Best Alaska Cruise

MamaMia4

I would look at the itiniary first, and then see what ships visit the ports that you want. For me, I want to see Glacier Bay and take my husband on an excursion up Tracy Arm. Even though August tends to be wetter than May, less chance for us to get iced out of Tracy Arm. For R/T inside passage, better views leaving out of Vancouver rather than Seattle. I really like the book by Frommer's called Alaska Cruises & Ports Of Call. Alaska is very port intensive. Save money to do excursions. Happy planning.

I agree with CruiserBruce. The best Alaska cruise means different things to different people.

I would look at the itinerary to find ones that interest you and then start looking at cruise lines that sail it.

There is a wide range of lines that now sail Alaska including mainstream, premium and luxury lines and all sorts of size ships.

Also no perfect time to go to Alaska. I have sailed Alaska April thru September. I would pick a date that works well for your schedule.

Summer months tend to be more crowded in ports then early and late in the season.

Keith

Okay I need info people best Alaska Cruise what time of the year and best ship. Looking at taking my son that’s will be 18 when we do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How would we know what is the best AK cruise for you. We do not know anything about you. I can almost guarantee that the cruises that were the best for me would not be the best for you as my tastes are different from most AK cruisers - very small ships and flexibility of travel.

DON

Okay I need info people best Alaska Cruise what time of the year and best ship. Looking at taking my son that’s will be 18 when we do this.

I agree with the other posts. There is no "best" that fits everyone. You can do smaller vessels that give you access to remote ports with personalized excursions up to a newer mega-ship with more amenities and nightlife than you can probably squeeze in.

My recommendation is to research the ports and excursions first and see what interests you all most. Once you decide on the ports, then see which ships visit those ports and, more importantly, spend the most time in the ports of interest to you. Some ships may only spend 4-5 hours in a port while others may by in port 10-12 hours.

Time of year also makes a difference - May and early June usually has drier weather, less crowds and more snow on the mountains. July and early August is peak season if you want to see salmon and bears, but crowds and pricing are also higher. Mid-August to September has more rain, shorter days, less crowds and cheaper prices.

If you want to add a land tour and see Denali, realize that the full road into the park doesn't usually open until June 8. Also, plan on spending at least 2 nights at Denali to be able to do the longer tours into the park.

Everyone is different, but I prefer a one-way cruise over a round trip since you usually get at least one extra port over the round-trip cruises. I also prefer Northbound over Southbound since I like the feeling of sailing to Alaska and watching the scenery get more impressive each day.

One last thing - Alaska is not cheap. If you are used to Caribbean cruises, be prepared for some "sticker shock", especially with excursions. Independent operators may not be much , if any, cheaper than the cruise tours, but usually provide you with more personalized service, a smaller group and possibly longer touring time. Alaska is worth the price, in my opinion.

Oh dear lord people, rather than picking me apart scroll past. Forget I asked [emoji849]

Wow!!! I didn't see anyone "picking you apart" and thought some great advice was given to you. If you don't want to research to see what interests you, or don't care what you do, just pick one that fits your timeframe and budget.

Edited by JT1962

My advice is to get a travel agent who specializes in cruises to help you on this.

We don't know you and when you ask for a recommendation for the best line no one can answer that for you without knowing your interests, budget (there is a significant different in pricing between all the lines sailing Alaska as lines include luxury lines, premium lines, mainstream lines, boutique lines and more) and each line varies in on board amenities.

What one person consider best another person might not care for.

Keith

SO SORRY THAT THIS IS SO LONG!

Though I haven't yet been to Alaska, I have been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks. I think what some of the others are trying to say is that there are so many variables. I can't tell you which cruise is best for you, but I can tell you what I have found, though much of it is subjective.

1. Most people I know who have been to Alaska have said that it is best to do a cruise that also has a land tour. (part land trip, part cruise). To do this, means you would need to choose a cruise that either starts (or ends) in Alaska. I assume the airfare would be more than if you just flew in and out of Seattle, but haven't priced it out.

2. July seems to be the most costly month (at least in terms of cruises). The cost differential between a July 1st cruise and an Aug 26 cruise on one of the cruise lines I looked at was almost $6,000 per person!

