Looking for help on Los Angeles please.

PEMCO007

Hi we have booked on a Hawaii cruise for christmas 2018. We are sailing with Princess from Los Angeles with 2 children 11,4 and grandparents. We are looking at staying in Los Angeles for 4 nights, which would give us 3 full days in the city.

I would be looking at doing Disney for one of those days, the other 2 we would like to do, walk of fame, Rodeo drive possibly a movie tour of some sort, my dad is a real lover of "old Hollywood movies". We are travelling from the UK and have not been to this part of the USA before so looking for some guidance on best areas to stay that are safe with children and easy to get around. We won't have a car and I have heard LA does not have the best public transport!

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Kind regards, x

Just some geography for you.

Disney is not in LA. It is in the city of Anaheim which is a good hour by car south of LA. Your 4year old will not be allowed in taxi or Uber/Lyft car without a booster/car seat because of strict California law. IF you don't rent your own car with car seat I am not sure how you will get around easily?

There is a bus that goes from LAX to the Disney resort hotels in Anaheim so that may be something for you to consider.

I would plan to stay near Disneyland and then book a Hollywood tour that meets your plans and will pick you up at your hotel. The info about child seats is correct. You can book a car service that will provide one. I have used limos.com several times and the site allows you to shop various companies and types of vehicles. Once you deposit they will tell you how to contact the company directly, which I will call a couple of times just to confirm they are bringing a seat. You shouldn't need one on the Hollywood tour. But I would double check.

If it fits in your price range I would try to stay at Grand Californian or alternatively any of the on site Disney properties. The GC has it's own entrance into California Adventure. You can enter that park earlier than most people and it's easy to go back to your room if somebody needs a nap.

Thank you. I realise Disneyland is in Anaheim and was thinking of booking a private transfer to the park for the day.

Disneyland is not a priorty tbh, we have been not been to this side of the USA before so I guess seeing some sights in LA is more important, so I think I would prefer not to stay in Disney and if we fancy it will just book a private transfer in.

Is there an area you would recommend or avoid?

Tia X

Good parts of the city are right next to bad parts.

As a local I’d avoid Disney at the holidays as it’s extremely crowded.

If Disney is out—

Santa Monica is both touristy and accessible to public transportation thru the metro system. (metro.net)

Collectively called The Colored Lines these will get you to some of the touristy areas.

-Chinese Theater is near the Hollywood and Vine Station Red Line Station.

-Universal Studios and Citywalk. There should be a shuttle across the street going up the hill.

-Union Station, Chinatown, Olvera Street are at Union Station. Don’t miss Philippe’s Original French Dip.

You’ll need to buy a TAP card, unfortunately it can take months to get a senior card, not worth the hoops to get one for a few days.

I googled ‘touristy things along the LA metro’ and found this and several more links.

https://m.discoverlosangeles.com/blog/go-metro-and-go-everywhere-la

ETA-many do avoid these lines but they are good if you want to go where they go :). Like any big city it gets an ‘interesting’ cross section of people. Safe enough but don’t get Tourist Brain.

BTW, we did the holiday Hawaiian cruise on Princess three times, and we enjoyed it. Hopefully Elua will be on your cruise (a duo who not only performed wonderful Hawaiian music every day, but they teach the hula and uke classes). If they aren't on your cruise, there will probably be another "Hawaiian ambassador duo" on yours.

Casting Disney aside for a bit, do you think we would be best staying in Santa Monica, Beverely Hills or Hollywood ? I see we can do a HOHO from Santa Monica but not sure if its easier to stay in one of the other two if we want to do Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame etc. Can you recommend any hotels in those areas, I know every city has its issues but would like something in a safe neighbourhood with children. We have 3 nights prior to cruise and 1 night post cruise. Any help gratefully received :) x

The Chinese Theater and walk of fame should take maybe 1/2 hour(unless you go to a movie) and is not something where you need to stay nearby.

I think maybe you need to read a bit more about things to see/do in LA .

Your 4 year old will need a booster in order to ride in taxis or Uber/Lyft cars but not on buses or trains.

I think many families stay in "Beverly Grove" as opposed to Beverly Hills which may not be the best spot without your own vehicle.

I would go to the LA forum of Trip Advisor and do some reading as they have very good info about hotels and activities.

Here is a link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Angeles_California.html

You don't have to join just to read info.

Trip Advisor is the sister site to this one for land vacations.

Casting Disney aside for a bit, do you think we would be best staying in Santa Monica, Beverely Hills or Hollywood ? I see we can do a HOHO from Santa Monica but not sure if its easier to stay in one of the other two if we want to do Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame etc. Can you recommend any hotels in those areas, I know every city has its issues but would like something in a safe neighbourhood with children. We have 3 nights prior to cruise and 1 night post cruise. Any help gratefully received :) x

I have a strong preference for Santa Monica for a multitude of reasons. 1) The weather is almost always perfect. 2) It is less urban than Hollywood or Beverly Hills and more upscale than Hollywood (which can seem a little seedy) and 3) (and maybe most importantly) There are so many sights and things to do, day and night, in the immediately surrounding area. The Third Street Promenade has shops, restaurants, street performers, nightlife, etc. The Santa Monica Pier has amusement rides. Palisades Park has tremendous ocean views and views of the pier and beach. And, of course, there is the beach. And it's a very short ride from the Venice Boardwalk--which is one of the more interesting places in the world...

It is easy to get around most of this on foot...

