Transportation from Westlake in Seattle to the Pier 91

calisilent

Hi!

DH and I are flying into Seattle the day of our cruise, landing at 8:45 am. I would love to get a take on the experience of anyone who has taken the train that goes from SeaTac to Westlake and then traveled to the ship terminal at Pier 91.

Is it a long walk to the pier from Westlake? Is it a situation where we would call a taxi from Westlake to the ship? We will each have a rolling suitcase and a carryon item to pull if we walk.

Thank you to anyone who can share information!

Cathy

Here's how it would go.

You collect bags in the lower level of the main terminal. You then go up one level (escalators, elevators) to a skybridge that connects to the main airport parking garage. You cross this bridge then follow the marked path that runs all the way diagonally across the parking garage to another skybridge to the light rail station. Buy tickets then one more level up to the trains.

Note the trains don't have designated luggage areas, so be mindful of others in handling your bags.

Ride the train for around 40 minutes to Westlake. With luggage you can take the elevators up to street level. To get to Pier 91 you'll have to take a cab - it's not walkable from downtown (much too far, not pedestrian-friendly at all.)

Finding a cab will probably mean walking to one of the hotels near the Westlake station. Cabs aren't allowed to be hailed in Seattle. So you'll need to figure out where to walk once you're on the street. The Mayflower and Westin hotels are near Westlake, or you may find a cab in front of the Macy's or Nordstrom department stores close to the train station.

The taxi to Pier 91 will probably cost $15 - $20 plus tip.

Pier 91 is around three miles from the commercial core of downtown, so once you're there you're probably stuck until you board your ship. The Port offers luggage storage at the pier if you want to head back into town for a couple of hours (again, two taxi rides) or you can just hang out until it's time to board. If it's on a weekend you can walk around the heads of the cruise piers to a couple of restaurants overlooking the Elliott Bay marina (opposite the cruise terminal) one of which is open on weekends for brunch/lunch; there's also a nice waterfront bike path heading toward town that you can reach in a somewhat roundabout manner. (People at the cruise terminal can direct you.)

The combination of bag claim, walk to the station, train ride, then walk to a taxi stand and cab ride to the cruise terminal will take well over an hour, possibly as long as 90 minutes or more depending on how quickly you get your bags or have to wait for the train. By comparison, a car service or cab from the airport straight to the cruise terminal will cost $50 - $60 and will take 30 -35 minutes. How much is your time worth?

Edited to add - I just saw that you're sailing on Labor Day weekend. That's when a giant music festival, Bumbershoot, is being held at Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) which is reached by the monorail from Westlake Center, the building above the light rail station. Because of this, I'd expect the trains from the airport, and Westlake Station, to be really, really crowded that day. Bumbershoot draws 150,000 - 200,000 people, and you'll be arriving just when the peak flows will he hitting. I'd seriously look at going straight from the airport to T91.

Edited by Gardyloo

cab from the airport straight to the cruise terminal will cost $50 - $60

Less the $15-20 from Westlake to Pier 91 the net cost for saving time would be about $35-40 - less Link light rail tickets too. Given the Bumbershoot issue and depending on how much luggage taxi looks better all around.

Here's how it would go.

Ride the train for around 40 minutes to Westlake. With luggage you can take the elevators up to street level. To get to Pier 91 you'll have to take a cab - it's not walkable from downtown (much too far, not pedestrian-friendly at all.)

The combination of bag claim, walk to the station, train ride, then walk to a taxi stand and cab ride to the cruise terminal will take well over an hour, possibly as long as 90 minutes or more depending on how quickly you get your bags or have to wait for the train. By comparison, a car service or cab from the airport straight to the cruise terminal will cost $50 - $60 and will take 30 -35 minutes. How much is your time worth?

Edited to add - I just saw that you're sailing on Labor Day weekend. That's when a giant music festival, Bumbershoot, is being held at Seattle Center (Space Needle etc.) which is reached by the monorail from Westlake Center, the building above the light rail station. Because of this, I'd expect the trains from the airport, and Westlake Station, to be really, really crowded that day. Bumbershoot draws 150,000 - 200,000 people, and you'll be arriving just when the peak flows will he hitting. I'd seriously look at going straight from the airport to T91.

Thank you SO much, Gardyloo! You answered my question and saved us from crowds I didn't even anticipate. I will absolutely hire a car service and have a more relaxing trip :) I appreciate you taking the time to answer in detail.

Edited by calisilent

Look at flatrateforhire.com Fare would be $37 plus tip from SeaTac (they pick up from the upper departures level) to pier 91. I have used them a lot and they are very dependable. Call them when you get your luggage, go up a level, and they will be there shortly. They call you back when they are there, it has never been more than just a few minutes.

Look at flatrateforhire.com Fare would be $37 plus tip from SeaTac (they pick up from the upper departures level) to pier 91. I have used them a lot and they are very dependable. Call them when you get your luggage, go up a level, and they will be there shortly. They call you back when they are there, it has never been more than just a few minutes.

Thanks for the great tip, Pizzalady! I just looked at Shuttle Express and a towncar is $60 reserved in advance. I kind of like the idea of calling from the airport after landing in case we are delayed for some reason.