3. Best time to visit is between mid-May to mid-September, though, depending on what you prioritize, whether you want to go closer to May or Sept would be subjective. Weather is warmer (obviously) in the summer, but it is also wetter as the summer progresses. Daylight is longest at start of summer (late June). July is supposedly best weather-wise, but there are apparently lots of mosquitos out then. July through mid-Sept is best time to see bears, if that is something you want to do, though I believe I read that the closer to Sept. the better (though I may be mis-remembering). Best time to see whales is June to mid-Sept., though June-July is best chance to see Humpbacks. If you plan to go hiking, you should wait until July to visit. The later in the year you go, the better your chance of seeing the Northern Lights, though even in mid-September, you may not be able to see them yet. Lastly, best time also depends on what glacier you want to see. Most of the things I read suggest that you want to look for an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is another very popular glacier. The itinerary I am choosing goes to Glacier Bay and, though it is a long excursion, I can go to Tracy Arm as well. If you do a search in this forum you can see lots of posts comparing the different glaciers. For me, since Glacier Bay is a priority, I chose a cruise that goes in August ships are more likely to be able to sail near it.

4. Cruise Lines - I can't really tell you which is the best since I have no experience going to Alaska, but here is what I found. Just FYI, the prices I got were for 6 people for conceirge class or above, except for DCL, where I looked at balcony cabins. Disney cost about the same or more but is top-notch everything (but no special perks). Princess and Celebrity both have several itineraries (though I don't think Celebrity goes to Glacier Bay). I have never been on either so can't speak as to service. NCL has three choices--the Jewel, Pearl and Bliss. The Jewel sails out of Vancouver and has cruisetours available. The other two are out of Seattle. Bliss is brand new (not even sailing yet) and was most expensive, Jewel was over $5k less than Bliss and $2k less than Pearl (again, for a family of six). Bliss will have a giant glass viewing wall, as it was built for Alaska. I think Princess, Celebrity and NCL are comparable, though some have set dinner times and some have flex times. Holland Cruise Line, which I did not look at, may be an option for you as well, since you are not traveling with any young children.

Hope this info helps!

As someone mentioned, Alaska is much more port intensive than other cruise areas. So, I'd say a one-way itinerary from Vancouver to Seward/Anchorage (or the other way around, it doesn't matter which direction you go) is better than a round trip. You get more time in port typically. That allows you to do more (or even some) excursions that you might not have enough time for if you have a round trip cruise. For example, I want to do whale watching. There's a whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour that looks perfect for what I want to do. The problem is, it starts 30 minutes after my boat docks and ends 30 minutes before the scheduled time to leave. That's cutting it REALLY close and I'm not sure I'll make it (either down to the dock to the meeting area or back onto the ship in time).

Plus, the one-way trips tend to take you into Glacier Bay, which I think is a real highlight of the area and a lot of the one-way trips have that on their schedule.

While I don't want to offend our OP I would suggest that they spend some time quickly reading the stickies at the top of this forum -- the 2015, 2016 and 2017 trip reports. A little time skimming them will answer so many questions -- what you would find interesting, what you don't have any interest in seeing -- and will make that decision regarding what itinerary and cruise line so much easier.

SO SORRY THAT THIS IS SO LONG!

Though I haven't yet been to Alaska, I have been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks. I think what some of the others are trying to say is that there are so many variables. I can't tell you which cruise is best for you, but I can tell you what I have found, though much of it is subjective.

1. Most people I know who have been to Alaska have said that it is best to do a cruise that also has a land tour. (part land trip, part cruise). To do this, means you would need to choose a cruise that either starts (or ends) in Alaska. I assume the airfare would be more than if you just flew in and out of Seattle, but haven't priced it out.

2. July seems to be the most costly month (at least in terms of cruises). The cost differential between a July 1st cruise and an Aug 26 cruise on one of the cruise lines I looked at was almost $6,000 per person!