I have a whole list of hotels--though many, due to the class of hotel and location, tend to be a bit pricey...but, here goes:

Right on the beach, just east of the pier, Loews, Marriott LeMerigot, Shutters on the Beach and Casa Del Mar are great choices--sort of in that order with the Loews being closest to the Pier and Third Street...Along Ocean Avenue, across from Palisades Park and very close to the attractions, there are the Ocean View, the Shore Hotel and the Georgian..all are nice...The Wyndham is just off the Pier and near the eastern terminus of Third Street. Ask for a room on a higher floor or away from the freeway. Near the western end of Third Street is the stately old Fairmont Miramar, the Huntley and the budget suites CarMar (a 1950s garden apartment building converted to a suites hotel--old and not in the same class as the others, but often a comparative deal). Two brand new hotels just opened a little inland of Third Street--at 5th and Colorado--both right next to the Metro Station--a Marriott Courtyard and a Hampton Inn. A little less ideally suited (wrong side of the freeway and a little longer walk to things are the Doubletree and the LeMeridien Delfina.

There may be a couple I've missed, though there are some others not as nice ...I would basically stick to that list for Santa Monica...Without a car, you would want to be in that area--extremely convenient, walkable and fun. You could take a tour or HOHO bus to see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. and find lots to do the rest of your time just in the immediate area...

Have fun...

I have a strong preference for Santa Monica for a multitude of reasons. 1) The weather is almost always perfect. 2) It is less urban than Hollywood or Beverly Hills and more upscale than Hollywood (which can seem a little seedy) and 3) (and maybe most importantly) There are so many sights and things to do, day and night, in the immediately surrounding area. The Third Street Promenade has shops, restaurants, street performers, nightlife, etc. The Santa Monica Pier has amusement rides. Palisades Park has tremendous ocean views and views of the pier and beach. And, of course, there is the beach. And it's a very short ride from the Venice Boardwalk--which is one of the more interesting places in the world...

It is easy to get around most of this on foot...

I have a whole list of hotels--though many, due to the class of hotel and location, tend to be a bit pricey...but, here goes:

Right on the beach, just east of the pier, Loews, Marriott LeMerigot, Shutters on the Beach and Casa Del Mar are great choices--sort of in that order with the Loews being closest to the Pier and Third Street...Along Ocean Avenue, across from Palisades Park and very close to the attractions, there are the Ocean View, the Shore Hotel and the Georgian..all are nice...The Wyndham is just off the Pier and near the eastern terminus of Third Street. Ask for a room on a higher floor or away from the freeway. Near the western end of Third Street is the stately old Fairmont Miramar, the Huntley and the budget suites CarMar (a 1950s garden apartment building converted to a suites hotel--old and not in the same class as the others, but often a comparative deal). Two brand new hotels just opened a little inland of Third Street--at 5th and Colorado--both right next to the Metro Station--a Marriott Courtyard and a Hampton Inn. A little less ideally suited (wrong side of the freeway and a little longer walk to things are the Doubletree and the LeMeridien Delfina.

There may be a couple I've missed, though there are some others not as nice ...I would basically stick to that list for Santa Monica...Without a car, you would want to be in that area--extremely convenient, walkable and fun. You could take a tour or HOHO bus to see Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. and find lots to do the rest of your time just in the immediate area...

Have fun...

Thank you Steve, I was hoping for your input :). I have noticed posts from you before so knew I would get a thorough response. Just a quick query, what would you suggest 1 night post cruise? We have a late flight home, and would be off the ship relatively early so would have a day and half to wander around. We probably just want somewhere to wander get a nice bite to eat in a good part of town not too far away from airport. TIA xx

Thank you Steve, I was hoping for your input :). I have noticed posts from you before so knew I would get a thorough response. Just a quick query, what would you suggest 1 night post cruise? We have a late flight home, and would be off the ship relatively early so would have a day and half to wander around. We probably just want somewhere to wander get a nice bite to eat in a good part of town not too far away from airport. TIA xx

Not far from LAX?

Look at:

1) Marina Del Rey--lots of hotels: Jamaica Bay Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Foghorn Harbor Inn, Marriott, Inn at Venice Beach, Venice Beach House--Very nice area, lots of restaurants (a personal favorite is C&O Trattoria on Washington near the beach). You can stroll or rent bikes...around the Marina or up the Venice Boardwalk...Only a few minutes from LAX but another world...

2) Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach--South of the airport, on the beach. Redondo Beach Crowne Plaza or the Portofinop are good choices--right near the Redondo Pier and Marina. Also, lots of small hotels in the area, some good, some bad...Read reviews carefully--you probably want to be near the beach and restaurants...

Good luck...

• 4 weeks later...

If you belong to the auto club, they have a free travel guide (Southern Cal/Nevada) that should give you plenty of ideas of places to sightsee, and has maps, hotels info, etc.

Make sure to check with us locals about areas you are considering to stay in. As Sadie mentioned, there are good areas right next to bad areas.

If you’re staying around the Hollywood area an interesting place to go are the La Brea Tar pits. Free to walk around. Small admission price to tour the museum.

Even if not staying there it's worth a few hours. We just took our grandkids (10 & 7) in June and we all loved it. We took them to the Hollywood walk of fame, also. Interesting, tacky, and worth about an hour.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a side note from a former "local". The traffic is a big part in the decision on where to stay. If you stay in Santa Monica and are trying to get to BH or Hollywood it will be a long ride in LA traffic. I suggest staying in West Hollywood or Hollywood and that will put you closer to the Walk of Fame, Hollywood BLVD and try to avoid traveling at peak rush hour times. Give yourself an hour to get anywhere. If you are cruising out of San Pedro the fish market there is fantastic! Right on the water you can choose from a huge variety of fresh seafood and they cook it there for you to enjoy. The smoked swordfish is delicious.