Bringing wine aboard Viking cruises

Go2now

I forgot to mention you also get free wine or beer with lunch and dinner. I liked the white, never tried the red as I don't drink red. You may like their wines also.

There is also champagne out at breakfast if you want that, it is on the buffet.

Plus there's no "attitude" about bringing wine aboard or even to dinner! On our 2012 Rhone River cruise the guys often bought wine in town or at the vineyards we visited and brought it to dinner - no corkage fee and no attitude about them opening the bottles and serving us! Plus the guys bought red and one of our fellow travelers only drank white and waiters would pour their white for her and our red for the rest of our table.

Completely different than ocean cruising!!

Same thing with beer. Our Viking 'Tulips & Windmills' cruise stopped at a couple of ports in Belgium and my husband was very taken with the Belgian beer. He stopped in one store and purchased several varieties to enjoy onboard and share with our friends.

Becki

If you take it to dinner do they charge a corkage fee?

If they would be giving you theirs anyway it seems a savings to them if you drink your own so hopefully they don't penalize you with that fee.

Edited by Sparky333
added a sentence

If you take it to dinner do they charge a corkage fee?

If they would be giving you theirs anyway it seems a savings to them if you drink your own so hopefully they don't penalize you with that fee.

Nope, no corkage fee either. Isn't that delightful? :)

Yes, rjscott is absolutely correct - NO corkage charge and nothing in the frig!!!!

Sorry I forgot to mention beer - and you could actually bring anything to drink on board - you do not go through security - no one looking into your bags!! no taking off your shoes!!

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Peg,

You are so funny! But, it does come close. I remember one ocean cruise where, upon returning from port, I had to open a little water canteen I carried in order that security could 'sniff' it to make sure I wasn't smuggling booze back onboard. <sigh>

Becki

rjscott ~ WOW! a smuggler - and I'm sure you looked like one!!!

I know security is important on the big ships but sometimes it just gets SO silly!!! On a Med cruise DH bought wine in Tuscany - he knew they'd confiscate it until the end of the cruise and yes, they did! (we enjoyed it during the land part of our trip!) It was just so silly - we could bring 2 bottle on at embarcation, but after that they'd keep the bottles until the last day - so silly!!

Another reason I enjoy River Cruising!!!!

Peg, yes, I do stand out as a smuggler! :p But, it really is silly. You know, when we first started ocean cruising, my mom lived in Miami and we took a bottle of gin onboard b/c her husband liked a cocktail in the cabin b/f dinner. No big deal. Then, on our second cruise, we were in the Dominican Republic and went to a folkloric show, where we were served a rum drink called Bermudez. It was drunk straight or on the rocks and was so smooth. It was sold in small, tall bottles, and we decided to buy a couple of bottles to take back to the ship. No big deal. But, then little by little, it has tightened up to the point of the passenger feeling like a criminal and that is just wrong. On Viking, even though my husband brought some beers back onboard, there were times he also bought some in the lounge. And, I think on the major ocean lines, most people who would bring liquor onboard would do the same. They just want the freedom to have a drink in their cabin while they dress for dinner or relax after touring. And you're right. It really makes river cruising that much more enjoyable!

Becki

Becki

We brought some wine (for me) and scotch (for my husband) on board our last Viking cruise. We borrowed a wine glass from the lounge, no issues. We would even take our drinks to the lounge during the evening presentation by the CD.

If you're doing a Viking cruise, I highly recommend you look into the Silver Spirits package. Unlimited, anytime, any type, any bottle on board, booze. And it works exactly that way. They also have a wine list, that you can order from instead of drinking what they are pouring for dinner and other meals. We drank several bottles of a very nice Czech Republic Red. BTW, the free wine and beer are excellent.

Just to clarify about the Silver Spirits package, though; each party in a cabin must purchase the package. It cannot be shared. So, if you like premium spirits and wine, and drink quite a bit of it, it may be worth it to you. But, for most, I'd say not.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking forward to our Viking River Cruise this August... Danube Waltz. We are evaluating the beverage package and looking for practical experience of others. Would we feel comfortable bringing our own wine to the lounge in the evenings? I understand wine is included at dinner and/or we can bring our own. It's the other moments out and about the ship that I am most curious about. Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

We are considering a Viking Cruise in a few months and are wondering if the Spirits Package is worth the cost.

Can someone tell me the approx. cost of a premium mixed drink in the lounge so that I can figure out whether the package is worth it? Specifically say what would be the cost of a Ketel One (or Grey Goose) Martini or for a Jack Daniels and Water.

Also, I know that wine is included, and you can bring your on onboard, but what is the quality of the wine served? Is the White Wine sweet? We prefer dry wines and don't care for any sweet wine.

Thanks

We are considering a Viking Cruise in a few months and are wondering if the Spirits Package is worth the cost.

Can someone tell me the approx. cost of a premium mixed drink in the lounge so that I can figure out whether the package is worth it? Specifically say what would be the cost of a Ketel One (or Grey Goose) Martini or for a Jack Daniels and Water.

Also, I know that wine is included, and you can bring your on onboard, but what is the quality of the wine served? Is the White Wine sweet? We prefer dry wines and don't care for any sweet wine.

Thanks

You should post this on the main River Cruise thread and you will get more replies than on the Ports Thread ;).