3. Best time to visit is between mid-May to mid-September, though, depending on what you prioritize, whether you want to go closer to May or Sept would be subjective. Weather is warmer (obviously) in the summer, but it is also wetter as the summer progresses. Daylight is longest at start of summer (late June). July is supposedly best weather-wise, but there are apparently lots of mosquitos out then. July through mid-Sept is best time to see bears, if that is something you want to do, though I believe I read that the closer to Sept. the better (though I may be mis-remembering). Best time to see whales is June to mid-Sept., though June-July is best chance to see Humpbacks. If you plan to go hiking, you should wait until July to visit. The later in the year you go, the better your chance of seeing the Northern Lights, though even in mid-September, you may not be able to see them yet. Lastly, best time also depends on what glacier you want to see. Most of the things I read suggest that you want to look for an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is another very popular glacier. The itinerary I am choosing goes to Glacier Bay and, though it is a long excursion, I can go to Tracy Arm as well. If you do a search in this forum you can see lots of posts comparing the different glaciers. For me, since Glacier Bay is a priority, I chose a cruise that goes in August ships are more likely to be able to sail near it.

4. Cruise Lines - I can't really tell you which is the best since I have no experience going to Alaska, but here is what I found. Just FYI, the prices I got were for 6 people for conceirge class or above, except for DCL, where I looked at balcony cabins. Disney cost about the same or more but is top-notch everything (but no special perks). Princess and Celebrity both have several itineraries (though I don't think Celebrity goes to Glacier Bay). I have never been on either so can't speak as to service. NCL has three choices--the Jewel, Pearl and Bliss. The Jewel sails out of Vancouver and has cruisetours available. The other two are out of Seattle. Bliss is brand new (not even sailing yet) and was most expensive, Jewel was over $5k less than Bliss and $2k less than Pearl (again, for a family of six). Bliss will have a giant glass viewing wall, as it was built for Alaska. I think Princess, Celebrity and NCL are comparable, though some have set dinner times and some have flex times. Holland Cruise Line, which I did not look at, may be an option for you as well, since you are not traveling with any young children.

Hope this info helps!

That’s just what i was looking for other people’s experiences; thank you for taking the time. It’s helped me tremendously! Have fun on your cruise; we head to the Mexican Rivera in May

If your son is 18, I'm going to say Princess might be a good choice to look at.

My opinion is Glacier Bay is a major priority if it's your first time to Alaska. Princess and Holland have the most slots for Glacier Bay.

Princess is more old school, British classy (some people find it stuffy). First time I went to Alaska on Princess, was senior year in high school. I LOVED it. So far from anything I'd experienced before. I like set dining times because the staff pics up on my quirks and preferences, so I feel like I'm extra cared for. It's just little things like having a coke already there for me before I arrive so I don't have to order it. Extra sugars. Putting in an order for 6 lobsters (yes, I try to eat my cruise fare back) before I arrive. With set dining times, it dovetails nicely with the evening show and I just plan around that.

I'm going on the Bliss on Norwegian. While it's nice to not have to pack a set of dress clothes, I really didn't mind it. Some people refuse to wear a tie (you don't have to; a blazer and collared shirt looks fine). Some people want to be able to eat whenever they want, and have more choices of restaurants. I wouldn't mind more choices for food, but I dislike paying extra for it. Takes the fun out of cruising (see the above where I'll eat 6 lobster tails with no guilt and nothing extra out of pocket). Norwegian doesn't even have lobster night anymore. They don't have a lot of different shows either. A friend we normally vacation with isn't going on the cruise with us because they went not too long ago and felt Norwegian was really blah. Not bad. Just a real let down after having done Disney before it. The included meals weren't anything memorable, service was just adequate, etc. Everyone I've personally known who's gone on Norwegian just kind of shrugs their shoulders at it. They don't say it's bad, but it's far from their first choice.

Disney is like a cut above Princess. I suppose more on the par of Celebrity or Holland. My parents have been on Celebrity (not sure about Holland) right after a Disney cruise (with us). They said Disney is hands down better in terms of food and service. It helps if you like Disney, but it's still somewhat subtle in many ways. It's like a high class ship, with Disney touches if you look for them. Their crowd management is the best, bar none. There's no crash of passengers switching from dining to show and vice versa. It just all flows really well. And the themed dining rooms are really fun. Stuff is even animated. Like chandeliers that look like flowers and "bloom" throughout the course of the meal so it's fully opened by the end. YouTube Animator's Palate. Words don't do it justice. The bathrooms have tubs, and are sectioned off, so someone can take a shower while another uses the toilet. It's like two half bathrooms. First time I went on Disney was in college. I like Disney, but not a super fan or anything. It was my favorite cruise (Wonder) for a long, long while... until it got beaten by another Disney cruise decades later (Fantasy).

