How to use the shuttle bus to get to Edinburgh

There was quite a lot of talk on the forum last year about the shuttle bus in South Queensferry for Edinburgh. Some people felt it wasn't always available but all the times I've been volunteering this year it has been there throughout the day. The cost is £10 / $15 /15 euros per person return and the bus leaves when it is full. Today when I was at the pier, there were 3x51-seater coaches and 3 smaller vans.

Here are some photos to guide you.

The buses park at the top of the pier and to your left. Here is the operator showing the board. You pay at the coach:

13974853906_8e0ec329b9.jpg

The coaches depart every ten minutes or so at busy times and it takes around 25 minutes, depending on traffic, to get to Charlotte Square in Edinburgh. The bus stops in front of the National Records Office and that is also where you get the bus again to go back to the ship.

14259663434_5b33eae1ec.jpg

There is a garden and statue in the middle of the square.

14259663134_fd257bf074.jpg

You can also get the hop-on, hop-off bus from the same place. The green line is the one that has a live commentary in English.

14073389029_68da1fb671.jpg

With your back to the Records office and facing the statue, turn right towards Princes Street. It is about 100 yards and in the photo, the building called The Rutland is at the end of Princes Street.

14073407318_56bab93368.jpg

At the other side of Charlotte Square, on the way down to Princes street, you can get a different ho-ho bus, the World Heritage Tour.

14073430140_bb506cfa42.jpg

End of Part 1!

Edited by tartanexile81

When you get to The Rutland, keep on the same side of the road and turn left. You are in Princes Street, the main street.

14257900322_4ed9d039c7.jpg

You can see the castle above you (through the trees!)

14073439768_a0601566e7.jpg

I assume most people will want to get to the Castle / Royal Mile. If you find walking difficult, it is possible to get a bus from Princes Street to fairly close to the castle. It is a #41 and you can check the timetable out here. You should get off at George IV bridge.

http://lothianbuses.com/assets/timetables/r41_130908.pdf

This is the bus stop to look out for. It is about 200 yards along Princes Street.

14260081815_8c02d7029e.jpg

For those who continue walking, it is about 10 minutes along Princes Street, and you come to the National Gallery and The Mound, the street that leads up from Princes Street to the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle

14257932822_7f79e2c986.jpg

I'm sorry this photo is so dark, but it was an overcast day. It is uphill all the way to the Royal Mile, but it shouldn't be any more than 10 minutes and it's worth it:).

I understand that the bus might not be air-conditioned - but can you open the windows?

Thanks,

Drivers can control the temperature so it doesn't get too hot on the bus, but if it's a day like today you won't need air con anyway :(! I haven't actually been on these coaches as I live locally but any other coach I've used has had vents above your head so you can direct the air onto yourselves. The windows don't usually open, unless the sunroof.

Edited by tartanexile81

There was quite a lot of talk on the forum last year about the shuttle bus in South Queensferry for Edinburgh. Some people felt it wasn't always available but all the times I've been volunteering this year it has been there throughout the day. The cost is £10 / $15 /15 euros per person return and the bus leaves when it is full. Today when I was at the pier, there were 3x51-seater coaches and 3 smaller vans.

The buses park at the top of the pier and to your left. Here is the operator showing the board. You pay at the coach:

The coaches depart every ten minutes or so at busy times and it takes around 25 minutes, depending on traffic, to get to Charlotte Square in Edinburgh. The bus stops in front of the National Records Office and that is also where you get the bus again to go back to the ship.

You can also get the hop-on, hop-off bus from the same place. The green line is the one that has a live commentary in English.

With your back to the Records office and facing the statue, turn right towards Princes Street. It is about 100 yards and in the photo, the building called The Rutland is at the end of Princes Street.

At the other side of Charlotte Square, on the way down to Princes street, you can get a different ho-ho bus, the World Heritage Tour.

End of Part 1!

What are shuttle options for people whose ship docks at Rosyth?

Cole

Cole

It very much depends on which line you're cruising with but there is no shuttle to Edinburgh.

Today when I was there, Thomsons (UK cruise operator) had booked 5 shuttle buses to take passengers to the nearest railway station at Inverkeithing. There is an excellent service from there to Edinburgh Waverley so that worked really well. One budget line however didn't have any shuttle buses at all, so passengers were left to use taxis to get to the station / beyond (it costs about £7 to the station). Another complication this year is that the port at Rosyth is a virtual construction site for the new Forth Bridge so restrictions are in place for walking around the port. Depending on which of the two berths you use, the port sometimes has to provide a shuttle to take passengers from the ship to the terminal building. Happy to help if you need any more info about Rosyth.

Edited by tartanexile81

Cole

It very much depends on which line you're cruising with but there is no shuttle to Edinburgh.

Today when I was there, Thomsons (UK cruise operator) had booked 5 shuttle buses to take passengers to the nearest railway station at Inverkeithing. There is an excellent service from there to Edinburgh Waverley so that worked really well. One budget line however didn't have any shuttle buses at all, so passengers were left to use taxis to get to the station / beyond (it costs about £7 to the station). Another complication this year is that the port at Rosyth is a virtual construction site for the new Forth Bridge so restrictions are in place for walking around the port. Depending on which of the two berths you use, the port sometimes has to provide a shuttle to take passengers from the ship to the terminal building. Happy to help if you need any more info about Rosyth.

Thanks for the information. We are on the Ocean Princess. We happen to be with a group that has arranged private transportation, but I was asking in order to post on the Roll Call for others who might have the question.

