Haines question

coltsgal1

We are in port in Haines 6:30am to 9pm want to do a good tour. DH wants to see the Hammer Museum--can we stop in there on our own so we don't have to be on the extended ships tour and then do something else?

I believe that the cruise port is located on the corner of Beach Road and Portage Drive in Haines (I've never actually seen a cruise ship docked in Haines. I've driven by that port a number of times and it looks like the picture of the port on the Haines government web page).

From there, the Hammer Museum is a mere half mile walk. Basically just follow Front Street North along the water (turn right coming out of the cruise terminal) until you get to Main St. Hang a left on Main, walk up the hill and the Hammer Museum is a small white building on the right.

I've passed by there a number of times, but I must admit it has never intrigued me to go inside. I have no idea what the museum is really like.

If you have decent mobility, you should be able to make the walk within 15 minutes from the Cruise terminal. Haines isn't a terribly big town.

Personally, as long as you can walk a half mile and a block or two up a hill, then I'd skip actually paying for an excursion that takes you to the museum.

If you are running short on supplies, there is an IGA grocery store just down the road from the hammer museum (probably another block or two). At least it was an IGA the last time I was in town 2 years ago.

Archived