving. The ferry terminal on Tahiti is 100 yards away from the ships.

Heading over early morning and you don't need to worry about pre-tickets though I would purchase your return ahead of time if you know the ferry day/time you want to return on.

Only a few places within walking distance from the Hilton for eating though the nicer restaurants will pick you up free for dinner.

I also arrive at 5am & will be arranging transport on Moorea. What departure do you think we can make? I was thinking 8:10 but don’t want to wait around if an earlier departure is possible.

Simply go .... if you can make an earlier ferry go ... but if you don't no big deal, there are places to grab a coffee and pastries

• 4 months later...

Moorea bus.

We have a long day at Papeete, so I was considering catching the ferry to Moorea and then the public bus.

Not to go anywhere specific necessarily, but more as a look at the Island and perhaps to jump off somewhere for a bite to eat & a drink.

1. Does it matter if I catch a clockwise bus or an anti-clockwise bus;

2. Can you stay on for the whole circuit if you wish, or is there a changeover point somewhere;

3. Any suggestions where to jump off for a lunch;

4. If we had trouble getting a bus back to the ferry and needed to catch a taxi back from other side of the island, what would be an approximate cost.

PS: Not interested in renting a car.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Moorea bus.

We have a long day at Papeete, so I was considering catching the ferry to Moorea and then the public bus.

Not to go anywhere specific necessarily, but more as a look at the Island and perhaps to jump off somewhere for a bite to eat & a drink.

1. Does it matter if I catch a clockwise bus or an anti-clockwise bus;

2. Can you stay on for the whole circuit if you wish, or is there a changeover point somewhere;

3. Any suggestions where to jump off for a lunch;

4. If we had trouble getting a bus back to the ferry and needed to catch a taxi back from other side of the island, what would be an approximate cost.

PS: Not interested in renting a car.

Thanks.

The buses aren't very good about keeping on schedule.

I would suggest contacting Albert of Albert's transport (or another transport service). We used him for a transfer service from the ferry to our hotel but he will also do a highlights tour, take you up to Belvedere lookout, stop at the beach or the archeological sights, find a place for lunch or whatever else may interest you.

We did use a taxi from the Intercontinental Hotel to the ferry and it was $45. That is probably about 1/3 of the way around the island.

18 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks for the info.

I want to stay flexible and just decide on the day whether to go across.

Hence the bus question.

I hope you have a great time whatever you decide!

Spent 2 days in Moorea on a B2B cruise last month, but wanted an extra day there on a day to be spent in Papeete between cruises. Not meaning to rain on your parade but I quickly gave up on using a bus after looking into it. First of all It was difficult enough to get the ferry times to work within our confines. And since the buses run according to ferry times they are very infrequent. It's not like the usual HOHO where you can expect the next bus within 30 minutes. Often the bus drivers don't even know the ferry schedules as the ferry times are not precise. Both buses end up at Le Petit Village in the northwest part of the island. A popular restaurant in the vicinity is Snack Mahana, great food. If you get stuck in that area a ride back could be hard to come by but if you are willing to take the risk it's about $60. I'm not a risk taker when I cruise, and things in Tahiti are very laid back- not reliable schedules including buses.

Love Moorea. We used that extra day taking the ferry over and doing a day pass at the Hilton Moorea for $90pp with use of everything plus a fantastic lunch. It would have been nice to have the option to take it or leave it, but still grateful that we did it the way we did. We also had a great day jet skiing with Moorea Activities Center and another renting a car and driving the island.

It's wonderful to be able to wing it though and hope you get the chance.

Edited by Petoonya