Cole

OP, we'll be arriving on the Ruby. Can you tell me the benefit of using the shuttle over the train?....is it the location where you are dropped off?

Cannot speak for the shuttle, but we took the train last year and the central station is at Waverly Place, which is centrally located. The train station is an "interesting" walk from the port to the train station. Over the hill and through the woods! :eek: But the train trip was a piece of cake, once we got there.

Cole

OP, we'll be arriving on the Ruby. Can you tell me the benefit of using the shuttle over the train?....is it the location where you are dropped off?

I'm reasonably fit but I would definitely choose the shuttle bus over the train. The cost difference is minimal and I can manage the South Queensferry steps (but many people find them hard - 100+ :o). However, at the end of your day in Edinburgh, when you may well be very tired, you might prefer to get the shuttle right back to the ship without having to walk down from the station.

Both locations are just off Princes Street, which is the main shopping street. The shuttle bus stops at the west end and the train the east end. Both need you to walk uphill to the Castle and Royal Mile but the railway station is closer to the main shops As a local I could probably walk quicker through the back alleys and up various steps from the station to get to the castle but for a tourist less familiar with the city I don't think there's much difference in it. The green hop-on, hop-off bus (my favourite route for a one-day visit to Edinburgh) stops at the same stop as the shuttle bus, whereas it's about a 5 minute walk from the station to the ho-ho bus stop if you're considering that option.

Hope that makes sense but come back to me if I can help with anything else.

Hi Tartanexile,

just a quick question to the public busses. We intend to take the #35 from the Museum of Scotland to Holyrood palace...later on the #36 from Holyrood to Waverly station...Here`s my question: We`re two adults and one 14 year old boy...How do we pay? Directly on the bus? Do we need exact change? Is it worth buying a day/family ticket for those two rides? And do the public busses get through the streets okay during the Fringe festival?

Thank you!

Stef

Hi Tartanexile,

just a quick question to the public busses. We intend to take the #35 from the Museum of Scotland to Holyrood palace...later on the #36 from Holyrood to Waverly station...Here`s my question: We`re two adults and one 14 year old boy...How do we pay? Directly on the bus? Do we need exact change? Is it worth buying a day/family ticket for those two rides? And do the public busses get through the streets okay during the Fringe festival?

Thank you!

Stef

I don't use the buses that much in the city centre because everything is so walkable, but the service is excellent.

As you get on the bus you pay the driver by dropping the coins in the slot and yes with the right money if you have it. I really don't think it's worth buying a day pass for 2 journeys. Buses in Edinburgh are really cheap- only £1.50 per adult journey and 70p for a child. The museum and Holyrood are fairly close and Holyrood and Waverley the same but well done for working out the routes :).

There are lots of street entertainers around the city during the Fringe and others promoting their shows but they are mainly in the pedestrianised areas -on the High Street between North Bridge and George IV bridge, and the Mound on Princes Street. Tourists don't tend to use their cars when going from venue to venue - parking is difficult and very expensive in Edinburgh City Centre - so the buses schedules aren't really affected except for a couple which have to be re-routed round the pedestrianised areas, but that doesn't include the ones you will be using.

Look out for me on the pier when you arrive on Magnifica. I'll be one of the information volunteers in the purple 'uniforms'

Edited by tartanexile81

The museum and Holyrood are fairly close and Holyrood and Waverley the same

lol -- I know, but since we only have one small day to visit your fabulous city the busses will give us a wee bit more time -- even if it`s just a couple of minutes each :). And we love to take local public transport whenever possible. Usually a gazillion less tourists on em than on the Hoho busses :D.

Look out for me on the pier when you arrive on Magnifica. I'll be one of the information volunteers in the purple 'uniforms'

purple tartan? What clan? or is it a special one just for the tourists?

I'd gladly shake the hand of such a wonderful advisor (printed out your excellent guide to Dalmeny station and will take it along:)). We hope to get an early tender. We're the two long haired ladies (one blonde, one brunette) with the Arabian looking kid -- can't miss us. See you then!

Stef

purple tartan? What clan? or is it a special one just for the tourists?

I'd gladly shake the hand of such a wonderful advisor (printed out your excellent guide to Dalmeny station and will take it along:)). We hope to get an early tender. We're the two long haired ladies (one blonde, one brunette) with the Arabian looking kid -- can't miss us. See you then!

Stef

All the volunteers down at the quayside wear purple shirts and jackets. It can be very chilly there and on the tender but warmer when you get to Edinburgh.

Tartanexile81 - Thank you for this information. I'm constantly amazed at all the helpful information I can find on this site. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Barbara

End of Part 1!

This may seem like a silly question, but does "return" mean $15 into Edinburgh and back , or would that price be each way? We call both ways "Round trip" LOL

This may seem like a silly question, but does "return" mean $15 into Edinburgh and back , or would that price be each way? We call both ways "Round trip" LOL

Thanks for that. I'll be in South Queensferry for Ruby's arrival tomorrow and wil pass that on to the shuttle bus operator!

Edited by tartanexile81

Thanks for the info.

What can I expect the temperature to be around July 3?

The main thing to expect about Scotland's weather is that it can be very changeable: this week we've had everything from bright warm sunshine to heavy rain to a cool wind. However at the beginning of July the average temperature is about 20 degrees. As with all cruises around Britain, I'd just wear layers and make sure you've either got a waterproof jacket or umbrella. It is always pretty cold on the tender in the river so be prepared for that, and it's also a few degrees cooler and windier at Hawes Pier than it will be in Edinburgh.