Leeway with Ages in Teen Program?

We're thinking of doing a cruise on the Norwegian Getaway. Our younger daughter will be 6 weeks from her 13th birthday. On Royal Caribbean last month I was able to sign a form to get her into the teen program (the age on RCCL is 12) a month before her 12th birthday. Is there any such leeway on Norwegian? She won't go with the 10-12 group. Can I get her into the 13 year old group? Thank you for your help.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

We cruise Norwegian all the time. When our schedule fell that we could only do a cruise with my son and his 13th Birthday was 2 weeks after sail date, we moved to Royal.

He had an amazing time on the Allure of the Seas and was part of the teen club.

We've since cruised Norwegian now that he is almost 14 and he loved Norwegians Teen Club also

I so get your dilemma and understand it completely. Our kids/teens are on vacation also and we need to look out for their interests as well as our own

I am concerned.... I booked this cruise for my daughter's 13th birthday and she is bringing a friend who is 14. The whole purpose and point of the cruise was to celebrate her birthday with her friend. They were really looking forward to going to the teen club to meet other people. Though, my daughter won't be turning 13 until a week after our cruise. But, we booked this cruise because we wanted these ports or the week of her birthday the Escape is going to the Eastern Caribbean. I thought it would be ok because on their sight it says, "Children turning thirteen (13) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the Entourage Program beginning embarkation evening." I may need to speak to a manager. We have spent over $5000 on this trip. And for it to be ruined over a policy that will keep my daughter and her friend apart. I'd much rather them hang out in the club than roam the ship. If they won't let my daughter into Entourage maybe they will let her friend stay with her in Splash?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is what it says:

If a 12 year old is registered for Splash Academy, it is understood that 12 year olds need special attention and programs; therefore the Dolphins Youth Counselors offer more mature games/theme nights and schedule Entourage Take-Overs allowing the Dolphins to enjoy the lounge, video games, air hockey, foosball, music videos and much more.

In addition, whether registered for Splash Academy or not, the 12 year olds are invited to attend some of the Teen Counselor hosted activities* that take place outside of the Entourage Teen Lounge.

*These activities are not part of the Dolphin drop off program and the 12 year olds can come and go as they please. Please check with the Teen Counselor for activities and time slots. The schedule may vary per ship and itinerary.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs/faq

As stated, NCL is pretty strict about not cross-pollinating age groups.

I am concerned.... I booked this cruise for my daughter's 13th birthday and she is bringing a friend who is 14. The whole purpose and point of the cruise was to celebrate her birthday with her friend. They were really looking forward to going to the teen club to meet other people. Though, my daughter won't be turning 13 until a week after our cruise. But, we booked this cruise because we wanted these ports or the week of her birthday the Escape is going to the Eastern Caribbean. I thought it would be ok because on their sight it says, "Children turning thirteen (13) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the Entourage Program beginning embarkation evening." I may need to speak to a manager. We have spent over $5000 on this trip. And for it to be ruined over a policy that will keep my daughter and her friend apart. I'd much rather them hang out in the club than roam the ship. If they won't let my daughter into Entourage maybe they will let her friend stay with her in Splash?

I spent over $5000 on our last cruise my kids kids are a year apart. 13 and 14 at the time, and they were in separate clubs. No leeway whatsoever. This cruise, next month, they are 15 and 16 and will be in same club. Don't count on the "manager" helping you.

Honestly, this issue will be a deal breaker. They're flexibility in accommodating my daughter who will be 13 a week after sailing is very important. Like I said, the whole purpose of the cruise was to celebrate her birthday. We allowed her to invite her friend. How awful to have to go to a separate club than your best friend for your birthday! Seriously, depending on how this issue is handled, it could ruin my child's birthday and we will never choose Norwegian again. We live in Florida and have cruised Carnival and Disney. Carnival allowed my 15yo, at the time, sister off the boat without parental permission!! As you can see, we aren't cruising with them anymore either. Might have to try another line after this.

Honestly, this issue will be a deal breaker. They're flexibility in accommodating my daughter who will be 13 a week after sailing is very important. Like I said, the whole purpose of the cruise was to celebrate her birthday. We allowed her to invite her friend. How awful to have to go to a separate club than your best friend for your birthday! Seriously, depending on how this issue is handled, it could ruin my child's birthday and we will never choose Norwegian again. We live in Florida and have cruised Carnival and Disney. Carnival allowed my 15yo, at the time, sister off the boat without parental permission!! As you can see, we aren't cruising with them anymore either. Might have to try another line after this.

NCL won't bend on the rule - have never heard one report about it. So either plan that they won't be in the same groups or cancel the trip. Trying to deal with it onboard will only meet with no different answer.

We wanted to give them ease of checking in and out of the club at their leisure. So they could go get ice cream any time they want. But knowing that they would spend 95% of their time in the club let's me know that they are safe. After the experience with my sister on Carnival, I don't need anyone letting my child off the boat or serving her alcohol.

We wanted to give them ease of checking in and out of the club at their leisure. So they could go get ice cream any time they want. But knowing that they would spend 95% of their time in the club let's me know that they are safe. After the experience with my sister on Carnival, I don't need anyone letting my child off the boat or serving her alcohol.

Sorry, but this is 100% your fault. She is turning 13 after the cruise, she will not be allowed in entourage. They aren't going to risk legal liability because you spent $5000 on a cruise. I'll have 3 teens in it in a few weeks, their older siblings are no longer allowed. Teens use the space mainly to meet up, but spend the majority of the cruise wandering anyway, sports deck, pool, restaurants... It's ironic that you find fault with Carnival breaking the rules, yet fault NCL for not breaking the rules.

What you just quoted said you thought it would be fine since "Children turning thirteen (13)... during the cruise", then you went on to say she doesn't turn 13 until AFTER the cruise. So why did you think it would be fine? Good grief.

They can have plenty of fun doing things outside the club. Personally, I'm pleased that there aren't a bunch of 12 year olds in the club with 17 year olds, but that's just me. There are DRASTIC differences in those ages, no matter how mature some of these parents think their pre-teen girls (or boys) might be. It sucks that you didn't research better before booking, but that's certainly not NCL's fault.

Take note next time so you don't book a party at a bar to celebrate her 21st birthday when she's only 20. LOL!

I know you think this is really funny but it isn't. I overlooked the word 'during' because we are celebrating her birthday during the cruise. Plus, I wouldn't think a week is that big of a difference. It's not like booking it at a bar at all because this is not a law it is a policy. Honestly, I wanted them both in Splash because I don't want them with your 17 yo. On other ships they have a young teen area and an older teen area.

. Plus, I wouldn't think a week is that big of a difference.

The problem is where do they draw the line at exceptions. Someone could say "well you let her in with a week left, you need to let my kid in with 2 weeks left"

My cousin turned 18 during a cruise a few years back on RCCL. They didn't let him in to adult only areas or the evening dance club even after his birthday. It was all based on the age at boarding.

I've seen kids meet up that never went to any of the clubs. They just find each other at activities around the ship. The larger ships have so much to do that even if it is just the 2 of them, they won't get bored.