Travel Insurance

jimlab2777

Hello

We going on a weekend cruise in Feb. We leaving out of NJ . Then we spending a week in Orlando after the cruise. Our biggest concern is what happens if the morning of our flight we have a snow storm and cant make the cruise later that after noon. So even if the airline would let us fly the next day we would still be able to do the Orlando part of the trip

Anyone recommend a travel insurance that would cover the cost of our cruise so we would not lose that money for missing it?

Many experienced cruisers will tell you to NEVER fly in the same day as your cruise begins, especially when bad weather is a good possibility. Changing your flight and spending one night in a hotel before your cruise may be cheaper than trip insurance. Another plus is reduced stress - you'll have a good night's rest and be ready to board and start enjoying yourself.

The insurance that would pay for your cruise if you miss it is readily available, either through your cruise line or from independent insurers - take a look a "InsureMyTrip.com", plug in your information and look at the options. Assuming you have health insurance that will cover you outside the US, you should be able to keep the cost down. Just make sure to read all the fine print to determine if what issues are covered. Insurance through the cruise line usually only makes sense if you are over age 65 or so, as they do not factor age in their rates while private insurers do.

There’s a whole section on Cruise Critic dedicated to travel insurance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

That said, I would never fly the day of my cruise. As an example, my daughter and I flew to Denver last Monday and landed in a lightening storm. As a result we had to sit on the plane out in the tarmac for 2-1/2 hours before the airport could let ground crews outside and we could get to the terminal. You just never know.

I'm flying out on a Monday for a cruise that starts on a Friday in September. This means I have to fly cross-country, and there are no non-stops between Sacramento and Miami. Is it overkill? Yes, but since I have never ever been to Miami, I want to explore the port for a few days.

ALWAYS GET A TRAVEL POLICY. Only made one claim, but the cost of a 7 day cruise for two was refunded within a month when a medical event stopped our vacation. That's primary reason people get a policy. What you don't think about is getting home should you have to lease cruise for any reason. ATTENTION weather is an "act of god", most policies don't cover "weather". If this is your concern be sure policy covers it.

Sadly we will not be able to fly in early or change our flight. Days off from work prevent that and I am not paying united $400 to change my flight to one day earlier already asked. We will get insurance and if we miss the cruise we will enjoy Orlando for the whole time and go back to a cruise later in the year. Its in gods hands now

ALWAYS GET A TRAVEL POLICY. Only made one claim, but the cost of a 7 day cruise for two was refunded within a month when a medical event stopped our vacation. That's primary reason people get a policy. What you don't think about is getting home should you have to lease cruise for any reason. ATTENTION weather is an "act of god", most policies don't cover "weather". If this is your concern be sure policy covers it.

Really?

You know what is best for everyone who will read this?

That is the answer for YOU, but not for everyone.

Yes, I agree that it is a good idea, but that does not make it always the best answer.

Sadly we will not be able to fly in early or change our flight. Days off from work prevent that and I am not paying united $400 to change my flight to one day earlier already asked. We will get insurance and if we miss the cruise we will enjoy Orlando for the whole time and go back to a cruise later in the year. Its in gods hands now

You have a great attitude!! Just go with the flow. :D

That is the answer for YOU, but not for everyone.

Correct, but this is for newbies. You being the expert could tell everyone that their standard medical coverage is not valid outside the USA, but they probably won't need coverage. An unlikely injury worse than a broken toe could get them and their party tossed off the ship. Getting home at their cost, again no need for this be put out there. Yes your right,

And it is not true that every ones medical coverage does not work outside the US.

Mine does. I used it in May in Sicily, and not only did my insurance work, they accepted my insurance card with no out of pocket costs to me.

Never say always. :D

There are exceptions. And people need to look at THEIR coverage, and THEIR needs.

Question for anyone: If you book your flight through the cruise line (perhaps also using a travel agent to book it), then will the cruise line pay to board you and fly you to the first port-of-call? If so, then OP: Did you book your air through the cruise line?

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience - and I travel a lot for work - it's when I try to cut things close that the airline goes haywire. "Oh, it'll be fine! I left 6 hours between arrival to when I need to be at X place!" *flight delayed for 7 hours*

Now, when I build in buffer time, everything runs smoothly. Go figure. I'm not superstitious, but I've had enough misses and close calls that I highly, HIGHLY recommend flying in day before (or a couple in winter....I live in Boston. Snow can screw things up REAL fast). I also have a wonderful TA and purchase my insurance through the agency. I'm skeptical of insurance through the cruise line, and I believe that the insurance company would be more interested in protecting the cruise line rather than me. I always use third party.

I will say this - you seem to have already packed your good attitude. :-) This will serve you quite well!