I haven't been on any new Carnival ship. For the older ones, it's a fight with Norwegian for last place. Probably wins. It's more a party and get drunk type line for cheap IMO. Great for some people, but that's not me. For a hilarious review of a Carnival cruise, see:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/p_570_11488_cruising_with_theme_park_review_carnival_ecstasy_review_-_tprs_klassy_kruise_2012

Edited by codex57

If your son is 18, I'm going to say Princess might be a good choice to look at.

My opinion is Glacier Bay is a major priority if it's your first time to Alaska. Princess and Holland have the most slots for Glacier Bay.

Princess is more old school, British classy (some people find it stuffy). First time I went to Alaska on Princess, was senior year in high school. I LOVED it. So far from anything I'd experienced before. I like set dining times because the staff pics up on my quirks and preferences, so I feel like I'm extra cared for. It's just little things like having a coke already there for me before I arrive so I don't have to order it. Extra sugars. Putting in an order for 6 lobsters (yes, I try to eat my cruise fare back) before I arrive. With set dining times, it dovetails nicely with the evening show and I just plan around that.

I'm going on the Bliss on Norwegian. While it's nice to not have to pack a set of dress clothes, I really didn't mind it. Some people refuse to wear a tie (you don't have to; a blazer and collared shirt looks fine). Some people want to be able to eat whenever they want, and have more choices of restaurants. I wouldn't mind more choices for food, but I dislike paying extra for it. Takes the fun out of cruising (see the above where I'll eat 6 lobster tails with no guilt and nothing extra out of pocket). Norwegian doesn't even have lobster night anymore. They don't have a lot of different shows either. A friend we normally vacation with isn't going on the cruise with us because they went not too long ago and felt Norwegian was really blah. Not bad. Just a real let down after having done Disney before it. The included meals weren't anything memorable, service was just adequate, etc. Everyone I've personally known who's gone on Norwegian just kind of shrugs their shoulders at it. They don't say it's bad, but it's far from their first choice.

Disney is like a cut above Princess. I suppose more on the par of Celebrity or Holland. My parents have been on Celebrity (not sure about Holland) right after a Disney cruise (with us). They said Disney is hands down better in terms of food and service. It helps if you like Disney, but it's still somewhat subtle in many ways. It's like a high class ship, with Disney touches if you look for them. Their crowd management is the best, bar none. There's no crash of passengers switching from dining to show and vice versa. It just all flows really well. And the themed dining rooms are really fun. Stuff is even animated. Like chandeliers that look like flowers and "bloom" throughout the course of the meal so it's fully opened by the end. YouTube Animator's Palate. Words don't do it justice. The bathrooms have tubs, and are sectioned off, so someone can take a shower while another uses the toilet. It's like two half bathrooms. First time I went on Disney was in college. I like Disney, but not a super fan or anything. It was my favorite cruise (Wonder) for a long, long while... until it got beaten by another Disney cruise decades later (Fantasy).

I haven't been on any new Carnival ship. For the older ones, it's a fight with Norwegian for last place. Probably wins. It's more a party and get drunk type line for cheap IMO. Great for some people, but that's not me. For a hilarious review of a Carnival cruise, see:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/p_570_11488_cruising_with_theme_park_review_carnival_ecstasy_review_-_tprs_klassy_kruise_2012

That is all really awesome information! We’ve always stirred clear of Disney because kids other than mine drive me crazy.

any cruise to Alaska for an 18 year old will be a wonderful experience. If neither of you have traveled to Alaska before...pick the cruise that fits your schedule and price range. If 3 or 4 cruise lines fall into place, then look at itinerary. Then do research and ask questions or just be surprised....IMHO

Quite frankly, best laid plans for a cruise or for any vacation can quickly be turned upside down. So sometimes being to prepared can be a determent.

So if you want to make it simple..... it is just book the cruise & air with the line. Book the excursions with the ship. And just sit back and enjoy the ride.......

Enjoy....