Say it ain't so... Tyler Grey leaves the Escape and NCL?

sid_9169

I read something about this, too. Vacation was discounted for two reasons:

--Someone from the corporate office (Julie) who no longer works as a CD, was doing it this week.

--Tyler had posted about his schedule recently and it included him working the Escape this week.

I really liked Silas. I wonder if they would bring him back? I think he might have went to corporate. He was our CD on both the Escape in 2016 and the Getaway last year.

He’s launching the Bliss.

Edit: well, at least that was the plan. I’m sure this event shakes things up.

I don't understand the fascination with the cruise director.

Do you understand any aspect of a cruise that people enjoy? I suspect if the water slides disappeared overnight, there would be a thread called “Say it ain’t so... no more slides on the Escape?”, and we’d all be wondering what happened.

Julie was the cruise director for the sailing last week on the Escape, with Dave the assistant CD. She was quite bad at it, basically just making announcements in the morning and after shows. Dave did all the events and was pretty entertaining, made me wonder why he wasn't the CD.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Is Julie the CD that was on the Breakaway the first year? If so, she was awful

Yes - probably the most polished CD I’ve ever experienced... some like that style, some don’t. But based on her success I think it’s unfair to dismiss anything as “awful”.

I really liked Silas. I wonder if they would bring him back? I think he might have went to corporate. He was our CD on both the Escape in 2016 and the Getaway last year.

Silas is on vacation. He is the opening cruise director on the Bliss!

I don't understand the fascination with the cruise director.[/

A good cruise director makes a cruise for me. And in my opinion, Tyler Gray was the best cd I have ever experienced in my 18 cruises.

I agree. We have had a couple that really were fantastic but 40 plus cruises and none that have made the cruise much better or much worse. Let's just say, I can't remember a single one by name, so obviously they didn't leave a lasting impressing.

I hope the Escape gets Andre instead, or is he on another ship? We had him on the Escape in October (covering Tyler's leave I'm assuming) and he was fantastic. I have no idea when that man actually slept as he was everywhere.

I would have previously said that the CD is neither here nor there in my enjoyment of a cruise, until I could compare a bad CD (Clare on the Epic) with an amazing one (Andre on the Escape). Now I will agree a good CD is important!

I agree. We have had a couple that really were fantastic but 40 plus cruises and none that have made the cruise much better or much worse. Let's just say, I can't remember a single one by name, so obviously they didn't leave a lasting impressing.

This.

The best we had was our first cruise (Kyle on the Gem 2013) I can't remember any of the others really. It certainly wouldn't bother me if a certain Cruise Director was or wasn't scheduled to be on a cruise I was going on.

Julie was the cruise director for the sailing last week on the Escape, with Dave the assistant CD. She was quite bad at it, basically just making announcements in the morning and after shows. Dave did all the events and was pretty entertaining, made me wonder why he wasn't the CD.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I've sailed with Julie before, and this was a very different experience. Agree, we barely saw her. I suspect things went south with Tyler the prior week and she was a very last minute replacement. The assistant CD was just promoted, and it sounded like he was off to another ship.

Should have been on the Dawn out of NY to Canada October 2010 with Matt Baker. He’s what kept me cruising with NCL. He was fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you understand any aspect of a cruise that people enjoy? I suspect if the water slides disappeared overnight, there would be a thread called “Say it ain’t so... no more slides on the Escape?”, and we’d all be wondering what happened.

I too don't understand the fascination with who the cruise director is and even less so the captain or any other personnel who are on my cruise. Your example of water slides is false equivalence. Most of my experience is on Princess where I even heard people who picked their cruises based on not just the cruise director but some even the maitre d'. Seem strange to me. I have never had a bad cruise director in 9 cruises and only one crappy ill-tempered captain.

I hope the Escape gets Andre instead, or is he on another ship? We had him on the Escape in October (covering Tyler's leave I'm assuming) and he was fantastic. I have no idea when that man actually slept as he was everywhere.

I would have previously said that the CD is neither here nor there in my enjoyment of a cruise, until I could compare a bad CD (Clare on the Epic) with an amazing one (Andre on the Escape). Now I will agree a good CD is important!

Andre moved to the Getaway from the Escape after Halloween of 2017. He is my favorite CD. You can follow him on Facebook----Andre at Sea.

I read yesterday, from a credible source that Tyler has left as cruise director of the Escape. Has anyone else heard anything regarding his departure?

So does anyone know why Tyler is gone?

I thought she was awful also, the worst of every CD I ever had in fact.

I am in the camp that doesn't remember the CD's names and they really don't make or break a cruise. But Julie was the one exception. First that I remember her name, and second that she was too overbearing to the point of being somewhat annoying.